Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 23,289 times

Advertisements

Our family are visitors from Louisiana...photographers and historians...Would like to know more history on the old one room school house on the hill off hwy36...Can anyone help us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,916 times
Where is this hill and schoolhouse in relation to the cities or other landmarks? Highway 36 (formerly US-23) was built as a totally new route during the New Deal through open country so most everything along 36 postdates the mid-thirties and I think one room schools were no longer being established by then. I have some old USGS maps that identify schools and churches that might identify the building.

I can't relate to anything like this on 36 between JC and Kingsport which is the only stretch of 36 not co-routed with I-26 according to current maps.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Jim, let me talk to my husband and daughter a little more and I will get back with you...somewhere I read a post that the little school house had been moved from its original location (but not sure). It is right out of Bristol going into Bluff City. Let me get a little more directions for you... Thanks for responding... Anne

Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Do you have a picture of it in its setting?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 AM

Yes I do Beretta...will talk to daughter and get her to help me post a pic of it...maybe by then I will have a little more info on it's exact location...I could get you there, but to explain is a little more difficult for me. There is a house next to it...(So I am assuming they are the ones that had it moved to its present location.)

Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 AM

I need a little help on the picture thingy...all I see is insert and it ask for a http// address... My pictures are on an external disc drive...under computer... How would I go about getting to the pic to post it here? (Just got new computer with 8 on it and boy am I having troubles!!! lol...can you help me with this? Got a great shot of the old school tho.... Thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreud57 View Post
I need a little help on the picture thingy...all I see is insert and it ask for a http// address... My pictures are on an external disc drive...under computer... How would I go about getting to the pic to post it here? (Just got new computer with 8 on it and boy am I having troubles!!! lol...can you help me with this? Got a great shot of the old school tho.... Thanks
You can also attach the pic as a file off of your external disc drive by clicking the paper click on the top bar just to the right of the smiley face when you go to post. When you hover over the paper clip it will highlight and say "Attachments". Click on that and then Select "Choose File" and from there you can find the picture from your external hard drive. Highlight it and then click "Upload". The types of file extensions supported are listed there under the Attachments tab. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more help. It's a little tricky.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Is this it? This pic isn't good but it shows the schoolhouse that sits on a small hill at the intersection of Hwy. 394 and Earhart Rd. in Blountville:

FWIW, it doesn't appear on a 1978 topographic map of the area.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks!! That's it!!! Now to find out a little history...can yall help???

Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM

I don't have a smiley face or paperclip. Mine looks like this:

AA B I U A a pic of a mountain(that says insert) but when you go to it it asks for a http:// address It doesn't give you an option to locate a file... This page actually looks like the top of an outlook program or something... like I said its a new computer and has 8 on it!! I hate it ....its driving me nuts!!! Bought a book for dummies, don't have time to read it! Trial and error is crazy!! lol...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol