Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:17 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,986 times

Advertisements

I vote that this thread be a sticky on the top of the forum where people who are new to the area or just visiting can find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
Anyone that is into motorcycles and even car cruising, should check out the Southern Dozen.
Southern Dozen

12 rides starting in JC that are day trips around the region to some interesting places. The website is geared to motorcyclists, but nothing says these can't be done with the family in the car.
'

Those look really cool. As for us we may only have a full day and a half to show my wife the area. For a trip to the mountains what would you guys suggest? We won't have time for a hike, just a drive to see the beauty. Roan Mountain maybe?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 AM

185 posts, read 289,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
'

Those look really cool. As for us we may only have a full day and a half to show my wife the area. For a trip to the mountains what would you guys suggest? We won't have time for a hike, just a drive to see the beauty. Roan Mountain maybe?
I'd suggest either the Roan Mountain one or even The Snake. We've done both of those on the motorcycle and we've taken the kids on The Snake in the suburban. They had a great time. Besides the super nerve wracking ride across the mountain (maybe not for all, but as much as I love mountains, winding roads across them make my heart pound), the little country store is somewhat entertaining and Backbone Rock is really neat. We went in the fall, but I bet the ride is as gorgeous in the spring.

However, I'd suggest Roan Mountain if you were going to be here around the time of the Rhododendron Festival or blooming. We got here too late for that last year, but I hear that is a really awesome thing to see.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:59 AM

Last weekend, I thought the kids and I would check out Buffalo Mountain Park. What a neat place for shorter mountain hikes! It was a gorgeous day and there were quite a few people out hiking with families and dogs. I honestly didn't realize we had a place like this so close to JC.

Later we dropped by Rocky Mount. I don't know if is genetics or all the museums I "forced" the kids to go to when they were much smaller, but I have a brood of history buffs. We had a really nice time talking to the re-enactors and enjoying a step back in time. If you have any interest at all in local/state/Revolutionary War history, definitely check this out. (They currently have some little lambs on the farm that are just precious too!)

Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 AM

Hey folks, just checking in on the progress of the downtown park. We want to take a trip soon but want to wait until the project has been completed.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM

Dave - Does this help?
The Greening of Founders | Johnson City Press

Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
Boy sure does, thanks. Looks like a trip in May will be OK then huh?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 8,864 times
May is a beautiful time in the mountains. Take the day,drive up to Carvers Gap in Roan Mountain and hike "The Balds" for a couple hours. You will never regret it.
Attached Thumbnails
Must See and Must Do things to do around the Tri-Cities-100_4597-1.jpg  

Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Dog View Post
May is a beautiful time in the mountains. Take the day,drive up to Carvers Gap in Roan Mountain and hike "The Balds" for a couple hours. You will never regret it.

Won't really have time to hike, can we take a trip to Roan Mt and see this type of thing from the car?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Dave, here's a picture of Founder's Park in downtown JC today:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...78282392_n.jpg

Looks like it's ready for your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol