Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

What is the living costs comparing Bristol TN to Bristol VA. Assume the housing is a rental at the same cost and income is retirement with SS as the main income supplemented with a pension.

TN does not tax SS or pensions. VA, no tax on SS but I think they do tax pensions. However I think VA gives people over 65 a $12K deduction. I think VA sales tax is less than 5% and TN is just under 10%.

How do other costs stack up state to state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
You also have a vehicle inspection you have to pass in VA. You can always just run over the VA line and save on tax.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM

I remember reading about a Bristol TN resident who inadvertently bought a furniture set in Bristol VA. The TN tax squad went after her and prosecuted.
You might get away with buying groceries but lookout if you buy a major item and don't pay TN their fair share.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM

17 posts, read 22,791 times
Perhaps this URL will help you research these locations:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:54 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I remember reading about a Bristol TN resident who inadvertently bought a furniture set in Bristol VA. The TN tax squad went after her and prosecuted.
You might get away with buying groceries but lookout if you buy a major item and don't pay TN their fair share.
I have never heard of this occurring. You are supposed to voluntarily disclose that on your TN tax returns, but someone going over the VA line and paying cash for a set of tires or something is essentially untrackable.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
The few large things I've bought in VA for delivery or installation in TN were charged the TN rate of tax at the time of purchase. Lowes, Best Buy and some mattress store were all sure to tell me I was paying the higher rate because of my TN address.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM

The retailer should charge TN tax at the time of sale. Sometimes that doesn't happen. I am no tax authority but I believe it is up to the individual to report such things on the TN income tax.

I am sure that buying non retail would be difficult to track and therefore untraceable. If paying cash or not needing delivery one could give a false address.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 AM

282 posts, read 382,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I think VA sales tax is less than 5% and TN is just under 10%.
It looks to me like the TN state sales tax is 7.0% plus many localities add 2.25%-2.75% for a total of about 9.5%. Also, TN taxes food at 6% and many other states don't tax food; I think VA is 2.5% on food. This list has the local sales taxes. Rates listed include the county and local tax rate.
http://state.tn.us/revenue/pubs/taxlist.pdf

VA sales tax is 4.3% plus 1% local for a total of 5.3% in most areas.

IMO, sales tax is not as big a factor as some may think except on large ticket items like cars. Many living costs don't have sales tax (mortgage, insurance, etc). Calculate the actual amount of your spending on items that have sales tax and from what I estimate the difference between states is typically less than a few hundred per year. However, my estimates between VA and TN has a significant difference maybe a full $1,000 per year due to the rate almost double and the sales tax on food.

With significant pension or investment income, the VA income tax will be more than the savings in sales tax. But if Social Security is most of your income, then the sales tax might be larger. Put some estimated numbers in (Pension, investment, amount on sales tax items). For what it is worth, the IRS tables for the sales tax option for a single exemption filer with $45k income show $794 for TN and $368 for VA (your spending level may differ). See instructions for form 1040.

Last edited by CSRSJim; 08-31-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol