Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 21,126 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Tri-Cities in a few months. I'll be working in Bristol at the hospital. We are leaning more to living in Johnson City since the school district is one of the best in the area. After looking through things, many people are mentioning the Tree Streets as a good neighborhood. is this too far a commute to the hospital in Bristol?

We have 2 children. It looks like this neighborhood is a very involved community. Is that a correct assumption? Is it a safe and good area for a family?

Lastly, our price range these next 2-3 years will be on the low end since my spouse will stay at home with my kids. The budget we are looking at is around 130-150k buying or around 1200ish max renting. Do properties in the tree streets rent/sell for that or are we needing to look elsewhere?

If so, anyone know other good alternatives for neighborhoods that are really community-oriented like that one seems to be where it's easy for kids to meet other kids, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 03:25 PM

677 posts, read 1,074,007 times
I live in the Tree Streets and love it. There is an excellent elementary school in the neighborhood (Southside) and it is very kid-friendly. The Southside Neighborhood Organization is very active and host events such as an annual 4th of July parade and a gigantic neighborhood-wide yard sale every September. The neighborhood borders ETSU and as such, is home to a wide mix of people from all over the country (and world). Residents range from families with kids, to college professors, to professionals, to retirees, to college students, to fraternity houses.It is still an evolving neighborhood and because of this, there are some rough spots and many cases of beautifully restored historic homes next to run-down apartment houses.

As far as the commute, you're probably looking at 40-50 minutes. I commuted to Bristol for a couple years and it's really not bad. It's 4-lane road and/or interstate the entire way and traffic is negligible. It's worth living in JC for the schools alone.

Finally, your price range could be an issues. For reference, we bought our 3BR 1 bath 1,50 s.f. house three years ago for 128k. It was a former rental and needed some upgrades. Be aware that pretty much all the houses in the neighborhood were built prior to 1940 and some have been maintained better than others. On the rental side, though, your budget is ok. In fact there is a 3BR 2 bath house across the street for me right now for rent for $875. There are quite a few rentals in the neighborhood and nearly all or below $1,000.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:56 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
I was set to tell you that the commute was far too long. However, Google states that the travel time is ~35 minutes. You'll put some miles on the car though: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sout...7!2d36.5862714

Old 03-01-2016, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 11,290 times
ehhhh....the Commute might be a LITTLE too long...and I say that as someone who traveled from Kingsport to Johnson City and back for 5 years and it definitely got old. I also dont think the Tree Streets are the greatest area for families anymore....and again,this is coming from someone who grew up there and walked to South Side School and back starting in the first grade. The neighborhood has changed A LOT and now its mostly college kids....there is a lot of college-level mischief and even a fair amount of crime the closer you get to Walnut St. and the Acoustic Coffee House/Maple St. areas. I think you might have better luck looking at the Indian Trial and Town Acres school areas in JC.....maybe somewhere around North Johnson City or the Boones Creek area....possibly even Gray,although I dont know how the schools are in that area.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
That's just not true. There are hundreds of families living in the Tree Streets neighborhood. It is one of Johnson City's safe, family-oriented communities.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I am not sure it would even take 35 minutes. It is all interstate with virtually no traffic. Once you get to 26, you can basically leadfoot it up there.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBATMAN View Post
ehhhh....the Commute might be a LITTLE too long...and I say that as someone who traveled from Kingsport to Johnson City and back for 5 years and it definitely got old. I also dont think the Tree Streets are the greatest area for families anymore....and again,this is coming from someone who grew up there and walked to South Side School and back starting in the first grade. The neighborhood has changed A LOT and now its mostly college kids....there is a lot of college-level mischief and even a fair amount of crime the closer you get to Walnut St. and the Acoustic Coffee House/Maple St. areas. I think you might have better luck looking at the Indian Trial and Town Acres school areas in JC.....maybe somewhere around North Johnson City or the Boones Creek area....possibly even Gray,although I dont know how the schools are in that area.
This couldn't be more false. There are more families in the neighborhood now than there were a generation ago. I have a young daughter and one of the reasons I bought a house in the Tree Streets was due to the number of families. During the summer the streets are filled with kids playing and families on walks. Sure there are college kids and rental houses but this is not the dominant characteristic.

There is occasional petty crime such as thefts from unlocked cars but this is not uncommon for an urban neighborhood. Violent crime is practically unheard of as is the case pretty much everywhere in JC. The bottom line is the housing prices speak for themselves. This is a desirable neighborhood.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 11,290 times
I think you guys are looking at the tree streets through rose tinted glasses. I work close to there and know a lot of the college students that live there-there is a fair amount of crime in and around the Maple St/Acoustic Coffee House area. A lot of the homes in the tree streets have been converted into duplexs and rented out to the college students and this is also the area where all of the ETSU sorroritys and fraternities are located. You're right about there being no more violent crime than anywhere else in JC,but there are a lot of burglaries,auto vandalism,home invasions,and just general drunken college student antics. SOME of the tree street areas are very nice-and some aren't. And there are many areas in and around JC that are nicer....IMHO,the tree streets are overrated....but agree to disagree,I guess.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:28 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
But aren't the ETSU sorrorities and fraternities moving to on campus locations in the near future?

Old 03-02-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
But aren't the ETSU sorrorities and fraternities moving to on campus locations in the near future?
The sororities are already on campus. They've never had houses in the Tree Streets. There are four fraternity houses in the neighborhood, none particularly large, and they will probably be on campus within the next 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol