Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,631,437 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the origin of the name buffalo mountain?

All that I can think of is maybe the shape of it resembles a buffalo hump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:28 AM

677 posts, read 1,075,898 times
What I've always heard is that a well-worn buffalo trail followed along the base of the mountain. Basically what is now S. Roan St., Buffalo Rd., and Cherokee Rd. This later evolved into a Native American trail, wagon road, then automobile road. The proximity of the mountain to this trail resulted in the name.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:04 PM

245 posts, read 653,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
All that I can think of is maybe the shape of it resembles a buffalo hump.
Not sure about a buffalo hump, but there certainly has been some humping going on there, at least in years past. Many years ago, one of my co-workers was one of many gay men busted there. The JC Press published their photos, names, and addresses on the front page.

The Press enjoys humiliating gay men like that, unless those busted are prominent businessmen or have their names on medical schools. Then they'll sue for the info but won't publish it or they'll simply ignore it.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:50 PM

Use a public park for those purposes and you deserve whatever notoriety/humiliation you get.

Get a hotel room - you can do whatever you want and no one should bother you.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
What I've always heard is that a well-worn buffalo trail followed along the base of the mountain. Basically what is now S. Roan St., Buffalo Rd., and Cherokee Rd. This later evolved into a Native American trail, wagon road, then automobile road. The proximity of the mountain to this trail resulted in the name.
Well that's very interesting and highly plausible. I knew there were buffalo in these areas, I just discounted the link because buffalo usually don't climb mountains, but a nearby trail, that certainly makes sense. I bet there's a tie in to the Milligan area. (Milligan Buffalo, Buffalo Creek, etc)

Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 PM

245 posts, read 653,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Use a public park for those purposes and you deserve whatever notoriety/humiliation you get.

Get a hotel room - you can do whatever you want and no one should bother you.
agreed. I object to the difference in the way the paper treated arrests; that "What the People Don't Know WILL Hurt Them" masthead is bunk. Those who got busted for it and were nobodies got their pictures and names plastered on the front page. Yet, those who were prominent never had the Press publish their names or anything at all about them. There was a huge ETSU bathroom scandal when I lived in JC. Since most of those busted were prominent, they never even got charged. One student did. And when the Press sued for the release of the ETSU police records, they won and that was that -- they didn't publish the names.

Winter 1986-87 by Student Press Law Center

Same with the guy whose name was removed from the medical school. His named was removed from the medical school for a reason, but you'd never know that by reading the JC paper. If he's a guy working the rack at Jiffy Lube and gets busted, though -- front page.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:55 AM

73 posts, read 113,914 times
rccrain is correct. According to what I could find out, there was a herd of somewhere between 8 to 10 thousand buffalo that used the trail and grazed in the area "Buffalo Valley".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol