Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 AM

51 posts, read 92,397 times

Advertisements

I believe Solar Hill is on the Virginia side of Bristol, but since i couldn't find anything about it in the Virginia forums I thought i would check here. I am looking to retire to the country or the mountains and the Tri-cities area is high on my list. I want an older RENOVATED home and have heard of Fairmount and then Solar Hill. Can anyone tell me anything about Solar Hill as a neighborhood ? from Google Maps it looks like it is right at the downtown area. I will be living alone, or maybe with a friend, schools don't matter to me and i already accept that Bristol doesn't have all that Johnson City has. the homes in Bristol are more in my price range then say the "tree streets", but i see 2 large renovated homes listed for sale in Solar Hill and both have been for sale a very long time. Is there a reason Solar Hill should be avoided ? thank you in advance for any information. I will be heading to the area in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:47 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,627,534 times
Not that familiar with Solar Hill, but walking distance to the Library and Blackbird Bakery would be nice.

Moore St is close by, which has some section 8 apartments, but Solar Hill might be tucked away enough to avoid any associated crime. Seriously, I grew up in Bristol and I had to look at a map to discover where you were talking about.

I'm more familiar with Fairmount, as I went to King College and went to Church in that neighborhood for a while. Most of it is pretty nice enough and safe but I don't think it will have the character of Solar Hill - from what I understand.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:50 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I wasn't even familiar with the name, but I've driven through that neighborhood many times and know where you're talking about. It's a beautiful area with a lot of historic homes - according to what I'm seeing on Trulia, many are in good shape and move in ready.

Crime seems minimal, though you are somewhat close to downtown and its bar scene. IMO, somewhere like Solar Hill will have upside as Bristol's downtown keeps coming along.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Not that familiar with Solar Hill, but walking distance to the Library and Blackbird Bakery would be nice.

Moore St is close by, which has some section 8 apartments, but Solar Hill might be tucked away enough to avoid any associated crime. Seriously, I grew up in Bristol and I had to look at a map to discover where you were talking about.

I'm more familiar with Fairmount, as I went to King College and went to Church in that neighborhood for a while. Most of it is pretty nice enough and safe but I don't think it will have the character of Solar Hill - from what I understand.

A realtor over the phone who works both sides of the state line referred to it as Solar Hill. Section 8 apartments I would not be happy about but the houses look interesting and I have lived in an urban setting before and being able to walk downtown would be nice. Thank you for your response.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wasn't even familiar with the name, but I've driven through that neighborhood many times and know where you're talking about. It's a beautiful area with a lot of historic homes - according to what I'm seeing on Trulia, many are in good shape and move in ready.

Crime seems minimal, though you are somewhat close to downtown and its bar scene. IMO, somewhere like Solar Hill will have upside as Bristol's downtown keeps coming along.

thank you for letting me know that. i haven't been to Bristol in 10 to 12 years. I'm not a bar-goer but i didn't realize it had a bar scene !

Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterVa View Post
A realtor over the phone who works both sides of the state line referred to it as Solar Hill. Section 8 apartments I would not be happy about but the houses look interesting and I have lived in an urban setting before and being able to walk downtown would be nice. Thank you for your response.
You probably reasoned this but just to be clear, the section 8 is not in Solar Hill, it is in an adjacent neighborhood. In this case, the rough neighborhood is literally "on the other side of the tracks". This probably, along with the topography, insulates Solar Hill. As far as any residual crime, you might ask your realtor or the local police department --- which just so happens to be on Moore St. Like I said, I lived in Bristol for 20 years and had never heard of or been to Solar Hill. It's probably a quiet neighborhood that nobody happens upon unless you're looking for it.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterVa View Post
thank you for letting me know that. i haven't been to Bristol in 10 to 12 years. I'm not a bar-goer but i didn't realize it had a bar scene !
It's not a party district but there will be some coming and going, especially on Friday and Saturday night. I doubt it would be a problem.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,808,263 times
I've driven through Solar Hill many times, usually via Sycamore Street. My aunt lived in the only Section 8 housing I know of on Moore St (Leisure Park Towers) for 15 years or so. I visited her frequently and never felt unsafe when wandering around the surrounding area. There is virtually no crime associated w/ the residents there; most are elderly or disabled.

There are seven public housing areas nearby, most of them a block or two SW of the former Virginia Intermont campus, but Solar Hill doesn't feel the least bit unsafe.

A friend of my aunt renovated one of the homes on Solar Hill you're probably looking at. FWIW, here are some shots of the area I took almost 8 years ago.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:48 PM

15 posts, read 29,604 times
I lived in two different apartments in the Solar Hill area. It's one of the oldest historical areas of Bristol, and the old hospital is still there. It's some sort of assisted living apartment home for disabled low-income folks. You'll notice if you drive through the area, several homes have historical markers. Many homes in that area were very grand once; ballrooms, parlors, large rooms with high ceilings....they must have been something to see in their heyday. If they've been for sale for a long time, there is probably is a small market for someone with the cash to buy it, fix it, and then actually live in it. They all need so much work. The two I houses I lived in were broken into 4 or more apartments. Finding something completely renovated is going to be hard, and the people I know who live in houses in that area, have been in the process of renovating for years. On the good side, it's an excellent, excellent location for being close to downtown and walking to all the events and festivals that Bristol has. You can't beat it for that, and that's the main reason the people I know stay there. Solar Hill has great access to what you might need during the week and has several exit/entry points; any direction you might want to go. It was generally a very quiet area. Moore street, which is several blocks over, was not. I'd pick Solar Hill over Moore in a heartbeat; can't even hardly compare the two. You could actually walk to a lot of what you might need. Banks, restaurants, bakery, bars, police station, grocery store, shops, antique stores, gas stations, park; so much!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
I've driven through Solar Hill many times, usually via Sycamore Street. My aunt lived in the only Section 8 housing I know of on Moore St (Leisure Park Towers) for 15 years or so. I visited her frequently and never felt unsafe when wandering around the surrounding area. There is virtually no crime associated w/ the residents there; most are elderly or disabled.

There are seven public housing areas nearby, most of them a block or two SW of the former Virginia Intermont campus, but Solar Hill doesn't feel the least bit unsafe.

A friend of my aunt renovated one of the homes on Solar Hill you're probably looking at. FWIW, here are some shots of the area I took almost 8 years ago.
BEAUTIFUL photographs and that first photograph of the large home with green tile roof IS one of the homes I am interested in. my understanding is that the city treasurer for Bristol lives there and has had it for sale, on and off for years. Thank you for sharing the photos and information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol