Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 PM

37 posts, read 105,841 times

Advertisements

Reading all the posts makes one smile and make your realize how diverse we all are. I was born and raised in rural Ga near Atlanta. Went to Northern Florida in 80's and my job eventually caused me to move to Atlanta. Long story short. Between the hard times, the 10 cent millionaires, the terrible and I mean terrible schools, my husband who is from Jax and I decided to move back to Inverness. We are raising our grandkids..We adopted them. Best move I have ever made. Slow pace but not too slow. Retired military disabled husband and we are baby boomers with 2 children , one teen one 6. Beautiful nature and scenery and forget the 4 seasons, I thought I missed them too but they are getting pretty rare. Fall comes and goes so fast you might say two week, same with spring. Winter is miseralbe and nothing to do for kids. Not where we were and we had a College up the road. Money money money grabbers including the utility companies. Redneck and educated beyond intelligence for the most part there. Nope Inverness best move we have ever made and I have lived in Ga..all over, Texas, Oklahoma,
Tennessee, and Florida. Traveled 46 states and by far, this is the best for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,745 times
Jackassville Native here until about 5 - 6 years ago. Been back only 1 time to show off my new daughter to my Family. I dont miss a thing else about Jax.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,452 times
This post will probably be removed because expressing a negative opinion about this area is apparently forbidden, but I recommend against moving here. There is really nothing to do here unless you are a kid.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
This post will probably be removed because expressing a negative opinion about this area is apparently forbidden, but I recommend against moving here. There is really nothing to do here unless you are a kid.
Kind of funny because my DD were talking about this the other day, she wondered what it would have been like to grow up here and what do the kids do for fun. I mean my gosh, "there's no zoo, no childrens' museum, no roller coasters", etc. City kids, pfft! It's all what you're used to I guess.

I think my daughter would agree that if you are young and single, looking for lots of excitement this is not the most promising area to move to.

However it's not really fair to say you recommend to everyone that they not move here. Not everyone looking to move to this area is looking for the same kind of lifestyle that you would apparently like to have.
This place is great for families, empty nesters, retirees, and even for young people who are more into a laid back, outdoorsy type of life. I work with a young lady who is very, very into motorcycles, she loves what this area has to offer.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,875 times
Default Truly God's Country!!

South Floridian myself..(Homestead area, couple hours from Key West). Newly transplanted as of couple weeks ago to TN (outside of Nashville) which has a charm all of it's own, but what you have there in East TN is breath-taking! You guys are truly blessed! You can appreciate without a doubt the works of His Majesty! Not to mention the people of TN. We were greeted by the neighbors with a fudge pie, (never had one before, awesome!!) Who does that? We will be relocating to the East in a few short months. Thank you for letting me share in this most awesome place. Be blessed all.

Betsey

Old 06-25-2011, 06:14 AM

218 posts, read 455,063 times
A Jax native here. I, on the other hand, moved from jax to johnson city, and HATED it. I didn't want to go in the first place. I didn't stay very long. I even missed my Jax news anchor people. I missed Rex on Beach Blvd. I missed everything. It was too slow and I got car sickness everytime I went somewhere because of the dang mountains. I loved visiting there, it IS beautiful and the people are so so so nice, but it just wasn't for me. I missed the warmth and the beaches, and above all else FLAT LAND! But that was just my experience.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 639 times
One more Floridian moving to TN - we bought our place in Sneedville TN and with every trip up there we keep moving our retirement date up! We are from Fernandina Beach FL and everyone down here cannot believe what we have done; our small town is now overrun - our 2 lane drawbridge is now 4 lanes and fixing to be 6 lanes; the neighbors move in and out so quick that we can't keep up with them. We found exactly what we were craving in this little TN town - everyone we have met up there are the friendliest people and they go out of their way to either help us with any problems or they find someone to help us. Cannot wait to move and become a fellow Tennessian(?) - this is coming from a Georgia Boy and a summer Chattanooga woman.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
Ha! Every great company in America is on your stupid Toxic 100 list.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 14,417 times
I see similarities in GA Native's moves and ours. DH and I were both born and raised in GA; hubby on 20 acres in the country, me in suburbs to start and kinda country metro area the end of my childhood. We were in south Texas for 7 years, back to GA and 30 years in FL. Never wanted to be in FL but followed inlaws there, raised our kids there and said, WHY are we here? We set up a plan about 4 or 5 years ago to move to northeast TN where my husband's heart has been for awhile, and he won me over. We have been here since Feb in the tri-cities area and would never ever return
to FL. The climate agrees with us SO much better than FL's heat and humidity. We don't know when we have ever enjoyed a summer more than this year.

I will say that we were in north central FL and that is a good spot if you are going to live in FL. Nice conservative, family-friendly area and not the worst weather in the state. Not far from Orlando's fun but not close enough for the rat race. I have a friend in Inverness which was about 50 min drive from us, we were in the Ocala area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol