Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,920 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are considering a relocation to the Kingsport area. We have three little girls so the educational system is the most important thing to us. We have done research online and it looks like Sullivan County has a "good" school district. Is this true? We are looking for an area that has great schools and community combined. PLEASE HELP!
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,167 times
The city schools in Kingsport are very good. I'm not sure of the elementary schools but Dobyns-Bennett is a really great high school, probably the best in all of upper East TN. Maybe someone can help you out with more specifics on the elementary schools.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 20,520 times
Smile info

Search for the national center for education statistics. It is sort of helpful. After you search by city or zip code, you select the school and it breaks the school down by kids in grade, demographics, student/teacher ratio, things of that sort. Hope it helps. I think the website is nces.ed.gov. If you that doesn't work try a google search.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times
As you probably already know, Kingsport City and Sullivan County are two different school systems. If you think you'll live in Kingsport, Washington Elementary is probably the top primary school though several others are very good. Both Sevier & Robinson are fine middle schools and Dobyns-Bennett (D-B) is a first-rate high school.

As for county schools near Kingsport, I would focus on Sullivan South and its feeder schools rather than Sullivan North. South doesn't have quite the reputation that D-B does, but it's not far behind.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM

8 posts, read 19,880 times
Hi-
We moved 4 weeks ago from Houston to Kingsport, with our three little girls. Our oldest is at Washington Elementary. Everybody I have met raves about how good this school is. We're very pleased so far. It's a multi-age school, where K-2 kids are together, and 3-5 kids are together.
I found a preschool for our middle daughter, and I'm pleased with that, too.
As mentioned, the high school is supposed to be top-notch, also.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,557 times
For anyone who is still curious about this question, I grew up in the city schools and I would say that Dobyns Bennett is a strong school, Robinson and Severe are both strong, but Robinson is a bit less intimidating. And if your child works well with combined classes then Washington is good, but Jefferson Elementary is better if your child would not be as good in that situation. The new school John Adams is supposed to be great as well but I do not know as much about it.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 AM

81 posts, read 166,003 times
I'll second Washington as an excellent school. However, keep in mind they won't be at Washington long than you'll be taking them to Sevier and DB which gets tiresome when they have something after school every day of the week. I love to drive, and I'm getting tired of it!

Had I thought this out more I would have moved closer to town so it didn't seem like I was traveling so long. It's not really that far, I can get from my house to DB in about 15 minutes, but sometimes that drive seems so much longer. Multiply that by the fact my daughter has something after school every day of the week and she's not old enough to drive yet, and you can see why it gets old fast!

Also keep in mind that if they are within a mile of the school the buses will not pick them up and they'll have to either be driven or they'll have to walk.

If I had to do it over again I'd still pick Kingsport City Schools over Sullivan County though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol