Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 08:28 AM

640 posts, read 697,191 times

Advertisements

So our friends in Hawkins County are back at it.

In an earlier episode, the mayor of Mt. Carmel was hit with a default $570K judgement for embezzling from his grandmother.

Kingsport Times-News: West Virginia court orders Mount Carmel mayor to pay $570K in embezzlement lawsuit

In this week's episode we have an alderman resigning, audience members storming out, an interim police chief who is sick two months per year, and an attempt to fire a city manager who was just hired last year.

Kingsport Times-News: Attempt to fire Mount Carmel city manager fails

And all of this is after the town government pretty much tore itself apart several years ago over the senior center (of all things) and a police officer being fired.

Kingsport Times-News: Conflict of interest? Mayor alone will decide outcome of fired MCPD officer's appeal

I did not realize that Mt. Carmel has a population of over 5400 folks. Still, I think if I lived in Mt. Carmel, I would be circulating a petition to disincorporate the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I remember some of these issues.

I never make it down to that side of town. I had a girlfriend that lived in Church Hill, then moved to Surgoinsville. Hawkins County has always been the butt of jokes and the Mt. Carmel stories just feed into that. Hawkins County cannot manage itself effectively.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
Bluff City has been pretty quiet recently. Maybe it passed the crazy baton to Mt Carmel.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM

640 posts, read 697,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Bluff City has been pretty quiet recently. Maybe it passed the crazy baton to Mt Carmel.
My favorite Bluff City tale is when the Bluff City police department let their website registration lapse. It was picked up by a person vociferously opposed to automated ticketing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170220...citypd.com:80/

http://www.cnet.com/news/man-buys-po...etting-ticket/

I guess he got bored and quit updating it, but I thought it was quite entertaining. And the BCPD whined how unfair it was for the guy to be using their web address (bluffcitypd.com) which they forgot to pay for.

Me, I would think they could use some of their speed camera booty to pay their bills.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:40 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Bluff City is busy trying to rework their sewer system so it isn't flowing into Boone Lake. Next time you speak with Mayor Wells, ask her about that and see what sort of response you get.

"Never happened"....except there are plenty of pictures which suggest otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol