Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 09:56 AM

430 posts, read 283,335 times

Advertisements

We are coming to NE TN again a little later this year. I am hoping to nail down the place we want to live. Jonesborough is pretty high on the list so far, but we want to spend a little time looking all around the area. I can't find anything on these forums about Gray Acres. Is this just considered a subdivision of Bristol? We haven't looked at that area before, Bluff City, Gray Acres, etc. What can you tell me about it. We will also be looking more closely at Unicoi, Elizabethton, etc.

Like a big percentage of others on here, we will be retiring. And like the others we are looking for a decent area not too far from some shopping, health care, etc. All help is appreciated, looking forward to settling there before too much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 10:27 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
We are coming to NE TN again a little later this year. I am hoping to nail down the place we want to live. Jonesborough is pretty high on the list so far, but we want to spend a little time looking all around the area. I can't find anything on these forums about Gray Acres. Is this just considered a subdivision of Bristol? We haven't looked at that area before, Bluff City, Gray Acres, etc. What can you tell me about it. We will also be looking more closely at Unicoi, Elizabethton, etc.

Like a big percentage of others on here, we will be retiring. And like the others we are looking for a decent area not too far from some shopping, health care, etc. All help is appreciated, looking forward to settling there before too much longer.
Gray is basically a suburban area in between Johnson City and Kingsport.

Gray has a few sit-down restaurants, the usual fast food chains, a Walgreen's, and a Food City. Otherwise, it's a drive back to Johnson City for most of anything.

Unless you need proximity to Kingsport, Jonesborough is nicer than Gray IMO.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Gray is basically a suburban area in between Johnson City and Kingsport.

Gray has a few sit-down restaurants, the usual fast food chains, a Walgreen's, and a Food City. Otherwise, it's a drive back to Johnson City for most of anything.

Unless you need proximity to Kingsport, Jonesborough is nicer than Gray IMO.
I'm looking at a little place called Gray Acres, NorthEast of JC, just south of Bristol.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
I'm looking at a little place called Gray Acres, NorthEast of JC, just south of Bristol.
That's outside the Bristol city limits, in Sullivan county, and yes it looks like it's just a subdivision. I don't think there's anybody on this board very familiar with that area.

I doubt there's anything worrisome there, although it is about 15-20 minutes from walmart or the grocery stores in the area. If you're ok with Bristol you could probably just as easily find something within the city limits more conveniently located, unless you specifically want to avoid the city?

What made you look at gray acres? There IS also Gray, TN, that SC is talking about, in a different area, that would be more likely to show up in real estate searches.

Last edited by DubbleT; 03-13-2020 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-13-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's outside the Bristol city limits, in Sullivan county, and yes it looks like it's just a subdivision. I don't think there's anybody on this board very familiar with that area.
I doubt there's anything worrisome there, although it is about 15-20 minutes from walmart or the grocery stores in the area. If you're ok with Bristol you could probably just as easily find something within the city limits more conveniently located, unless you specifically want to avoid the city?
What made you look at gray acres?
Just looking all over the area to see what places we will be sure to visit on the next trip. I saw a very nice looking house listed in Gray Acres. We hope to be close to city, but a little on the rural side. 15 to 20 minutes isn't a problem at all. We have looked more at the JC area rather than Bristol, but still in a bit of "discovery" phase.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:42 PM

If you plan to consider the county make sure you check into things like trash disposal, fire and EMT services, etc., things not covered by county taxes.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you plan to consider the county make sure you check into things like trash disposal, fire and EMT services, etc., things not covered by county taxes.
Yes, that is definitely something we inquire about. We have scratched a couple off of the list due to that. We have lived in some pretty remote areas at times in the past, but now we have been in Southern California long enough to be quite urbanized. The comforts of good trash service, water and sewer, and utilities are pretty addictive.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:51 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I'm a Bristol city resident and I grew up in the county.

Around here, you pay city AND county property taxes if you live in the city. In exchange, you get city services. My county taxes around $500 and city taxes about $375. My trash/water/sewer is generally about $50/month. In the county, you pay more for water, and most neighborhoods are on septic or private trash collection.

If you're considering Bristol, you want to be on BTES. They have the best electric and internet service in the area.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:43 AM

143 posts, read 220,318 times
Please be aware that a good many areas of northeast Tennessee are very religious and VERY conservative. Trash service, water, and sewer are not at the top of their list of essentials. They might burn their own trash or privately contract, dig a well, and install a septic tank. Raising taxes for these services is neither a priority nor welcome.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
Trash service, water, and sewer are not at the top of their list of essentials. They might burn their own trash or privately contract, dig a well, and install a septic tank. Raising taxes for these services is neither a priority nor welcome.
Not specific to TN, and nothing to to do with religion. But yes, there are a lot of folks here in TN (and elsewhere) who choose to forgo the higher taxes and provided services of living within city boundaries in favor of paying lower taxes. It's good to have choices. I think OP is probably aware of that if they have previously lived rural.
I would urge OP to not dismiss living within city limits if they simply want a country 'feel'. Here in the tri-cities it's possible to get an approximation of that without having to be in the counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol