Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:15 AM

54 posts, read 161,456 times

Advertisements

We are taking the big step July 10th. My husband's retirement with the state of Florida will be final. Our house is now up for sale (north central Florida) and we are going to northeast (and southeast) Tennessee in two weeks to look for a house and put some earnest $ on it. We are originally from GA and came to Florida a long time ago to follow my husband's parents. We have wished many times we didn't move here, but Florida is fine for those who like it. It's just that our hearts have pretty much always been where cooler weather and mountains are.

Please talk to me about the areas of Greene, Washington, Carter counties and further south, Monroe, Loudon and McMinn counties. We want a 2+ acre piece of property and inexpensive home on it, meaning inexpensive. So it can be older or even possibly a mobile home, but just not run down. We don't want to be too far out from larger towns (not necessarily big cities except maybe Knoxville) because in reality, dh will probably still have to work part time at least. And I hope to work part time for Weight Watchers again when I get back to my goal.

Thank you for any help and ideas.......anyone from Elizabethton out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
We live in Telford, just outside of Jonesborough. We are about 12 miles from Johnson City, 15 miles from Greeneville, and 21 miles from Kingsport. The area is rural with nice mountain views. We moved here last year from Jacksonville, Florida and I highly endorse the area. Good luck on your move.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Williboy, thank you for that endorsement! My husband loves Jonesborough/JC! He has tried to get on with the probation/parole office in JC and had 2 interviews but wasn't hired. We have spent a year going back and forth for him to apply but I think because of his age and the fact that we didn't live there yet, he has not been able to get hired. We've been all over the state of TN for him to apply about 8 times! So we started thinking, he is close to retirement (very close) so why not just hang it up and come to TN anyway!!
Do you have to go to JC for most shopping and how far is it from Jonesborough? I know the mountain roads are something else! I've been on them between the two towns.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
We live 4 miles out of Jonesborough. Jonesborough has enough grocery stores and resturants, but for dept. stores, movies, and other stuff we usually go into Johnson City or Greeneville. They are starting clearing for a new Lowe's Home Store in Jonesborough. We really love it out here.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:18 AM

JC has Walmarts too, right?? lol

Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 76,747 times
Default Looking for advice on land

I will be coming this summer to buy land in East Tn.
I've been giving some thought to what I want to use the land for and it isn't truly just a vacation home. I am a teacher so I will be going there for three months during the summer with my husband and 10 and 11 year old sons. It will be a home away from home. When I picture the land of my dreams it is wooded with running water (creek) or a pond with views of mountains, it has clearing for a house, electric is available, water is available ,and it is within 30 minutes of a small city (like Maryville) but yet still is a bit remote so I am not surrounded by buildings in 20 years. I picture this land something my boys can go exploring on now and have access to canoeing or boating. I also picture them growing up in the area during the summers and possibly moving to when they are older. This is not going to be property bought as an investment just for money but an investment in our family life. I want a property with some restrictions so I know the area will stay nice. I've heard the schools in Maryville are very good and the city is nice. When I retire in 10-15 years I hope to volunteer or substitute teach.
Right now I am also thinking about land near Pikeville or Mcminnville because I have friends who have bought there. I just don't want to be in an area that is so remote that I am unhappy living there. We have friends who have moved to Franklin because they work in Nashville but I prefer East TN. I've also seen some beautiful properties on Watts Bar Lake and Tellico Lake. My price range is $8K per acre and I am looking for about 10 acres.
It seems like I am rambling but I'm just trying to let you know what I'm thinking. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thank You!!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Johnson City has two Wal-Marts, as do Kingsport and Bristol, I think.

Not sure what mountain roads you were on between Jonesborough and Johnson City! The easiest and fastest way to commute between the two is the 11-E which is rather flat and four lanes. Of course, you can pick various other circuitous routes (down 67 and back around, down Greenwood Drive, out Walnut St/Main St, etc) but none of them are real mountain roads, either.

As far as Greene County goes, you would likely want to move to the Southern or (preferrably) Eastern part of the county. Greene county is one of the largest in the state, and moving to a western location (say, St. James or Cedar Creek) can easily add 20-45 minutes to your commute to work or even your drive into town. That's reaaaally important, lol. Greeneville has all the usual fare, Walmart, Lowe's, Applebee's, six or eight McDonalds, a few good indie places, tons of churches, and a surprisingly strong economy. Right near it is Tusculum, home of one of the older colleges in the nation. This area (Tusculum/Afton/Chuckey/Hwys 107 and 11E) is your best bet in Greene County as you can be into town in 5-10 minutes and in Johnson City, during off traffic times in 25-35 minutes, depending on where you're going in JC.

Can't speak as much for Washington and Carter counties. Grew up in Greene County, so I know it much better. Much of Washington is pretty well developed save for the more remote parts, and it is growing at a rapid pace, especially in Jonesborough, North Johnson City, and out the Bristol Hwy towards Piney Flats. If you're looking to be in a smaller-feeling setting and still be very convenient to the city itself, I'd recommend somewhere in South Johnson City, past the college, maybe just before the (unincorporated) community of Garbers. All of Cherokee Road is just beautiful and has an "established" feel to it. This is the 'secret' area of Washington County IMO, away from all the transplants building their cookie cutter McMansions in North JC! Antioch Road is another nice area in South JC, and it is getting developed pretty fast.

Just for reference, Johnson City is generally considered the retail, entertainment and cultural capital of the Northeast TN/Southwest VA region. As the cities grow, that is changing (e.g. Target is now in Kingsport and Bristol, as well). Kingsport and Bristol are the other two fair-sized cities, and all others (Greeneville, Erwin) are small cities.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks for all that info, jabog. We stayed in a motel on Andrew Johnson Hwy when my husband went for one interview. I forget if that is G'ville or JC, I think it's G'ville isn't it? Both of them seemed so big to me compared to what we are looking for (they are just a little smaller than Ocala which is close to us and growing by leaps and bounds), yet I like having access to these places if not too close in to the city. We did drive around the back roads (you could tell, couldn't you?). That was definitely a backroad my dh took to Jonesborough, lol. He drove out of JC and it was a very narrow country road that went straight UP.

We don't want to hear cars, neighbors talking (unless they are visiting!), or anything much but birds and frogs and a creek washing over rocks. We don't mind a drive to go to a bluegrass festival now and then or to go to Walmart. We live about 15-20 minutes from all the Walmarts here, and living 30 minutes away would be fine. lol When we move there we will pretty much plant ourselves at home. We did look at a couple places that were back off the beaten path, but not quite far enough for us.

I just saw your post today as I got busy yesterday.......

Old 05-10-2008, 11:50 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Oh, so you're looking for *remote*. I would say the closer you can get to the North Carolina line, the better. In the general area of Unicoi (the town, which is in Unicoi County), near Erwin, or somewhere around Mtn City/Butler in Johnson County is going to be your best bet, I would imagine. Or maybe somewhere in Carter County, but I don't know that county very well at all. (Sorry!) Otherwise you'd probably be better off looking west of the Tri-Cities (Hawkins County, western or northern Greene County) or north of them (in SW VA).

Andrew Johnson Hwy is Greeneville, yep. But technically it's also 11-E which runs from Strawberry Plains/Knoxville through Morristown and Greeneville up to Johnson City and Bristol.

Oh -- you're bluegrass fans? Sweeeeeeet! I have a big list of festivals for the area compiled if you're interested.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Jabog, thanks again, and yes! We would love a list of the bluegrass festivals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol