Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 13,540 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time buyer and was wondering if there was a good site that would give me houses that are for sale by owners. Im looking in the boones creek/gray area. I would also like advice on what to look for when buying a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
forsalebyowner.com comes to mind.
But to be honest with you, if you are not sure what to look for when buying a house, I would highly recommend you use a Realtor that works with you to explain the whole process. The fee for a Realtor comes from the seller so when you are buying it is basically a free service, why not use it?? Could save you a whole lot of heart ache and money in the end.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
The site mbm gave is probably the best.

You may also want to check out zillow.com & realtor.com .

If you go the fisbo route, you will find this site immensely valuable: Tennessee Property Data Home Page

Also you've picked out 2 fine areas, but are you also considering the Lake Ridge area? It is close to Boone Lake, a good Elem. School, and Winged Deer Park. Lots of stuff for sale. Just an idea.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 13,540 times
Thanks for the good advice. Im going to do some more reasearching on my own, then if need to will contact a realtor

Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNick View Post
Thanks for the good advice. Im going to do some more reasearching on my own, then if need to will contact a realtor
Since you've never before done this activity which has massive legal consequences for you way into your future, and massive financial consequences for you way into your future -- the best thing you can do for yourself is work with a Realtor. I've bought and sold several places, and never stop being surprised at the things that come up each time. I have a high IQ, which is useless unless you study all the time for a long time, to know what problems CAN arise, so smarts aren't the answer -- LOTS of experience is.

If you don't know much about human biology, you don't know how to diagnose illnesses or figure out how to heal them. If you don't know anything about purchasing real estate, it's such a dangerous idea to choose to do it by yourself. It's not like buying a TV, or even a car. You need a real estate doctor, a Realtor. Realtors KNOW all the stuff you don't know.

I wish you wise choices!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 PM

81 posts, read 279,221 times
I agree with allforcats. My husband has bought 4 houses but the one we just purchased was my first. We bought a brand new home that had been sitting on the market for a year 90% complete. The builder agreeded to our offer but felt like we were robbing him. We had many disagreements and our realtor fought for us tooth and nail. I don't think I would ever purchase a house with a realtor.

Moderator cut: cut

Good Luck,
Misty

Last edited by Beretta; 07-22-2008 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: deleted realtor info, please DM this

Old 07-24-2008, 06:00 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
I'll voice my opinion here, I've bought and sold dozens of properties FSBO.

1. Realtors are NOT free for the buyer, yes they charge the seller, but who pays the sell......the BUYER!!

2. Realtors are wholly unneeded, what do they really do, open a door, walk through the home, have you sign a form and whammo, they've got a paycheck. Unless the home doesn't close and then they're toast.

3. For those that say a realtor will help protect you, ha, ha. You'd be better off reading up on some of the TN specific laws and using an attorney, trust me, I wish that I had.

NOW, having said the above, I will tell the buyer in question....DO USE the realtor to make a purchase, especially if you are a new buyer or a new buyer to TN. No, it won't totally protect you, but it does actually help. AND most FSBO here are pricing their properties at the same price (or higher) than competing properties that are using a realtor, so in essence the realtor's service is FREE

How's that for a backhanded recommendation

Good luck with your home search, I've seen lots of properties priced really high, with some homes I've been following going down in price, but many prices appear to be on the upswing (haven't figured that one out yet, with all of the bad economic news being broadcast).

Tony

p.s. First step would be to get prequalified for a loan, with the financial meltdown taking place that's where I'd start. Good luck with the move to TN and the Home search.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:29 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
You might want to consider advertising on Craigslist for a FSBO. You can actually advertise for what you want in a home and rattle some homeowners that might not have otherwise considered selling.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
It's not so much that you do or don't need the help of a real estate agent. It sounds like you need the help of a financial planner. If you don't know much about buying a house, 1) Why would you?, and 2) Why would you turn to a person with a vested interest in the process? How steady is your job? How much money do you have for a down payment? How long do you anticipate staying? What is your tax situation? Until all those questions are answered, then rent.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 PM

83 posts, read 274,885 times
My husband and I are both in the real estate business in FL. I do recommend you seek some sort of professional help, either a realtor, title company or attorney. We find it best looking for a FSBO by just driving the area we are interested in and calling the signs we see. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol