Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM

13 posts, read 42,401 times

Advertisements

I'm a NYC retiree living in FL and am considering relocating to this area of Tenn. can anyone advise what tax burden I can expect to be paying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
Lots of people like the 0% income tax, but I don't know that it applies to you. Sales tax on EVERYTHING is 9.75% in JC, 9.25% in Kpt and Bristol. Property taxes are comparatively good.

Johnson City Example:
Mkt Value: $100,000
Total Market Appraisal: $86,600
Assessment %: 25
Assessment: $21,650
Property tax rate = 4.28 (2.35 county / 1.93 city)
The annual tax is $927 about .9% of market value.

Living in the county almost cuts that in half.

Rates for Kpt & Bristol are a little higher.

Bristol = 4.95
Kingsport = 4.83

Source: TN Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - 2007 Property Tax Rates (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/LR.asp?W=07 - broken link)

Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
My uncle retired to Paris, TN from Chicago. I don't know what his tax burden is, but what I do know is that he is the most fiscally savvy person I've ever known, and that he researched extensively...for years, before he decided on a place to hang his hat. That man could quote numbers, percentages, etc from 20 years back to now.

Best wishes in your search

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
My uncle retired to Paris, TN from Chicago. I don't know what his tax burden is, but what I do know is that he is the most fiscally savvy person I've ever known, and that he researched extensively...for years, before he decided on a place to hang his hat. That man could quote numbers, percentages, etc from 20 years back to now.

Best wishes in your search
Like your uncle I've done a lot of research and will be moving to East Tenn, from ILL, shortly. I would consider it a tax blessing not a burden.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Default It really depends on your situation I believe....

If you own a house/property here, the real estate tax burden in comparison to a lot of other states (NY and FL included) is VERY minimal. You will happily, with a huge smile on your face, write that property tax check and walk it to the court house yourself and frame the receipt hahahahha especially if you live out side of city limits.

However, if you rent, it may seem like more as the difference in day to day taxes/other expenses can add up even though less for some things. Here are some examples.

Like someone said earlier, sales tax is high, almost 10% on everything including food. This can really effect someone on a fixed income.

If you rent a property verses own, several utility companies require a deposit which can be up words of a few hundred dollars. If you own, and have decent credit, no deposit.

TN has no state income tax, however, some investment/dividend income is subject to income tax.

The cost of other things are much cheaper in comparison, such as.

Car registration in Washington County is $24 per car per year for standard tag (more if you want a pretty one or one that supports a organization) I believe it is about the same rate in Sullivan Co.

Mine and others on this forum have seen hundreds of dollars a year less in car insurance premiums.

Homeowners insurance is also much cheaper, mine went down over a thousand a year here verses FL and that was in 97'! Compared to now, that number would be very plural.

There are no toll roads. No extra school tax. No personal property tax.

I have found gas to be noticeably lower here also. Sometimes close to $0.50 less here than New England.

Utility cost per kilowatt can be lower, but that really depends on where you are coming from and what you currently pay. But I doubt it would be higher, then again TVA is talking about raising those rates soon.

So all in all, it really depends on where you are coming from, whether you plan to own or rent and where your income comes from and not really just the tax burden to look at.

I know that is not very scientific, but hope it still helps.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times
I posted this in another thread but when we left Connecticut in the mid-80's we were paying almost $5000 a year in property taxes for a very old house with acreage. We now have another (similar) old house with 5 acres in Washington County and pay about $800 per year.. If you stay out of the city limits, you'll be in good shape property tax-wise. That is one of the biggest advantages in living in this beautiful part of the world!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Hopefully the OP isn't moving here solely for tax benefits, else he or she runs the risk of being severely unhappy.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hopefully the OP isn't moving here solely for tax benefits, else he or she runs the risk of being severely unhappy.

True, very true.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 11,959 times
-I own property around the SE, if you are considering a move to TN for the tax benefits, and disregard lIfestyle changes then you will be making a mistake- I own property in TN AND FL, and I can you that I still prefer spending more of my time in places like Naples, than places like Bristol, but that's a personal choice in lifestyle and the type of sociocultural environment you want to be around.

Taxes don't overly bother some people- to others it's a determinate factor-

Really, the two areas don't compare very well at all, and it seems that some parts of TN are becoming overly populated with transients from FL anyway, so the area is bound to change. Don't get overly caught up in the hype of TN, or any area

Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
If you are a retiree on Medicare you should make darn sure you can get an doctor who will accept you as a patient. After six months of trying I pretty much gave up on finding a doctor at this point.
BTW, don't overlook the 9.5% sales tax.
Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol