Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
We treat every single person we meet with respect and dignity until they give us a reason to do otherwise.

Exposing my children to culture--yes, the arts, literature and music are important. Those would not cease, wherever we are.
Based on what you've written (in quotes above and otherwise) I know you'll do very well wherever you end up. Best of luck to you.

The Tri-Cities do have a totally different feel to them when compared with the Knoxville metro (and especially with Nashville) so do come up for a visit (I'm back in Johnson City at the moment) if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 PM

45 posts, read 153,759 times
Thank You for the info about Bristol Tn. I'll be sure to pass it along to my family that lives in TN. They are looking around Middle TN> and other areas. Thanks Again....

Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 PM

64 posts, read 243,226 times
Default First impressions of the Tri-Cities

I just got back from spending 5 days in the area & put 600 miles on the car just exploring. My thoughts at different points were:

- They make it SO easy to live here (every convenience you can think of)

- This is SO beautiful - it's like living in a state park

- Southern hospitality is for real

I went to see the parks at Warriors Path, Bay Mountain, Roan Mountain & Watauga Dam. The Miller homestead at Roan Mountain was my favorite, but watching grandparents & youngsters fish at Warriors Path was really nice, too.

Everyone I asked for directions & insight was more than willing to help me. Only one person said "You're not from around here - you're from up North?". That only made me feel initiated!

Everything has fallen easily into place, so I'm moving down in 4 days. Can't wait to get settled, then explore some more of this beautiful area!

Old 06-10-2007, 06:22 PM

64 posts, read 243,226 times
Default Photos of the countryside

Here are just a few photos from my rambles...there were so many more photo ops that I just couldn't stop for!
Attached Thumbnails
Apparently the Tri-City area IS all that-barn-miller-farm.jpg   Apparently the Tri-City area IS all that-barn-piney-flats.jpg   Apparently the Tri-City area IS all that-farm-kingsport.jpg   Apparently the Tri-City area IS all that-rhododendrums-roan-mtn..jpg   Apparently the Tri-City area IS all that-watauga-river.jpg  

Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Default Tri-Cities

Hello, Carolac. I have lived in the Tri-Cities for 12 and a half years and like it very much. I recommend it highly with one reservation. It may not be a good choice for someone who works in the manufacturing sector. My $45K factory job has gone to Mexico along with many others, and my next job will be based in northwest Arkansas. But the other employment sectors seem to be doing quite well here. Best wishes.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Interesting. One of my summer sitter's father moved to Kingsport about 10 years ago, had the same problem and now builds motorcycles. Hope all is well now for you. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hello, Carolac. I have lived in the Tri-Cities for 12 and a half years and like it very much. I recommend it highly with one reservation. It may not be a good choice for someone who works in the manufacturing sector. My $45K factory job has gone to Mexico along with many others, and my next job will be based in northwest Arkansas. But the other employment sectors seem to be doing quite well here. Best wishes.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times
I grew up about an hour from the Tri Cities and spent a lot of time there. About the best thing going for it is the mountains which are accessible within 30 minutes or less. Other than that, I never found anything remotely fantastic about it.It looks kind of like your typical anywhere USA town with a small downtown.

The reason the area is so cheap is because the job market there- save for the college and hospital- is service industry based. The closest large city is Knoxville, well over an hour away. Bottom line is that if you are ripe with out-of-state cash or retiring, it is a pleasant place to live. But above working class type work might be hard to find. I would compare the Tr-Cities to Asheville, NC except it doesn't have the same proximity to the mountains and it doesn't have as sophisticated an atmosphere. That all might change soon because the Tr-Cities seems to be yet another fav for retirees. So it too might be on the chopping block for gentrification.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 PM

27 posts, read 159,203 times
Default bad air quality

My husband and I were in Kingsport this weekend, and even though it really is beautiful, the air quality is horrible. People I know who live there say alot of people have respiratory problems from all the factories and such. I wouldnt mind living there since it is so pretty, but you can literally see the smog from the factories going up into a large cloud of smog that is over the city.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 PM

67 posts, read 237,076 times
Yes it really is. I never appreciated that when I lived there growing up. I am trying to move back right now, but having trouble finding a job. You might see my thread I just started...anyway...its comprised of Kingsport, Johnson City & Bristol. One of the newest booming areas is Gray, TN which is right outside of Johnson City. There are lots of new housing developments and such according to my parents who still live there. They live in Kingsport, TN but also own property in Piney Flats & Blountville TN which are both also nice areas.
Check it out & hope you like it.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrett0218 View Post
My husband and I were in Kingsport this weekend, and even though it really is beautiful, the air quality is horrible. People I know who live there say alot of people have respiratory problems from all the factories and such. I wouldnt mind living there since it is so pretty, but you can literally see the smog from the factories going up into a large cloud of smog that is over the city.
I live 5 or 6 miles from town and cannot see or smell the pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol