Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 PM

47 posts, read 168,560 times

Advertisements

I'm using the usual resources and they are dry as the desert. I won't be in town for 2 weeks and I plan on scoping the area out but I'd like to get a few hits before the move. Is it really that bad or is there a secret resoruce somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,637,731 times
Sources:
#1 The Paper
#2 Networking
#3 A placement firm, like AtWork
#4 Career Builder/Craig's List might have a few jobs.
#5 Local college career development

Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM

426 posts, read 1,275,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwishmiwi View Post
I'm using the usual resources and they are dry as the desert....Is it really that bad or is there a secret resoruce somewhere?
What resources are you using? What type of job are you seeking?

My first thought was that, yeah, it's going to be that bad. I always HATED looking for jobs when I lived in Bristol.

In Bristol, you generally won't find decent jobs advertised in the paper with the exception of some healthcare jobs like nursing. You'll also find some shady ads that have a very vague description (promising big $$$) and want you to send some resume to a non-descript PO Box or email/fax. Most of the quasi-professional jobs (office/white collar jobs that pay nice salary and are for people with college degrees but don't have specialized certifications) are going to require some real inside connections with the local residents. These will be hard to find for a newcomer. They are often created/filled through inside connections and the general public never even knows these jobs were available.

You probably will want to hit the street and personally visit some of the companies to see if you can get any information. If you are looking for restaurant, retail or hotel work it will be easy enough to personally visit and maybe fill out an application or talk to someone. Network like crazy with the resources you do have available to you.

Personally, I wouldn't expect much from local college/career centers. Those services are largely reserved for current students or alumni and there will be some registration process to use their services. You might find some nice soul who is willing to talk to you about what *might* be out there in the local area. Typically, employers who are using those career centers are looking for very specific majors/degrees, like accounting, finance and engineering. Neither King, nor Virginia Intermont College have strong programs in any of these areas, so they may not have much to offer you. I think ETSU's career center would have more insight.

Good luck to you. Maybe consider expanding your search to include Kingsport, Johnson City and Abingdon to open up more options.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Typically, employers who are using those career centers are looking for very specific majors/degrees, like accounting, finance and engineering. Neither King, nor Virginia Intermont College have strong programs in any of these areas, so they may not have much to offer you.
I beg to differ.

King has several accounting grads that work in private, regional, and even Big 4 firms. Big 4 is actually encouraged. Large programs - No. Strong programs - yes.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM

I'm not saying that King doesn't have accounting (or other) gradurates that went on to successful careers thought I doubt they found their jobs through their Career Center. Incidentally, you probably are aware that King's business program does not have AACSB accreditation and the college is in trouble with SACS right now. The King College of the past is definitely different than the present day situation. They have attempted to grow/expand too fast and their overall academics are questionable right now. They have lowed their standards and put a high emphasis on enrollment growth, particurly by expanding adult academic programs (cash cow) and athletic programs and that should be of major concern. I'm not even going to "go there" with the problems at VI.

You know, I think this is a moot point. If the original poster had a degree in accounting with CPA license (which I suspect not) then it would be a bit easier, potentially, to find work in Bristol. That would be one of those fields where a person might actually find some opportunities in the Tri-Cities. It won't hurt the OP to go by the career centers, I just wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket.

Last edited by gsp4ever; 01-29-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Again I must differ with you. Much of the SACS problems were nit picky, library resources and such. And I can personally vouch for the current accounting education, even though it is grouped with business and economics. The main accounting professor is well connected in the area and my graduating accounting class (all 4 of us) had little problem finding internships and job offers. It was a tough program, tougher than grad school at ETSU.

I'm not saying that King doesn't have any problems. No, I wouldn't say that at all. Class availability is probably the biggest problem it has. However, I still think it is a solid school, not even in the same breath as VI. My main intent only was to clarify that King has a strong accounting program and always will as long as Prof. Schroeder is teaching there.

Anyway, to the original poster ... sorry to get us off on this tangent.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM

It's ok. I do not have a college degree and I know that's going to hurt me. I was actually in the process of going back to school when we were both laid off and had to find a job outside of our current location.

I'm willing to take anything at this point. I have a skill set in animal husbandry and care as well as photography, two fields that seem to be luxuries as of late.

Networking sounds like the way to go and your insider tips are of help!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:34 PM

7,545 posts, read 17,285,938 times
The main way to find a job here is the classifieds online (check out the Kingsport Times-News website as it aggregates them from all over the TC). Also you could check on bettertcjobs.com.

Sometimes the Olan Mills Portrait Studios (inside KMarts) hire people. I've seen the signs up before.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 PM

kiwishmiwi--it may actually help you that you don't have a college degree and are willing to take anything. There are local vet clinics, would that be a possibility? I'm not sure what a skill set in animal husbandry involves. You may be able to land a job in retail, restaurants, etc. without too much difficulty. I know we are in a down economy. The real problem comes for those who are college educated, looking for the white collar jobs (that pay decent salaries). Those are the ones that can be hard to come by in Bristol without connections.

BTW--Virginia Intermont College does have a very good photography department so maybe you would enjoy taking some classes there. I don't know about the job market in that area, per se. But, if you'll be living downtown, you'll be very close to campus.

Good luck to you and don't forget to ask people directly who they know that *is* hiring. Even if they've just told you that they may not have a job for you. It may get them to begin thinking.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM

I was wondering about the schools in Bristol. I was about to attend Pellissippi's Photography but had to pull out. It is definitely in the view for the future and now may be the perfect time during this recession.

Thanks for all the help, I really, really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol