Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,439,885 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my mom last night, and we were chatting about our old hang outs in and around Church Hill, when I was growing up in the '70s and '80s. These two classic restaurants came up, and I my mom said they are both completely bulldozed now and gone!!
TN Mountaineer for a Walgreens, and the Dairy Hart is a parking lot! What a surprise!
These were classic, "old school" restaurants that made great food and were part of my memories growing up. We'd always go to the Mountaineer on some Sundays or for a quick dinner on the weekdays.
It's sad to hear that these places close. Progress has to be made, but still, it's a bummer they are gone.
Anyone else lament the closings of classic places in and around the tri-cities? Hope there aren't a ton more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:06 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times
If any place could be considered the heart & soul of Church Hill, the Mountaineer was probably it. I wish it could've survived, especially given what's slated to replace it. Its ownership changed hands in '06 and it was rumored that the new owner only bought it as a property investment. I do know that the quality of the food went downhill fast after that. But it was really more important as a social place than as a restaurant. My dad met with friends there weekly for many years, and whenever I went in for dinner with my parents my dad would always know a bunch of the other diners.
Video Report - Mountaineer Restaurant loses battle to attract younger generation, closing to make way for Walgreens - Kingsport Times-News Online

Dairy Hart closed in '06 after its owners retired but has since reopened on E. Main under the ownership of a former employee.
After 42 years, Church Hill's Dairy Hart closes its doors - Kingsport Times-News Online

FWIW, Rogersville's Pig & Chick restaurant (http://www.gotricities.com/content/article.dna?idnumber=3613 - broken link) is supposed to move sometime this year to the original Dairy Hart location, and I hope it'll become a new Church Hill institution.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
For me, it's the Little Top and Tipton's Cafe in Greeneville. They're both classic (open way back in the 50s and 60s) with gooooood food!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol