Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM

431 posts, read 1,219,464 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced this ?

I have been a stay at home mom for 9 years to my two kids. I am just now trying to find a "real" job. I've had a couple of side jobs over the past nine years , but nothing signifigant.

Seems like I get no responses on my applications lately and I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that I chose to stay home and raise my kids?

I was talking to a doctor in the area (weekend clinic) and he is from the midwest. He said that people in that area are much more accepting of stay at home moms as far as seeing the choice as an actual career choice.

The reason I chose to stay home was to be with my kids first and foremost, but also because we could not afford child care. At the daycare where my aunt works it is 140.00 per week for an infant.

One of my kids is in elementary school now, so I would have to find after school care for her as well.

Anyway, do you think this area is more discriminatory ? Let me tell you...staying home with kids and running a household is work....I wonder if potential employers don't see it that way ?

Also, I have noticed a trend that nobody wants to train an employee. Even though I have some college experience , I have no work experience. Everywhere I look I see "Must have 1 year experience"......."Must have at least 3 years experience...." is that more common in this area or is that everywhere ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

29 posts, read 86,955 times
I just moved from JC in Nov & worked PT for almost 4 yrs there after staying home w/my kids for 5 yrs. I think the problem is likely more of the economy rather than you. Jobs are slim pickins' everywhere, and w/ETSU graduating soon, teens looking for summer jobs right now, and just the general bad job market right now, it makes it extremely tough for anyone right now--especially those w/a staggered work experience. One thing I've learned is to definitely mark your time at home on your resume. Mine is noted as "Stay-At-Home Parent and Community Volunteer" with my organizations listed and time frames noted. HR won't assume you had kids & that's why you elected not to have outside employment. They'll just dump your resume to the bottom of the pile. Don't note it as "Full-Time" parent--we're all full-time parents and it might irritate the HR person who has a little one and both parents work

Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
It's not discrimination, especially in this area. It's the fact that finding a job is tough right now and 95% of jobs aren't filled via a public process. The best way to get a job is through your network.

Even though it's apparent that you are exceptionally literate, you may want have someone (related to the industry you are seeking) review your resume or the applications that you fill out.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Agreed. Network your butt off. And maybe hire a headhunter. The expenses associated are even tax deductable! (FWIW if you do have your resume reviewed, any expenses incurred there are also TD)

Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM

166 posts, read 511,020 times
There are plenty of people I know just out of college with a degree who have no choice but to go back to whatever fast food chain they worked at in highschool, if they are even hiring.

The job market sucks right now. The company I worked for went belly up, and I was only able to find work at home employment in the last month.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM

383 posts, read 918,710 times
Start looking for work at places like elance. There is plenty of work to be had if you have skills...if you need money but don't need benefits, just get online at reputable sites and get hired. There is always new work available and you're not tied down to your local job market.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,804,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
Even though I have some college experience , I have no work experience. Everywhere I look I see "Must have 1 year experience"......."Must have at least 3 years experience...." is that more common in this area or is that everywhere ?
Employers everywhere prefer some work experience. Your lack of such is a much bigger red flag than your stay-at-home status. With no work history, most employers will be hesitant to give you a chance even if you can legitimately claim some skills that will transfer into the workplace. With no verifiable track record of what you can do and what kind of work ethic you have, you're a greater risk in employers' eyes.

Your best option, IMO, is to get some work experience through a temp agency and possibly through volunteering before you approach potential employers directly. And/or, try to get at least an associate's degree if you can.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,464 times
Default Thanks for the advice.

It's a tough time right now. Feeling like....did I make a mistake staying at home ?!

I do work for myself (have to be careful what I say on the board) for the past 2 years and have retail experience from college /child care experience from college but that is not the type of job I am looking for.

My husband makes decent money, but now it's just not enough since we have 2 kids with growing needs and prices on everything keep going up, but dh's salary is not ! I bet many are in the same boat rowing along with me.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
I'm sure they are, and I'm sure I'll be there in a few years. Good luck to you on your hunt, TN Gal. I don't know if you mentioned, but in what area(s) are you looking for work? Take any networking opportunity you can, including the fine folks on this board! I bet more than one job has been filled due to someone knowing someone on City-Data.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'm sure they are, and I'm sure I'll be there in a few years. Good luck to you on your hunt, TN Gal. I don't know if you mentioned, but in what area(s) are you looking for work? Take any networking opportunity you can, including the fine folks on this board! I bet more than one job has been filled due to someone knowing someone on City-Data.
Very true! Actualy if you want to work nights and weekends, I actualy know of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol