Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 AM

38 posts, read 108,458 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to the tri-cities area from Memphis and wonder about the ease of finding an office type postion? I have worked for 12 years as an office manager at an agricultural parts business until laidoff this past July.

I am not sure of what town I want to move to yet, but I'd need to rent an apartment or condo. Prefer it cost $750 a month of less and be in a good area, energy efficent, etc. Doesn't have to be huge but I need some space...the one I have now is about 950 sq. feet.

Here's more about me and my needs.

Lifelong resident of the Memphis area. I lived in east Arkansas about 30 years, in Memphis about 9 years, and about 1 year in north Mississippi. Three different states, but all considered the Memphis metro area. ITS TIME TO GO! Memphis has become too bad for me with excessive crime, loads of gangs, high unemployment, political corruption problems like you'd never believe, and more!

The Summers here are insanely hot and humid.I've always liked snow, that is when it does snow. I would like to relocate somewhere there are actual seasons and with less humidity year round.

I am 40 years old, divorced with no kids. I was recently laidoff from working as an office manager for more than 10 years. I am a big US History buff, especially the Civil War and the Revolution. I have a hobbyist level interest in geology. I really enjoy panning for gold or using a highbanker in streams. I've read about hard rock gold mining but never tried it. I have never seen a "real" mountain. The highest mountains I ever saw were 1000 to 1800 feet, and that's pretty much a hill to most people. I don't want to live on a mountain, but to have access to mountains - hills, even a National Park to go gold prospecting sounds great. I am not into hunting, just enjoy prospecting and seeing geology.

I'd prefer a location that's not a big city...something with 30,000 people or FEWER. I am conservative and not into the "wild life" or college party scence anymore. I'd like another job in the Office -shipping & receiving - AP & AR field. Income before being laidoff was appx. $650 per week NET after taxes. I'd love to make that or more again. I'm not a sickly person, but health insurance and benefits would be nice as well.

I was warned that utility and water bills can vary a great deal. For comparison sake: Summer electric bill for 1 bedroom apartment about 950 sq. feet runs $130 to $160 keeping central air thermostat around 72-74 degrees. Water bill might be $18 to $25 per month. Winter electric bill might be $50 to $80 using electricity for heat. Its been so long since I had a gas powered heating system, I do not know the rates. Water bill in Winter is virtually the same as Summer.

Car tags...in Arkansas they are $29.50 per year, plus whatever your tax assessment is...a tax based on your physical address and age/make/model of your vehicle. All in all, AR plate costs about $150-175 a year in town. When I lived in Mississippi is was INSANELY high at over $600 per year, but supposedly they have lesser property taxes. TN plates are about the same price as Arkansas due to the wheel tax Memphis has.

Please give me some opinions in detail...I want to move by 2-1-2010 at the latest.

I think I'd rather live in Virginia than TN, but I am not sure. I want to find a few places that interest me strongly and go visit for a long weekend, etc.

ty1969
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:08 AM

110 posts, read 229,529 times
ty1969,

You might check out openings at East Tennessee State University (ETSU), as they regularly have office manager/administrative assistant type positions. Other similar university positions (financial aid, academic records, etc.) might also be 'up your alley'. Other colleges or universities in the area may be similar in their openings.

When my wife and I moved here about 2.5 years ago, we were very surprised at the rental situation. (We planned to rent an apartment for a short time and then buy or have a home built.) We could not find anything that met our needs and so we wound up buying a condo. Our mortgage payment is a bit less than $1k a month for a condo. It could be that in the past couple of years more rental options have opened up. After relocating from Florida where there were multiple nice apartment complexes that were very competitive, we were surprised to find that the only complexes in Johnson City that had availability when we looked appeared to have been built in the 70s (and not updated since then.)

If we had not have bought a condo, we would have rented a home instead of an apartment. If you want to go that route, contact realtors in the area and see if they have any. I bet in this economy they do.

One thing to factor into your TN vs. VA comparison: TN has no state income tax.

If I can answer questions, please let me know.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 AM

284 posts, read 759,276 times
Jobs are very difficult to come by here, especially if you've moved from out of the region. I have also applied for numerous office manager positions that have opened up, but if you are even remotely overqualified, you will NOT be considered. This isn't just supposition - it has been strongly "hinted at" by several local HR people.

Plus, Civil War history is more pertinent to VA.

You can find some good houses to rent, if you like a more vintage experience (which I do). Recently, I have seen dozens in JC.

I grew up in D-burg, as a kid, so I know West TN pretty well. Have lived all over the continent since then, but due to recession, have ended up in East TN. I can't recommend it economically. Wages are low (if you can find a job that's not medical or restaurant/retail management).

I'm headed out next year, by necessity.

I visited some friends in Memphis seven years ago, and it was scary. My car was broken into within one hour, and we were in a "nice" district. I remember it as being much more pleasant in the 70s, when we were in the area.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info tonypitt and ripshin...some good and some not so good news, but that's ok. Yes ripshin, Memphis is really bad in my opinion. It amazes me how many people living here are numb to the TV reports of murer, violence and politcal corruption every day! I want out badly and if I had more financial resources I would move first and then work on a new job once I arrive, but I have to do it the other way.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
I am contemplating a move to the tri-cities area from Memphis and wonder about the ease of finding an office type postion?

Office jobs are a difficult and highly competitive find right now. Most of these jobs are hired "through the grapevine". You may be able to snag a government office job.

Prefer it cost $750 a month of less and be in a good area, energy efficent, etc. Doesn't have to be huge but I need some space...the one I have now is about 950 sq. feet.

This shouldn't be a problem at all. Should have a lot of options between $600-750.

$650 per week NET after taxes. I'd love to make that or more again. I'm not a sickly person, but health insurance and benefits would be nice as well.

The job situation is obviously your greatest barrier. Gross $40k jobs are tough to come by. Large metros like Memphis-Nashville-Knoxville just have higher pay scales than we do. It's not impossible around here, just more difficult to find and acquire.

I was warned that utility and water bills can vary a great deal. For comparison sake: Summer electric bill for 1 bedroom apartment about 950 sq. feet runs $130 to $160 keeping central air thermostat around 72-74 degrees. Water bill might be $18 to $25 per month. Winter electric bill might be $50 to $80 using electricity for heat.

I have similar sq footage but an inefficient heat pump (10 yrs old and undersized) and my electric bill averages $80 +/- $15.

Car tags...in Arkansas they are $29.50 per year, plus whatever your tax assessment is...a tax based on your physical address and age/make/model of your vehicle.

Tags are about $30 in TN. There isn't a wheel tax. VA has some sort of inspection fee, where you have to get your car inspected every 6 months or so. I don't know about VA tags.

Please give me some opinions in detail...I want to move by 2-1-2010 at the latest. I think I'd rather live in Virginia than TN, but I am not sure. I want to find a few places that interest me strongly and go visit for a long weekend, etc.

I don't care much for SWVA. But if you could find a job nearby (like Bristol), you would probably love Abingdon,VA.

The largest employers are in the TriCities, aka Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City, TN. But those three are significantly larger than your ideal (40-60K each). So it might be best to live in a small town on the outskirts of a city. A great pick would be historic Jonesborough, TN for a job in Johnson City. Church Hill, TN is good for a job in Kingsport. Bluff City, TN is a town between Johnson City and Bristol. Blountville, TN is centrally located and good for a job in any of the TriCities.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM

rccrain:

Thank you for the info...It seems like your energy bills are quite a bit less up that wat than here. I've noticed other posters in the TN and VA sections talking about their bills. They were lower as well. It does seem like water and sewer is higher though.

Yes, I think I need to look at residing in a smaller town and commuting to my employer. I've done that here in Memphis some, but traffic was often a headache.

I'm researching and emailing/ sending off resumes to jobs I am finding through careerbuilder, indeed.com, simplyhired, and monster.

ty1969

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Recently, electric rates have been really weird in the area. Last year around Nov, JCPB jacked their rates only to drop them back to reasonable rates in the Spring. Now, just in the last month AEP has jacked their rates 20%, and unless this is a reaction to our now anti-coal government, I don't see any reason for the increase.

FYI, Bristol, TN/VA have about the best utility rates in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol