Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 10,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYoda View Post
We just visited the Sevierville area - including Seymour and Maryville. My husband really liked all that Maryville had to offer - jobs, shopping, views, colleges, good schools, and nice clean town. It appeared more on the middle to upper class, especially with the property taxes being higher.
Sevierville, on Saturday was quite busy, but throughout the week was less so. We discovered the back roads, and they appeared to be quite nice. The trolley drivers were a world of knowledge on the area. It has all the shopping and eating areas possible, although we didn't get a good feel for the type of jobs available (other than service - which was abundant).
Seymour appears to be a new up and coming town. New office buildings and growth going on. We weren't able to see much shopping or job availability there. We were told most people commute to Maryville, Knoxville, or Sevierville to work. We did like the wonderful mountain views there and what appeared to be a quiet peaceful town. We drove on to Knoxville with no problem. We had planned to visit the Tri-Cities area and Morristown, however, we ran out of time.
All in all, we still haven't decided on which area we plan to move to. Our plans is by next spring to be there so we have lots of searching to do. Schools, jobs, new housing, and mountain views are on our list. From what I can tell, I don't think we can go wrong in any of these choices. As we continue our research - please send us any information you can.
LYoda...please read my thread to Pugluvr...you might be interested in what we have to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 06:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Sounds like you would also like the exit 7 I-81 area of north Bristol VA. Restaurants, restaurants, restaurants and more restaurants! Also, Super-Walmart, Target, super-size movie theater, TJ Maxx, Ross, book stores, coffee shops, Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply Co., Food City, Bowling, panaramic views from the Cracker Barrel parking lot of the exit 7 area, etc.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM

227 posts, read 720,178 times
[quote=pugluvr;44810]We have 2 dogs and we take them to the dog park (off leash) so if there are any of those...we would like to be considerably close.

Hi Pugluvr,

Johnson City now has a dog park. The website is Johnson City Dog Park Website - Home.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:52 AM

32 posts, read 129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellter View Post
LYoda...please read my thread to Pugluvr...you might be interested in what we have to say...

Yes, very interested. My sister is moving next year...this area sounds wonderful for her and her husband who loves to fish and watch the deer!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:31 AM

153 posts, read 480,078 times
Hi Spowers... I live in Manatee County, work in Sarasota County and am also hoping to relocate to TN

Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,083 times
Johnson City is your best bet. If you have kids, SHHS is a great school. They have the best concert band in the state, and one of the most successful concert bands in the country recently playing in Carnegie Hall. SHHS also has excellent athletic programs including conference/state winners in Cross Country, swimming and diving, football, basketball, baseball, tennis, etc. Also the school has some of the best teachers in the state. For instance Guy Mauldin, the Advanced Trig, Pre-Calculus, and Calculus AB-BC teacher, is on the AP Calculus board, has won many national awards in teaching, and is also the greatest teacher I have ever had. The city though has even greater qualities. Minuets away is Boone Lake and not much longer is Watauga. You also have one of the hot spots to test a restaurants success, so JC always has a new place to eat. Another great thing about JC is the fact that it has the best mall in the region and the best shopping around. Another great thing about JC is it is in the middle of many big cities (the main reason JC is a big truck stop), meaning if JC gets boring one day, you can travel and come back to the best city in the region. JC was a great place for me to grow up, and I would recommend it to anyone trying to find a place in the region.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 AM

383 posts, read 918,951 times
For those with children considering different areas just a short follow-up post to the one above about the JC (city) school system. We moved here from Huntersville (just north of charlotte) and our daughter took many AP classes while in high school in that system. The Charlotte schools offered a few more AP classes then Johnson City.

Now my son (who never liked school...go figure) is a senior at Science Hill this year. He is taking 6 AP classes after taking 2 last year (scored a 4 and a 5 on the AP tests last year). He has all male teachers and during the last break from school said - " I don't really need a break this week..wish we had school". He is challenged, knocking down A's across the board, and loves to get up and go to school. He thinks he wants to be an accountant (and get an MBA) and scored 2050 on his SAT's..wasn't happy with that and just retook them to try to get between 2100-2200.

(Meanwhile the daughter used all her AP credits towards college and will graduate with a double major next spring (three years) - then pursue a masters before getting out in the real world).

I'm not familiar with other school systems here, and my wife and I have always kept on top of our kids education like flies on a rib roast, but it's nice to see a school system that functions without teachers having to deal with constant discipline problems that we experienced in charlotte. It's also great to see our son in an environment where he is not only learning but thriving and getting well prepared for college. Teachers can't teach when they are relegated to baby sitting..and any parent that thinks it's the schools responsibility alone to educate their child is probably going to be disappointed.

There are many who believe you can't get a good education from the public system anymore and that's probably true in many areas of this country.. but I believe at SHHS, the opportunity exists to get an excellent education if that's your goal.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 21,833 times
Default Tri-city area

Shellter, encouraged by your description of tri-city area. Heard of it through my genealogy hobby and have a soft spot in my heart for it. We're thinking about moving from TX and are looking for: beautiful scenery, trees, mts., lakes but enjoy the suburb style, and conservative living with ammenities. We are in our early 40's with a little one. Need to work in ER setting and school teaching. Sound like a place for us? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM

227 posts, read 720,178 times
Searching Texan, sounds like Tri-Cities would be a great match for you!!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,756 times
Wink Kingsport-Johnson City - Bristol

Moved 1.5 yrs ago from Tampa Bay. I work in Sevierville. Decided on Seymour area/Boyd's Creek, due to central location to Knox, Maryville, and Pigeon Forge, etc. Almost bought a house in West Knox but traffic patterns are bad. YOu can still find a decent home for $250K in any area of TN. If you want to go out a few miles, you'll get some acreage. I may be moving to Johnson City area due to promo and paid relo. Salaries in Knox for most, are lower than Nashville and almost all other Florida markets. Where you live really is a personal thing - work, social life, church, career, etc.. I love TN and would not move back to Florida, even though I grew up there. TN is backwards some in kids educational areas but the slower pace and quality of life are much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee