Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 24,794 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Washington County to Greene County over the summer. I've heard that Greene has a wheel tax on auto registration and Washington does not. Does this mean we have to re-tag our vehicles when they come due in August? I will call the county clerk's office tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has any input on this in the meantime.

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM

218 posts, read 417,220 times
Fordguy7:
Greene County does have a wheel tax and the answer to your question is YES if your tags expire in August and you are living in Greene County, you will have to register in that county. According to state law, you have 30 days to change your address and register your vehicles and get your driving license changed to your new address. If you are stopped and have not changed your address, you can be ticketed. I know from personal experience. You can go on line and check to see how much the wheel tax is. I think it is around $80.00 per year per vehicle. The counties in upper East Tn. with a wheel tax include Hamblen, Greene, Johnson and Hawkins Counties I think.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:09 PM

218 posts, read 417,220 times
I need to correct some information I first posted. There is a "priviledge tax" in Greene County of $20.00 in addition to the cost of the tag. I thought it was $80. - My mistake. And according to the TN. DMV web site, a resident has 10 days to change address and notify the DMV. I was told by a State Trooper I had 30 days to change my address on my driver's license after he gave me a warning.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
You can keep the same tag, you just change the address and registration. If you currently have a county sticker on your tag they will give you a county sticker as well. You don't have to pay tax all over again on the vehicle, just the fees due for the county and/or state, if applicable.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 24,794 times
Thanks for the responses. I was afraid I would of had to pay as if I was registering them for the first time in the state again. I'll be sure to notify the county as soon as we have settlement on the house and become residents of Greene. I always thought the county name was printed on the plate like the numbers, but it really is a decal too. I guess you learn something new every day.

Thanks again

Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomegrowninTN View Post
I was told by a State Trooper I had 30 days to change my address on my driver's license after he gave me a warning.
Ooops, I didn't change mine for a couple years after moving from Sullivan to Washington. I finally got it done this March when my old one expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol