Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times

Advertisements

It's gone. Bye. C-ya.

TDOT kills Orange Route » Knoxville News Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What is needed, instead of a bypass such as this, imho, is a circular beltway around the outskirts of the county, as most larger cities have. It would be costly, but it would funnel traffic into the surrounding counties as well as be a bypass. But, that may be too pragmatic, not to mention that funding for anything these days, especially large projects, is problematic.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM

207 posts, read 643,051 times
I've not really followed the Orange Route debates, but people generally seem to be against it. Why is that? There doesn't seem to be much chance of reducing air pollution in Knoxville if they can't divert some of the cars.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post
I've not really followed the Orange Route debates, but people generally seem to be against it. Why is that? There doesn't seem to be much chance of reducing air pollution in Knoxville if they can't divert some of the cars.
These are the type of people that are against anything. Change is scary to a portion of the east TN population. Two words: emissions testing.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 AM

199 posts, read 521,083 times
Emissions testing wouldn't fly without a riot.

I've heard my father (embarrassing as it is) and other members of my family say that they'll die before they ever have inspections on their car. Whether they plan to move away to somewhere that doesn't do it or start an all out battle, I couldn't say.

I, for one, live in a place where emissions testing is required and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's nice not passing cars that are belching so much smoke and fumes they look to be on actual fire on a daily basis.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Make sure to read the article. It is not being done because of money. The cost of the project came in at 1 billion which was a tremendous amount more than the projected cost of 500 million.

As a native Tennessean I am all for anything that takes the 18 wheelers out of Knoxville (no thanks to Jake Butcher).

Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Make sure to read the article. It is not being done because of money. The cost of the project came in at 1 billion which was a tremendous amount more than the projected cost of 500 million.

As a native Tennessean I am all for anything that takes the 18 wheelers out of Knoxville (no thanks to Jake Butcher).
Yes it is because of money, at least indirectly. Nicely, the DOT Commish, stated on a local news report that more recent traffic count studies indicated the traffic flow would be quite a bit less than the first traffic flow studies. The net result of that would be that the project would be even less cost effective, in effect making it more expensive. So, less usage and a costlier project, not to mention the local resistance to the project, put it in the freezer. But, traffic is not going to decrease, and this issue will probably raise its head again, depending on growth, although maybe not this same route.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=12697852

Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 AM

I have said it before and I will say it again. It will take an unfortunate, huge disaster on I-40 for the powers that be wake up and re-direct commercial traffic around and not through Knoxville.

The lost business, clean-up, etc. of the disaster will make the 1 billion price tag quoted in the article to seem like chump change.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again. It will take an unfortunate, huge disaster on I-40 for the powers that be wake up and re-direct commercial traffic around and not through Knoxville.

The lost business, clean-up, etc. of the disaster will make the 1 billion price tag quoted in the article to seem like chump change.
I agree. The way I-75 is diverted through the city is ridiculous, particularly where I-75 splits off from I-640 north of downtown. That's an intersection that's just waiting for a colossal pile-up.

It took a massive fireball of a wreck to get the state to finally redo the I-40/I-240 mess in downtown Memphis, and it's now a breeze. I hope the state won't wait until something similar happens before fixing the I-75/I-640 blunder in North Knoxville.

Then maybe when that intersection is finally improved they can start requiring tractor-trailer I-40 through traffic to use I-640 and leave I-40 downtown for cars and local traffic.

But one thing's for sure. The only truly guaranteed job in Tennessee is as a road builder.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree. The way I-75 is diverted through the city is ridiculous, particularly where I-75 splits off from I-640 north of downtown. That's an intersection that's just waiting for a colossal pile-up.

It took a massive fireball of a wreck to get the state to finally redo the I-40/I-240 mess in downtown Memphis, and it's now a breeze. I hope the state won't wait until something similar happens before fixing the I-75/I-640 blunder in North Knoxville.

Then maybe when that intersection is finally improved they can start requiring tractor-trailer I-40 through traffic to use I-640 and leave I-40 downtown for cars and local traffic.

But one thing's for sure. The only truly guaranteed job in Tennessee is as a road builder.
Agree and Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: