Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 04:35 PM

163 posts, read 358,306 times

Advertisements

when renting from a private owner where would I go to find out if the owner is up to date with payments and not at chance of foreclosure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,376,596 times
I'd assume the county court house. It is public record if a property is in foreclosure.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 AM

345 posts, read 926,201 times
Another place to check, at least on tax payments, is through the state of Tennessee tax assessors website.

Tennessee Property Data Home Page

We actually were going to do an 'owner finance' home when we first moved here. I checked that website and found the house was 2 years behind on the tax payments. Oddly enough, the following week the house was up for "short sale" and now it's off the market in foreclosure.

You can check that website for who actually owns the property and search off that as well.

I commend you for checking into the property before handing over the cash. I wish you the best!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 PM

163 posts, read 358,306 times
thanks Mrs Mopar and mbmouse for your suggestions and compliments.

IN 1995 we (5 of us; 2 adults, three kids, a dog, two cats) rented a hugh house that a man said was his. His father and mother died and left him the house. Uh, he forgot to tell us something. His mother died and then his father remarried and added his new wifes name to the deed. (house was free and clear). Then she left and never stepped foot on the property again. Then he died. Then she died 10 years later . When she died, we got a visit from her sons. We were trespassers and got sued all the rent money that we had given the person who rented to us. We also got evicted. We had to pay her sons all that rent money (2 years) plus court costs. What a nightmare. He, the person we rented from, never gave us back any of the money we gave him, in fact when she died, he hightailed it outta there.

It made a mess out of our good credit and we had to wait another four years for everything to get "old" so that we could try to buy a house.

I DON'T want to go thro that again!

Last edited by ladyshasta2; 08-20-2010 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: grammer/spelling

Old 08-20-2010, 05:32 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,651,809 times
You can look up the owner card on KGIS.org and see when they bought the house and what they paid for it. So you can guess whether they may be "underwater". Of course that won't tell you whether they did a refinance or home equity loan. You'd need to do a title search for that.

Maybe check out where they live now and what kind of car they drive to see if they are living above their means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville