Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:18 AM

456 posts, read 1,123,477 times

Advertisements

I am so excited to be in TN because of all of the "exotic" flours that we don't have in NY that are in the supermarkets here. I have never seen so many different brands of white flour and corn flour.

I was wondering what the preferred ones are for the local bakers around here. I already bought three bags of Martha White because I figured if there's a song about it, how could I not buy some!

Thanks for your opinions and advice :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM

345 posts, read 923,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
I am so excited to be in TN because of all of the "exotic" flours that we don't have in NY that are in the supermarkets here. I have never seen so many different brands of white flour and corn flour.

I was wondering what the preferred ones are for the local bakers around here. I already bought three bags of Martha White because I figured if there's a song about it, how could I not buy some!

Thanks for your opinions and advice :O)
When I first moved here my MIL, who lives in Sevier County, showed me how easy it was to make homemade biscuits with Martha White self-rising flour. I had never used any flour in my life besides store brand all purpose flour. I found out in a few short months time how WONDERFUL self-rising flour was! She also has the Martha White cookbook, she apparently got it years ago, and shared several recipes with me.

Not only do I make my own biscuits, but our own pancakes and waffles as well. I recently made my own 'hush-puppies' with corn meal and they turned out fabulous!

And one other note, my MIL shared with me on how to cook rice and grits...not use the 5 minute or instant brand. As it was so eloquently put..."No self respectin' southerner eats instant grits...I take pride in my grits!" (from My Cousin Vinny) Well I have become that person...and I must say, I'm kinda proud of myself. Not only are we eating healthier, but we are enjoying preparing each meal and trying new and different foods.

I'm actually looking forward to the weather cooling down...my specialty in cooking is soups and gravy. My great grandmother was a true southern cook and one thing she taught me was how to make gravy! I used that information to start making soups and I love making a huge pot of soup and freezing it!

Maybe we should start a recipe sharing thread!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
I'm actually looking forward to the weather cooling down...my specialty in cooking is soups and gravy. My great grandmother was a true southern cook and one thing she taught me was how to make gravy! I used that information to start making soups and I love making a huge pot of soup and freezing it!

Maybe we should start a recipe sharing thread!
I think that would be GREAT. I'm a fab soup maker, as well. Baking is not my specialty, though.

Is the biscuit recipe on the bag or on the internet?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,951,194 times
To be honest - regardless of brand, it is all the same. So, it just comes down to personal preference and if you want to spend more or not. That is a good thing about baking ingredients. The brand doesn't matter so you can save money and not worry about quality suffering. Unlike so many other things at the store! Happy Baking!!

Old 08-27-2010, 02:47 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
To be honest - regardless of brand, it is all the same. So, it just comes down to personal preference and if you want to spend more or not. That is a good thing about baking ingredients. The brand doesn't matter so you can save money and not worry about quality suffering. Unlike so many other things at the store! Happy Baking!!
Oh my grandmother would roll in her grave if she heard someone say that. A Southern Belle from Savannah, she swore up and down that White Lily was the superior flour, and Dixie Lily was the only corn meal she would ever buy.
My mother will drive from Knoxville to Georgia just to stock up on Dixie Lily grits since, sadly, about the only grits available in Knoxville is Quaker (and what do Yankees know about making grits? she says).

People in Knoxville still lament the demise of Knoxville's beloved White Lily flour which was milled right here in downtown Knoxville until just a couple of years ago after being absorbed by a big multinational conglomerate. Here's an article from the NY Times about the heartache many Southerners felt when White Lily moved to the Midwest:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/dining/18flour.html

From the above article:

“People felt so strongly about this flour that in the South it was reserved for Sunday dinner. It was called the Sunday flour.” A White Lily cookbook, now out of print, capitalized on that sentiment with the title “Sunday Best Baking: Over a Century of Secrets from the White Lily Kitchen.”

LaDonna Hilton, whose baking has won more than 200 ribbons at the Appalachian Fair in Gray, Tenn., said she has tried other flours and simply discarded the results. “You wouldn’t think you’d be able to tell the difference in the taste,” she said, “but you can.”

“All you have to do is take a little bit in your hand and take some all-purpose flour in the other hand and just look at it,” said Shirley O. Corriher, the Atlanta-based author of “CookWise,” about the science of cooking, and a forthcoming companion volume called “BakeWise.” “There’s an incredible difference. It’s much, much finer, much whiter and much silkier. You’re going to get a finer textured cake.”

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh my grandmother would roll in her grave if she heard someone say that. A Southern Belle from Savannah, she swore up and down that White Lily was the superior flour, and Dixie Lily was the only corn meal she would ever buy.
My mother will drive from Knoxville to Georgia just to stock up on Dixie Lily grits since, sadly, about the only grits available in Knoxville is Quaker (and what do Yankees know about making grits? she says).

People in Knoxville still lament the demise of Knoxville's beloved White Lily flour which was milled right here in downtown Knoxville until just a couple of years ago after being absorbed by a big multinational conglomerate. Here's an article from the NY Times about the heartache many Southerners felt when White Lily moved to the Midwest:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/dining/18flour.html

From the above article:

“People felt so strongly about this flour that in the South it was reserved for Sunday dinner. It was called the Sunday flour.” A White Lily cookbook, now out of print, capitalized on that sentiment with the title “Sunday Best Baking: Over a Century of Secrets from the White Lily Kitchen.”

LaDonna Hilton, whose baking has won more than 200 ribbons at the Appalachian Fair in Gray, Tenn., said she has tried other flours and simply discarded the results. “You wouldn’t think you’d be able to tell the difference in the taste,” she said, “but you can.”

“All you have to do is take a little bit in your hand and take some all-purpose flour in the other hand and just look at it,” said Shirley O. Corriher, the Atlanta-based author of “CookWise,” about the science of cooking, and a forthcoming companion volume called “BakeWise.” “There’s an incredible difference. It’s much, much finer, much whiter and much silkier. You’re going to get a finer textured cake.”
We are all attached to brands in some way or another but the truth is the truth. I even did a test in our neighborhood. There is this old lady in my neighborhood that found out what I was making for our annual fall pot luck - chili and corn bread. She told me how I should stick to Georgia Agrirama's Corn Meal because it was the best so I agreed to appease her. I ended up getting the Wal-Mart brand because I didn't want to have to order it as it seemed nearly impossible to find the stuff in stores. The entire night she ranted and raved about how my corn bread was so great because I used this special corn meal and another neighbor also made the same thing and she kept telling him his was crap because he didn't use the right corn meal. Yes, she is an outspoken Southern Lady. Turns out we used the exact same thing...and our ingredients were the same too so I don't know what she was smoking but it had to be good!

I stick to a lot of brands because my Mom and Grandmothers used them. Gold Medal was always the flour of choice so when I make their recipes, I use it unless it isn't available. I don't know one person that can tell the difference in my family. It is just that memories are attached to that brand. Frankly, baking with your family growing up creates just about the best memories ever.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Quote:
Frankly, baking with your family growing up creates just about the best memories ever.
I agree. I try to bake with my daughter, as does my husband. Right now, I am trying to find a basic good yeast white bread recipe. I'm really having a tough time. I'd love a flaky but crispy crust, much Regas has for its rolls.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Quote:
We are all attached to brands in some way or another but the truth is the truth. I even did a test in our neighborhood. There is this old lady in my neighborhood that found out what I was making for our annual fall pot luck - chili and corn bread. She told me how I should stick to Georgia Agrirama's Corn Meal because it was the best so I agreed to appease her. I ended up getting the Wal-Mart brand because I didn't want to have to order it as it seemed nearly impossible to find the stuff in stores. The entire night she ranted and raved about how my corn bread was so great because I used this special corn meal and another neighbor also made the same thing and she kept telling him his was crap because he didn't use the right corn meal. Yes, she is an outspoken Southern Lady. Turns out we used the exact same thing...and our ingredients were the same too so I don't know what she was smoking but it had to be good!

I stick to a lot of brands because my Mom and Grandmothers used them. Gold Medal was always the flour of choice so when I make their recipes, I use it unless it isn't available. I don't know one person that can tell the difference in my family. It is just that memories are attached to that brand. Frankly, baking with your family growing up creates just about the best memories ever.
The truth is, there are differences in different flours. White Lily flour, when it was milled in Knoxville, was lighter than other flours. Cup per cup, it weighed less. Not all wheat is the same, and not all flour is the same.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,529,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. I try to bake with my daughter, as does my husband. Right now, I am trying to find a basic good yeast white bread recipe. I'm really having a tough time. I'd love a flaky but crispy crust, much Regas has for its rolls.
Here is a good recipe for sandwich type bread that has a crispy crust but is yummy inside. Classic Sandwich Bread: King Arthur Flour

This site has all kinds of other good recipes for rolls and everything else that can be made with flour!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
When I got back into baking, I wanted to try bread but got discouraged by some of the recipes I found. Then, I tried this one and it was easy and delicious. It inspired me to try the others and I finally am using my KitchenAid Mixer that had been sitting in a box for four years to make the recipes that discouraged me.

Artisan Bread is very easy to make and I love making it with my three year old nephew. It is amazing how someone so young can understand cooking but he catches on fast!

The Italian Dish - Posts - Amazing Artisan Bread for 40 Cents a Loaf - No Kneading, No Fussing, No*Kidding

There are also some great recipes on www.smittenkitchen.com.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville