Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,648 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have lived all over the US and am planning to make another move to the Knoxville area. I am a nurse with 2 years critical care experience and a BSN. I am wondering what I can expect for a salary, and will it be enough to live comfortably there?

My next question is, I am working on a degree in informatics? What is the market like there for an informatics nurse? And how are there salaries?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,534,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwilkinson2002 View Post
Hello all! I have lived all over the US and am planning to make another move to the Knoxville area. I am a nurse with 2 years critical care experience and a BSN. I am wondering what I can expect for a salary, and will it be enough to live comfortably there?

My next question is, I am working on a degree in informatics? What is the market like there for an informatics nurse? And how are there salaries?

Thanks
Hi, welcome to the forum! Do you have any other experience besides the CC? If not, you should expect to make around $21 per hour base rate. This does not include shift or weekend diffs.

An Informatics degree would be very helpful. I don't know the salaries for those but I am guessing around $50 - $60K as a start.

Many RN's live comfortably on their salaries in this area. Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 AM

812 posts, read 1,678,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum! Do you have any other experience besides the CC? If not, you should expect to make around $21 per hour base rate. This does not include shift or weekend diffs.

An Informatics degree would be very helpful. I don't know the salaries for those but I am guessing around $50 - $60K as a start.

Many RN's live comfortably on their salaries in this area. Hope this helps.
srwilkinson2002,

This is an outstanding answer from someone who knows this area and the subject REALLY well.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 6,648 times
Thanks Beretta and TedTAce!
I am just worried about moving from NY and my salary not being at least comparable to the $36/hr. I make now. I have also heard the area is flooded with nurses. Is this true? Should I worry about job availability too?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,534,811 times
Quote:
I am just worried about moving from NY and my salary not being at least comparable to the $36/hr. I make now. I have also heard the area is flooded with nurses. Is this true? Should I worry about job availability too?
The salaries are comparable, even though it might not seem like it at the outset. Job availability is not a concern at all. There are many options available here. The area is flooded with nurses? RN's? Do not buy ocean front property in Oklahoma from that person! haha.

Come on down, you will love it here and be able to make a decent living while making a difference!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM

812 posts, read 1,678,177 times
Quote:
Beretta is right again!!

Though I will add..

In my OPINION (which is VERY biased and jaded) Is that as an RN you won't have a problem with finding SOMETHING. Will it be perfect? Not likely, but you'll be fine if not good to great. You can bide your time doing whatever as job hopping is something employers around here don't seem to blink at.

If you were an LPN, I'd say be afraid...There is a lot of competition, and not a lot of jobs with decent pay and decent benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville