Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM

17 posts, read 44,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1129 View Post
So I've been reading these forums for a few years now, and it's about time I posted!

I'm a 26 year old single guy currently living in Brooklyn, NY and working as a Personal Trainer in Manhattan. I've grown up and spent my whole life in NY, and frankly, I need a change. I could think of a million reasons why this area is such an amazing place to live, but also have a list just as long as why I need to relocate.

I'm looking not only to relocate, but also go back to school for my masters degree. There are a few programs at UT that interest me, and I know what a great school it is.

I'm a really active guy, love to be outside, run, hike, explore, I'm also very into music (I've been playing guitar for about a decade). To give you an idea of my personality, I'm definitely not a club type guy...at all. Give me some good food, cold beers and friends and I'm happy. I love hockey and football, especially college football, so sports bars are always fun. Also love coffee shops and mom and pop style cafe's, bookstores. Anything along those lines.

I'm craving more nature, cleaner air, less stress and noise. Some cute girls without a NY attitude wouldn't hurt either

Any info on the area is much appreciated, good fit? Big mistake? Other cities/states you recommend?
You sound very similar to me. I'm a bit older (33) but we definitely have similar tastes and concerns regarding TN. I have lived on LI most of my life, the past 5 years in Denver, CO. I am looking at this forum because I just had a phone interview for a job at UT and could potentially be moving to Knoxville.

But I have to say, if you have choices, go to Colorado. Particularly Denver. You have everything you want in a city, all sports teams, there are some museums and art if that's your cup of tea, and a lively bar scene downtown. Coors Field is amazing. THe weather is amazing, very dry, sunshine nearly every day. Most morning you wake up to cloudless skies. People assume its cold and snowy in Denver, but that's not the truth. The mountains are that way, but Denver is very mild. An average winter day is sunny and in the upper 40;s, lower 50's. Golf courses stay open year round. Now, occassionally you get a cold front for a few days, but it rarely stays below freezing. When it snows, it dumps, but usually melts a few days later when it warms up. Their are very little bugs, and with the lack of humidity, you can go out during the summer for BBQ and other stuff.

Very cool and friendly people (lots of transplants to, you will find people from all over the country there). I don't do clubs, but what is lacking in Denver is "guidos" meaning the type of mentality and type of person you see a lot of in NY (nothing against Italians). Lots of great bars, people don't really dress up there, you dont' see lots of fights and tough guys. And they tend to have good music. THe music scene there is also great, lots of awesome venues and every major touring act stops in Denver, plus great local music You want outdoor activities, there is plenty. Awesome views in the rocky mountains, great skiing, plenty of hiking trails, and lots of parks. And its the #1 fittest place in the country. And the women are very beautiful and very fit. Downside there are more men than women (people call it Menver).

As you can see I really love Denver and wish I could still live there, but I have to go where I can get a job. Seems Knoxville could also be promising (minus the humidity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM

17 posts, read 44,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I had mentioned it before, but Knoxville is a very tolerant area. I'm a liberal who is probably an atheist and I have zero problems. This is a college town with a nice portion of people from somewhere else and some very, very cool locals, to boot. The Knoxville I've experienced is the same as Em's. I wholeheartedly agree with her, and we are a couple of northeasterners.
That was a concern with me, but I figured being a college town, plus a decent sized city, it wouldn't be a problem. I definitely not religious, and pretty liberal. I like the idea of having the Smoky Mountains nearby. I've always wanted to go to a big time college football game with 100K fans, I've been pro fan all my life.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gregg View Post
That was a concern with me, but I figured being a college town, plus a decent sized city, it wouldn't be a problem. I definitely not religious, and pretty liberal. I like the idea of having the Smoky Mountains nearby. I've always wanted to go to a big time college football game with 100K fans, I've been pro fan all my life.
There is nothing like football season in Knoxville. I'm also a transplant from upstate NY and currently live in Northeast Knoxville. I have never experienced the Knoxville that Mnteer talks about. I've been here 5 years and love it more with each passing day.
Pam

Old 11-24-2010, 10:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gregg View Post
THe weather is amazing, very dry, sunshine nearly every day. Most morning you wake up to cloudless skies. People assume its cold and snowy in Denver, but that's not the truth. The mountains are that way, but Denver is very mild. An average winter day is sunny and in the upper 40;s, lower 50's. Golf courses stay open year round. Now, occassionally you get a cold front for a few days, but it rarely stays below freezing.

Good news. You just described Knoxville, EXCEPT there is no dumping of snow. A snowstorm is three inches and that rarely, rarely happens. Most of our snow, when and if we get it, melts before or after it hits the ground.

Very cool and friendly people (lots of transplants to, you will find people from all over the country there). I don't do clubs, but what is lacking in Denver is "guidos" meaning the type of mentality and type of person you see a lot of in NY (nothing against Italians). Lots of great bars, people don't really dress up there, you dont' see lots of fights and tough guys. And they tend to have good music. THe music scene there is also great, lots of awesome venues and every major touring act stops in Denver, plus great local music You want outdoor activities, there is plenty. Awesome views in the rocky mountains, great skiing, plenty of hiking trails, and lots of parks.
Once again, great news; you just described Knoxville, minus the snow skiing. We have Ober Gatlinburg, but my guess is you will think that is a bunny hill and a joke.

Give us half a chance. We aren't half as bad as you think. In fact, some of us love it. I'm from the northeast, lived in Florida for ten years, and love it. My husband is from Chicago, lived in Florida for 25 years and feels the same. My best friend in Knoxville is from New York and loves it.

We do have humidity, though. It will probably remind you of New York summers. Our seasons are almost evenly dispersed, so if you are sick of one it only last three months and we are on to another one. By March we start seeing flowers on the trees and in the woods. Spring is absolutely stunning here.

This is an outdoors mecca and The Smokys are the most visited park in the country.

But we are much, much smaller than Denver. We are more like a large town with a very small but beautifully restored downtown and some sprawl to the west. About 10 minutes out, in any direction, we can get pretty rural. The people are very, very sweet and extremely polite. They will let you out into traffic and wave at you because they feel like it.

We are not going to have the bars and museums that you are use to, that is for sure. Hopefully the people and the outdoor life will make up for it. I'm a 49-year-old June Cleaver type so take this for what it is worth, but our girls here are beautiful and genuinely nice. If you are looking for a special lady, this may be the place for you.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I'd suggest coming for a week or two visit before you relocate. You might like it here and you very well might run screaming mad into the hills. In Knoxville there are things to do and there are sports bars and places to get a cold beer, as you mentioned, and find people to drink it with. Outside of Knoxville there is very little going for 20-something yr olds and even in Knox there is way less to do than you have in NYC. Also keep in mind while people do drink here there are many more who do not --in this area. Knoxville is more open on that. Outlying areas--well lets just say I joined a sports activity group and found if anyone mentions they even occasionally drink alcohol its instant shunning from the majority of the group. Remember this is a very religious area... do not expect Knoxville to be a smaller version of NYC. Come visit first!
I agree with you that Knoxville is more open than surrounding towns. It is nowhere close like some other places such as NYC, Southern California, etc. Pretty much of Tennessee is heavily-influenced by the SBC and conservatives. Not that there is anything wrong with the SBC and conservatives, but it is the way it is.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:16 PM

65 posts, read 153,714 times
I have lived in many cities, and I have to say that Knoxville is one of the best kept secrets. I remember the first time I came to Knoxville, I noticed the power lines (I still don't know why that haven't started burying those darn things), the small downtown, and the "Adult Video" sign on 40/75 (it's still and eyesore, but capitalism and free markets ...). I was worried about having to move to Knoxville from a much, much larger city, Atlanta. Having come from big cities with sports teams and large downtown areas, I felt like a fish out of water. It's hard for me to explain how negative I was when I started living here.

Then, I began to live here. I met the wonderful people, I experienced the perfect weather, I lived the slower-paced lifestyle, I enjoyed the lower-priced living, I drove in the less dense traffic, and I enjoyed the much lower amount of crime. As a result, my stress levels are zero, my happiness is through the roof, and my priorities in life have definitely changed. I used to think that I needed to live in a city with pro sports teams, a large downtown, at least 1 million people, and all the other things that come along with big cities, but after living here, I realized that I never really used those "features" of large cities. I had these preconceptions in my head, and my priorities were completely out of order. After realizing the benefits of Knoxville that only a local would know, I realize why so many people choose to retire here. I'm just lucky to be here in my prime. And if I ever want to experience something that Knoxville doesn't have, that's what vacations are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville