Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times

Advertisements

This is a question for all the locals. Where is a good place to go snow tubing and sledding once it snows? (if you have your own tubes or sleds) Any good hills or secret spots? I'm not talking about Ober Gatlinburg either. I'm talking about a place that they don't charge a ton of money or is over crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Hey Becky
From the way you phrased your question I think you have the impression that east TN/Knoxville gets a lot more snow than it actually does. Most places where it snows in east TN are kind of hit or miss as to when, how much, and for how long the snow stays. (I'm an hour or two east of Knoxville and our biggest snow last year consisted of about five or six inches of snow that stuck around for maybe a week, if that.) It doesn't snow consistenly enough in most of east TN to make skiing and tubing reliably doable without giving mother nature a helping hand.
If you are trying to plan a trip around snow sports in TN I think your best bet is to stick with Gatlinburg and their snow making machines or head over to NC for a day or two. There are several resorts within a two or three hour drive of Knoxville.
OR
You could try Roan Mountain, it's small and a little bit isolated, and I don't know how reliable the snowfall is but I suppose you could contact their chamber of commerce to get more info. Roan Mountain, Tennessee - Attractions
If you're feeling very adventurous you might look into Clingman's Dome

Old 11-09-2010, 04:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I agree. And to make sure there is no confusion, Dubble T is not in this area. She is in the Tri-Cities.

In Knoxville, we usually get a few inches all season, and rarely does it stick or last. Sledding is something that the kids hope for and then run outside to quickly enjoy it. Most don't even own sleds.

Some say there use to be more snow, and that is probably true, but no matter how you look at it, you can't count on getting enough for sledding. In fact, in the past 5 seasons, my daughter has been able to sled about 2 days.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Bummer! I would like to go snow tubing at Ober Gastlinburg but it appears to be packed and sell out. Is it better to travel to NC for snow tubing?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times
Clingman's Dome is closed in the winter. You can tube at Ober Gat - it doesn't sell out - you go in the morning and reserve a time slot. We got there around 9 and our time slot was 11 I think. It was really fun! And it's crowded in the beginning but people start dropping off, we got to go 6 times I think.

When I drive around Sevier county I see plenty of hills to sled on IF and WHEN we get the "big snow." But it hasn't happened yet.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Clingman's Dome is closed in the winter. You can tube at Ober Gat - it doesn't sell out - you go in the morning and reserve a time slot. We got there around 9 and our time slot was 11 I think. It was really fun! And it's crowded in the beginning but people start dropping off, we got to go 6 times I think.

When I drive around Sevier county I see plenty of hills to sled on IF and WHEN we get the "big snow." But it hasn't happened yet.
Thanks, did you go during the week or weekend? Is it better to reserve a later time as opposed to the morning? I was thinking Seiver County too. When we drive out to the flea market, I've seen several hills. That is if we are lucky enought to get snow while visiting.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times
We went on a weekday. I am not sure if we had the earliest time slot....their website has the times, I believe, let me know if you can't find it. I don't know which is better. We always have the mentality of getting to things early to "beat the crowd." What month are you coming? If there's any snow at all, I doubt it would be much, you'd have to go as high as possible for the most snow. There is one location on Newfound Gap (441) in the Smokies where I've seen a child sled, it's a small hill though.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
We went on a weekday. I am not sure if we had the earliest time slot....their website has the times, I believe, let me know if you can't find it. I don't know which is better. We always have the mentality of getting to things early to "beat the crowd." What month are you coming? If there's any snow at all, I doubt it would be much, you'd have to go as high as possible for the most snow. There is one location on Newfound Gap (441) in the Smokies where I've seen a child sled, it's a small hill though.
I did find their website with the times. They seem to go all day long. We don't have a definate date yet, but trying to make it in January.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Bummer! I would like to go snow tubing at Ober Gastlinburg but it appears to be packed and sell out. Is it better to travel to NC for snow tubing?
The closest good skiing area on a consistent basis is Ski Beech in NC. Its much higher than Ober Gatlinburg.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
This is a question for all the locals. Where is a good place to go snow tubing and sledding once it snows? (if you have your own tubes or sleds) Any good hills or secret spots? I'm not talking about Ober Gatlinburg either. I'm talking about a place that they don't charge a ton of money or is over crowded.
Wolf Laurel, off 1-26 about halfway between Johnson City and Asheville, N.C. (near Erwin, Tn. and Mars Hill, N.C.) is usually not too crowded and fairly (for Eastern U.S.) high mountain. (It's been a few years since I've been there, someone in Ky. told me they changed its name, but not sure to what).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville