Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

135 posts, read 293,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yep. And I said right off the bat that the crime stats are very high but that was because of the tourism and it was safe enough for the average Joe! I think that somehow got lost.

I think Ohio fisherman said it best. The area is full of crimes of opportunity. If you took away the restaurants, attractions and the thousands and thousands of hotel rooms the crime would probably be under the national average. Well under.

Living in Sevierville is very doable, but you have to make sure you are located on the "right" roads to your workplace. You also have to realize that prices can sometimes be higher because it is a tourist area.
She is definitely right!!! Amen to that!!! Prices here are outrageous! And most places here do not accept pets either. I have no clue why but it took us 5 months to find a DECENT apartment that wasn't 700 a month and took dogs, this was back in 2006 too. Buying a home here is impossible. We have no chance in hell of buying a home here because it is too expensive. We can't even find another apartment because of the prices. Ours is 475 a month, pretty nice for that low of a price but we couldn't afford 600 or up. So we are tied and bound to this till we move. Jobs suck here because it is mostly tourist jobs and they pay crap! Sevierville is never hiring and that is where your local businesses are. Pigeon Forge is always hiring for gift shops, retail and fast food. The price of living is insane cause locals pay what the tourists pay!
If you move to Pigeon Forge avoid RidgeRoad and in Sevierville avoid Frog Ally (behind Suntrust on Dolly Parton Parkway). Actually that whole road (Eat Gate Road) advoid!!!! I live on up Dolly Parton Parkway and I love my location. Everything I pay bills too in on my road. Food city is here. And it takes me to the back roads. So I love my area! We have had 2 shooting up here within 2 years but the first one was "by mistake" when the 17 or 18 year old girl was shot by her boyfriend accidentally. The other one happening back in February over drugs. It was 2 Ken-Yucky boys who shot the guys/ All of this was in our apartment complex (not our set of apartments) but the 2 most nicest and expensive apartments even though this happened I would still walk the road at 3 in the morning because it is still safe. I would never tell no one not to move in my area because of that. Just minor issues. And that's the first real crime in my area. Mistakes happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Once again, I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea it is to move to a tourist area. You will not meet nice people, for the most part. You'll meet people that are from somewhere else. Traffic is a bear. Prices are higher. Why come clear across the country to retire to that? What is the point of moving to Tennessee, after all, if you are going to settle into a tourist trap?

I so agree with you! Moving to a tourist trap....oops I mean area, in my opinion is a very bad idea.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville