Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 22,404 times

Advertisements

I realize that this question may have been answered once before--and I apologize ahead of time for that.

I know that overall safety levels really depend on street-level information. Can anyone speak to the part of Mechanicsville near the intersection of 40 and 275 (just south of University Ave.)? The house I'm interested is on Callaway, to be exact.

External photos make me think "blue collar"--which is totally fine. Not being from Knoxville, however, I have no sense overall of what each street might mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 AM

82 posts, read 200,799 times
So...I used to live to the slight north of University and Callaway (by that I mean several houses north) as a poor college student (stupid, reckless idea though nothing came of it). Yeah...it's the hood. Fair amount of gang graffiti nearby, crack being sold on the corner of University and Callaway, and I distinctly remember a stabbing. Lots of homeless people, and you'll probably be offered drugs or asked what the hell you're thinking by the locals if you walk the streets. We had to shoo crackheads off our porch fairly regularly. I'm not exaggerating any of this. The people who live there aren't bad people by and large; it's just very low SES and the social ills that come with it are very much present. South of University if a little better, though it depends how much further south; the further south the better because you get into the much nicer historic district and the police station is nearby. Anyway tbh I really can't recommend this area; most of it is very rundown and pretty unsafe for Knoxville. If you want a safer, nicer but still working class area, try Lincoln Park/Oakwood to the northeast, or if you're adventurous but not Mechanicsville adventurous, try the much prettier but still improving Park Ridge, where you at least stand a chance of the area getting better. Some parts of historic Mechanicsville are reasonably safe, and you at least get some pretty houses, but I don't know how far south on Callaway you're talking.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,504 times
I agree, when i was looking for a home back in '09 i asked my realtor about mechanicsville. His words were "trust me, you don't want to live there". Well, being curious as i am i decided to take a visit and i tend to agree with him. Its not horrible rough, i came from houston, by any means but i could never see myself enjoying that area. I can only imagine what it looked like before they put all those new "craftsmans" in. If you are looking for a good area thats not a whole lot further down the road than check out edgewood ave and the areas around it.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsouthern View Post
I agree, when i was looking for a home back in '09 i asked my realtor about mechanicsville. His words were "trust me, you don't want to live there". Well, being curious as i am i decided to take a visit and i tend to agree with him. Its not horrible rough, i came from houston, by any means but i could never see myself enjoying that area. I can only imagine what it looked like before they put all those new "craftsmans" in. If you are looking for a good area thats not a whole lot further down the road than check out edgewood ave and the areas around it.
Yeah, he was probably referring to the area closer to Western Avenue where they levelled College Homes, the old barracks-style housing project (which was built at the same time and in the same style as Western Heights but intended for African Americans, as segregation was still going on) in the early 90's and replaced it with a a bunch of houses that are actually fairly pretty on the outside, but the inside is a different story, they are shoddily built, and the area is still probably sketchier than somewhere you want to live without many redeeming factors. That area actually isn't quite as bad as the other parts though; if you're living right on Western Avenue across from Kroger you're probably ok. It's when you get further up in Mechanicsville to the north and east, which bleeds into the Beaumont/Lonsdale area on one side and West 5th on the other, that I really just can't recommend that area to anyone and actively advise you not to mess with it. Go up to the ridge around where the rapidly decaying Rule High school sits; it's really a surreal experience. And there are VERY few areas in Knoxville I would say that about. I mean...I'm sure it's nothing compared to Houston or most major cities, but there are plenty of neighborhoods in Houston you don't want to live in either.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsouthern View Post
I would consider Edgewood Avenue to be a better neighborhood and still affordable.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I would consider Edgewood Avenue to be a better neighborhood and still affordable.
I think Edgewood is an excellent suggestion. It's definitely blue collar but it's also very clean. It's got a nice little branch library adjacent to a neat little urban park, and it's super convenient.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 04-25-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 AM

5 posts, read 8,504 times
Sure edgewood is no 4th and gill but i feel very safe in this area. If you can stand "blue collar" neighborhoods than most areas south of 640 will probably suit your taste and be affordable too, some rougher than others so pick your poison. Good luck in your searches!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,430 times
I looked at the little green house at the corner of Callaway when I was house hunting in Oct. I liked the location, but had the same impression on the people as what's been offered here. When I was driving around a lot of people gave me angry stares, and I felt like one man made an intense effort to intimidate me with his posture, and hand gestures. I gave up on the area and ended up moving to Parkridge. Its not quite as close to UT, but the prices are similar and there is much more upwardly mobile diversity than you'll find in Mechanicsville, better architecture too.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
I looked at the little green house at the corner of Callaway when I was house hunting in Oct. I liked the location, but had the same impression on the people as what's been offered here. When I was driving around a lot of people gave me angry stares, and I felt like one man made an intense effort to intimidate me with his posture, and hand gestures. I gave up on the area and ended up moving to Parkridge. Its not quite as close to UT, but the prices are similar and there is much more upwardly mobile diversity than you'll find in Mechanicsville, better architecture too.
I lived in a little green house, not at the corner but close to it. Hah, probably not the same one but I just had to wonder. Looked nice on the outside, but definitely some structural flaws; much of the inside was clearly on a slant, which was particularly evident when you put anything up against the wall.

Yeah Park Ridge is definitely a much better call and sounds like it's been treating you well.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think Edgewood is an excellent suggestion. It's definitely blue collar but it's also very clean. It's got a nice little branch library adjacent to a neat little urban park, and it's super convenient.
I love that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville