Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,826 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Knoxville and was thinking of buying an old house in North knoxville/4th and Gill. I was loooking at around $100,000 and dont mind small updating. I plan to live there about 3 years and then will either need to sell or rent. I am not trying to make money, but if I rent (instead of buy) for 3 years at about $1000 a month, I would spend 36,000 anyway. Thoughts on being able to sell or rent quickly. I live in Colorado and I know in Boulder near CU, houses rent quickly with little risk. Curious about Knoxville. Also, thoughts on West knoxville?? I like the idea of living close to downtown but am very used to suburban life. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 AM

18 posts, read 62,043 times
4th & Gill is a pretty historic area so that causes houses to be priced pretty high. To get one for right at 100K its going to take a lot more than some minor work. As for renting: not 100% sure. It could be very easy, but with the way the market is saturated with foreclosures and people selling for the rock bottom they can afford it may be difficult although that area would probably be a big help!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,334,728 times
If you find a house in 4th/Gill for $100K, it will probably need at least that much to fix it up.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,619,221 times
Maybe you are looking on the fringes of 4th & G, like the Grainger ave area?

If you can indeed buy a house for 100K that will rent for 1K (3 br, I presume), it might be a good deal.

Like the others I am a bit suspicious, but deals can be found in these trying times.

The important question to ask here is do you enjoy doing home repairs and improvements or do you consider them a hassle?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 PM

I have been looking north of fourth and gill mostly which is I guess where the 100K is coming from. I am not so much worried about the improvements that need to be made. But I was more wandering if I would have trouble renting assuming the real estate market stays as it is now (I assume selling in 3 years will not be easy). Do students rent houses in these areas?

Thanks for all your feedback thus far. Its great to be able to tap into resources like this.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 PM

If you are north of 4th & gill you'll find much better prices but won't attract premium rents. So $1000mo might be a bit high unless it is a 4 BR.

Yes, students will rent further out, but the closer in the better as some like to bike. The rental market is pretty good these days.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM

16 posts, read 38,702 times
I think you would definitely be able to rent out a house to students that far north. I've only lived in Knoxville for about 2 weeks, but I'm a grad student at UT and actually live farther north than 4th & Gill. As far as price for that location, I have absolutely no idea. But if you advertise well enough, I'm sure you'll be able to get students to rent.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM

82 posts, read 201,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If you are north of 4th & gill you'll find much better prices but won't attract premium rents. So $1000mo might be a bit high unless it is a 4 BR.

Yes, students will rent further out, but the closer in the better as some like to bike. The rental market is pretty good these days.
I second this. I will say that some of the smaller houses in 4th and Gill/Old North you might be able to get for 100k and not have to spend just as much on fixup, but you also probably won't be able to rent them for 1k/month, either. What area were you thinking about in particular? You might find the balance you're looking for around the fringes of North Hills.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Someone else mentioned 1K for rent...Im not actually looking for that much. My main issue is buying a house that I will not live in after 3 years. I dont care about losing some money since I would obviously lose up to $36000 if I rented an apt instead of buying. i just dont want to get stuck with a mortgage on a house I dont live in if it wont sell or rent. I am open to any suggestions people have for locations to move into.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Well you'll be "losing" money on interest, taxes & insurance, & maintenance. With today's low interest rates you may come out a little better by owning but not by $36000. Plus you might be stuck being an absentee landlord at the end of 3 years.

If "this old house" is your very favorite TV show and you've really really wanted to fulfill your creative urge to remodel and decorate a house, Knoxville is a market where you can realize that dream - but it's not automatically a better investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: