Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM

83 posts, read 310,614 times

Advertisements

Okay so my hubby is down in Dandridge and heard that there is a no liquor law there. Only one upsacle rest. is allowed to sell it but you cant buy it in the stores? Is this true? its ot a big deal just reminds of that movie where they werent allowed to dance in there town! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 AM

42 posts, read 131,964 times
Jefferson County, for which Dandridge is part of, is a dry county. No liquor.
You can buy beer in the grocery stores. I frankly like it being dry. There are enough problems with beer drinkers driving drunk, I don't want hard liquor around here. People drunk on whiskey can get a lot meaner then people drunk on beer.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:59 AM

I think a person drunk on beer can get just as mean as a peron on whickey! LOL Its all what the person can handle. Its up to the individual. I just thought it was funny! LOL Im sure it will end up incorporated soem time in the future!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:20 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Actually, very few towns and counties in Tennessee allow liquor stores. Many towns do allow liquor by the drink in restaurants (not bars), but the vast majority of towns do not allow the sale of liquor by the bottle. You can probably count on your hands the number of counties that allow liquor stores (and there are 95 counties in Tennessee). Even Moore County, where Jack Daniels is located, does not allow liquor sales (they can make whiskey there, but they can't sell it there).

While it's conceivable that Dandridge might someday allow the sale of liquor by the drink in order for restaurants such as Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday to come to town, I honestly don't see them ever allowing liquor stores. And I'm ok with that.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Actually, very few towns and counties in Tennessee allow liquor stores. Many towns do allow liquor by the drink in restaurants (not bars), but the vast majority of towns do not allow the sale of liquor by the bottle. You can probably count on your hands the number of counties that allow liquor stores (and there are 95 counties in Tennessee). Even Moore County, where Jack Daniels is located, does not allow liquor sales (they can make whiskey there, but they can't sell it there).

While it's conceivable that Dandridge might someday allow the sale of liquor by the drink in order for restaurants such as Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday to come to town, I honestly don't see them ever allowing liquor stores. And I'm ok with that.
I was informed that the county that Jack Daniels distillery was located in actually made an exception a year or two ago to allow one bottle per tour guest to be purchased AFTER the tour.
Personally, I'll drive to GA to buy liquor since all we use it for is cooking and the rare drink, no big deal.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I agree with JMT, I don't foresee Jefferson County, Hawkins County, Grainger County and many others allowing liquor stores any time soon, and by that I project at least the next 20 years. I personally don't see them allowing it by the glass in restaurants any time soon either. But that is just me and yes, I do enjoy my wine.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:32 AM

Oh I dont mind! Ill drive to get liquor as I dont drink it that much anyway! Woudlnt tunr me off of moving to a specific town! Thats what they make cruises and Miami for! LOL Honetly, we have to keep the peace and old school values somewhere in this world or there woudl be nowhere to run too! Who woudl ever think that my disaterous teenager years would transform me into a now 27 year old who coudl care less about liquor! I brought to high school it in Sunny D bottles in 9th grade! LOL I would kill my kid if I ever found out he did that, so shhhh! LOL What happens in FL stays in FL!

Moderator cut: link

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-05-2007 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellec View Post
Oh I dont mind! Ill drive to get liquor as I dont drink it that much anyway! Woudlnt tunr me off of moving to a specific town! Thats what they make cruises and Miami for! LOL Honetly, we have to keep the peace and old school values somewhere in this world or there woudl be nowhere to run too! Who woudl ever think that my disaterous teenager years would transform me into a now 27 year old who coudl care less about liquor! I brought to high school it in Sunny D bottles in 9th grade! LOL I would kill my kid if I ever found out he did that, so shhhh! LOL What happens in FL stays in FL!
I was in Dandridge over the weekend and noticed that there is already a Ruby Tuesday there (by the interstate) so you won't have to go far to get a drink! They've got good burgers, too, and some great desserts to go with your drink.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I was in Dandridge over the weekend and noticed that there is already a Ruby Tuesday there (by the interstate) so you won't have to go far to get a drink! They've got good burgers, too, and some great desserts to go with your drink.
I believe that Ruby Tuesdays is dry.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
So in these dry counties how is the drunk driving issue? Less than most, more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville