Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 PM

81 posts, read 105,969 times

Advertisements

Just found out yesterday I'm being forced to move from my current rental home due to serious repair issues. Trying to find something in my price range that isn't a dump (or a scam) is proving impossible. Though admittedly it doesn't help that I"m totally frazzeled and not thinking clearly at this point! So I'm hopin someone might have suggestions

I've been hitting up Craigslist mostly, but so far nothing has panned out - I'd prefer to rent another house, but most of them are out of my price range (reallly need to keep to ~600, could stretch to 700 if I have to) or they're dumps (e.g. the 3 houses I visited tonight, one of which surprisingly is owned by someone who works where I'm at - I'd be sooo embarrassed to offer such a place to a 'coworker' of sorts!) I've checked out a few apartments (esp those with townhouses as I fig that's the next best thing to a house) but they don't have good reviews (bug infestations, sex offenders, murders, yikes!)

Am I being unreasonable looking for a 2BR that's in a relatively safe location and not a dump for around 600 a month?

Anyways, sorry, its late, and I'm rambling. So if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it - especially if I have to go the apartment route since i"m having even less luck with those. Here's what my "preferences" are that I'm looking for if that helps:
~600/mo rent (am a bit flexible)
2 bedrooms
allows pets (i have a med sized dog)
safe location, not a dump
house/townhouse style preferred, but considering apartments
closer to Oak Ridge area the better due to work

a bonus would be any places that offer shorter leases (like 6 months), since I don't have much time to look at places - as in I really need to try to find one by this weekend, I figure in case I do end up in a place that I don't like, I'd rather not be stuck there any longer than necessary....

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,824,556 times
Are you looking at Fountain City & Halls?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:55 AM

610 posts, read 1,624,389 times
Could get a 1 bedroom apt at Forest Ridge for $702 a month...use the living room as another bedroom and it's close to Oak Ridge. Safe and great area.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Thanks, I'm looking pretty much anywhere, including Halls/FC. Just none that had panned out yet I'd checked into. There's a few I found in Halls I'm gonna see today, and call about a few in FC. ::crossing fingers::

I may have found a house in Clinton, but I'm kinda waiting on it (lady is out of town til Monday anyways, so I have the weekend to still look). But I might have that at least if nothing else...

Oh side question, what utilities is the Halls area on? Knoxville/Clinton/other? The few I'm looking at today the lady didn't know (her husband is the one that oversees them and he was out). It'd just be conveniant if they happen to be on CUB since that's what I'm currently on but its not a big deal

Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
Rents will be cheaper in Clinton.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Eh, it depends, rent in Clinton can vary just as much as about anywhere else. The one I was in was 600, but I've seen some under 500 too.

So good news, I got a place in Fountain City! Pretty nice place and nice couple I'm renting from, were very sympathetic to my situation so they're gonna meet me tomorrow to do the paperwork & move in so I can get out asap (well at least get started, it's gonna be a rather lengthy process *sigh*).

Oh, any suggestions for quick/good way to get from FC to Oak Ridge? Someone at work said cutting across on Emory wasn't all that great cause its heavily trafficked. Taking the highway around seems excessive, but was easier to traverse admittedly.

Also, suggestions for places to look for good used boxes? I wasn't sure if stores still let you just come ask for/take boxes? Like Staples or Walmart or whatever...

Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I'd do the highway. I've gone the Emory Road route. The other possibility is Raccoon Valley Road which is better than Emory, by far. But the fastest will probably be the highway. Depends where in Fountain City and where in Oak Ridge, of course.

I moved over six years ago. Best box finds were at grocery stores. That might have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville