Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

It takes about 6-8 months to build and stock a costco.... Yes, only amex and checks,cash and debit cards.
Yes, they have a sweatheart deal with amex which has to do with how much % they pay in card processing fees.
Gas is sold at cost or just below cost. Cheepest liqour prices that will be found bar none.
If you spend a decent amount per year membership is free or almost free with the executive membership rebates, last year ours was $19 and free the year before.
Absolutely the best return policies of ANY company out there!
Wife used to work for costco and we are hoping we get there before one is built so she can go back!
We've been using them since they were 2 seperate companies, price club and costco circa 1970's, then went to pricecostco then just straight costco. One was union the other not, guess which one ended up being top dog?

BTW, I'm not a stock holder or employee of costco, I just believe in their stores and your ability to save some money (if you shop carefully that is)....

Anywho.... Hope they do build one there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 10:54 AM

390 posts, read 1,701,906 times
I love Trader Joes!!! I really miss Trader Joes from CA, but I have been without it so long because FL doesn't have them either.

In Los Angeles there were very few Sam's Clubs, and lots of Costcos. In FL they had both, about equal. Since coming to Chattanooga, I really do miss Costco. At Sam's the meat is not nearly as good, and I had to return some flank steak because it went bad before the use by date. In FL, I used to like some of Sam's party platters, but I have not tried any here (only been here
since 9/1. The diapers and all of that fun stuff I can get at both, but the foods are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
We didn't have Sam's in CA; only Costco, and I got spoiled. I didn't even know they were in TN! Costco has much better baked goods and meats. It was hard for me to believe at first, but their steaks are really excellent. If they do those free membership things, save me a place in line!

Now if we could just get a Trader Joe's and maybe an In and Out, we would be all set.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:06 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,462 times
Yeah Sam's is kinda lame, just a more "bulk" Walmart. Why can't they put a Fry's here for us tech geeks?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:46 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
For what it's worth--a local Costco employee says Costco is coming to Knoxville.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Definately Trader Joes!!! everyone chant now...2 buck chuck, 2 buck chuck!!!!
Fry's wouldn't be bad either. Gotta tell the better half about costco though!!

Old 10-13-2007, 01:58 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,906 times
That is what we served at our wedding in Granada Hills, CA...Nothing but the best for us baby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Definately Trader Joes!!! everyone chant now...2 buck chuck, 2 buck chuck!!!!
Fry's wouldn't be bad either. Gotta tell the better half about costco though!!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbyrd View Post
That is what we served at our wedding in Granada Hills, CA...Nothing but the best for us baby!!!
Not bad stuff at all for the price!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:06 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
For what it's worth--a local Costco employee says Costco is coming to Knoxville.
That's great news!!!!

And I agree with jimj's assessment of Costco. I was a member at Costco in Memphis and went there on a weekly basis to just wander around. Its bakery is second to none. And it's still the only place I've seen in the US that sells gigantic jars of Nutella...

I also agree with pdq's assessment of Sam's. I definitely prefer Costco and think once Costco is built in Knoxville, Sam's is going to have some stiff competition. I bet the one Costco store will do as much business as both Sam's locations.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Has anyone be to a BJ's yet? Along the same line as costco or sams. They had built one in Alpharetta GA before we left.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
You couldn't give me Walmart or Sam's meat. A company that ignores people but is fanatical about their bottom line shouldn't sell food.

There is nothing in the Sam's near the East Town mall. Just nothing.

Frye's would be great, as well as Costco.

We had a BJs that came to town in Mass. about 15 years ago. It was great. Even better than Costco, if you can believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville