Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times

Advertisements

How old is the kid - kids? Beaumont magnet school is very popular with the crunchy crowd. There are some neighborhoods off central zoned for Beaumont. I'm thinking oakwood -lincloln park is a good compromise but I don't know what schools it is zoned for.

You'll find liberal people in Fountain city - actually in most parts of town scattered about. We tend to have political diversity here. But most of the city is dominated by moderates - and the Apathetic Party.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM

74 posts, read 136,702 times
Very helpful info, thanks all

Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 AM

74 posts, read 136,702 times
What is "crunchy crowd"?

Liberals? bc they crunch on granola bars?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
I'm surprised you haven't heard the term. Hippie types that like crunchy granola. I can talk this way as I have a crunchy side and don't consider it an insult.

If you need to feel surrounded by kindred spirits go hang out at the 3 rivers market at Baxter and Central.

If you are new-agey the glowing body yoga studio is your spot.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
And definitely come down to The Farmer's Market on Saturdays. Completely different vibe than Farragut's - not that I don't like Farragut, I do. If you are really interested in meeting kindred spirits, join the local Democratic Party. They have a FB page and if you "like" it they will invite you to all sorts of social events. I haven't gone to any because I don't have anyone to attend with.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
I must really be out of it. All this time going to Market Square, and/or Turkey Creek, and I have no idea what the political leanings are of the people around me (nor do I care).

Old 06-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Really? I don't know about Turkey Creek but I bet that the people with the dreads beating drums, the back-to-the-earth types that are selling organic, the folks with more of an "Asheville look" didn't vote for Reagan, if they were old enough anyway. Then there is the whole mayoral election thing where someone so left she fought for farm workers' rights with Chavez and trounced the moderate in the election makes me think there aren't too many members of the Young Republican's Club. Of course I know some of those folks so maybe I have more clarity. Not everyone is left or even moderate down there, especially not the visitors, but the regulars are very liberal for the most part.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,790,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I must really be out of it. All this time going to Market Square, and/or Turkey Creek, and I have no idea what the political leanings are of the people around me (nor do I care).
When I began reading this thread and then spotted another looking for places much more conservative than Cookeville I really began wondering what I was missing as a moderate somewhat libertarian person. Now you have to have a political leaning to be going to a particular Farmer's Market? That is just too strange. Maybe I am going to the wrong supermarket, too? Personally this labeling people in convenient little packages to segregate oneself from them is pretty odious to me. I used to live in an extremely liberal area, and now live in one more conservative leaning, yet I have always found underneath it all people are really more alike than not, whether or not I agree with their political views.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Really? I don't know about Turkey Creek but I bet that the people with the dreads beating drums, the back-to-the-earth types that are selling organic, the folks with more of an "Asheville look" didn't vote for Reagan, if they were old enough anyway. Then there is the whole mayoral election thing where someone so left she fought for farm workers' rights with Chavez and trounced the moderate in the election makes me think there aren't too many members of the Young Republican's Club. Of course I know some of those folks so maybe I have more clarity. Not everyone is left or even moderate down there, especially not the visitors, but the regulars are very liberal for the most part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
When I began reading this thread and then spotted another looking for places much more conservative than Cookeville I really began wondering what I was missing as a moderate somewhat libertarian person. Now you have to have a political leaning to be going to a particular Farmer's Market? That is just too strange. Maybe I am going to the wrong supermarket, too? Personally this labeling people in convenient little packages to segregate oneself from them is pretty odious to me. I used to live in an extremely liberal area, and now live in one more conservative leaning, yet I have always found underneath it all people are really more alike than not, whether or not I agree with their political views.
Hyperbole much?

Most of my friends are moderate to conservative with a few liberals thrown in. I'm more of a left-leaning moderate. Yes, people are generally the same and I'm looking to live closer to my work which will probably be in the West Knoxville/Farragut area. However, this forum isn't about judging the original poster last time I checked. She's looking for a liberal area to live - and many, many posters are looking for a conservative area to live as well. To each their own. She has every right to ask for an area where her neighbors share her same ideology and around here that is going to be the downtown core and close neighborhoods.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,246,239 times
I agree. I'm moving in about a month and in my new city I definitely tried to feel around and find the more libertarian/liberal/hippie area. It's just a preference and it doesn't mean I can't go out to the suburbs and shop at the Barnes and Noble, too. But living around other people that are sort of like you just makes me happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville