Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times

Advertisements

Going back to your original post..you asked why after a dozen interviews you, a disabled vet, have no offers. There are probably thousands of people who are just as educationally qualified, but with years of more specifically related experience to those particular jobs. I totally understand how frustrating this is, but it's a fact that the job market right now is really tough, especially for folks 50+. Some employers may assume (right or wrong) that boomers will not accept a low starting salary, and they also may be less flexible to work with, or some other age-related stereotype. Doesn't make it right, for sure, but some things just have to be accepted. Sometimes you might have to be non-traditional in your search, use methods like networking, guerilla marketing, doing what you need to do to make your talents known. Most jobs are not acquired today through the usual "reply to an ad" route. I wish you well in your search. I can feel your frustration in your post, and it is so important not to let that impact your interview performance. You definitely don't want to come across as bitter and angry to a prospective employer. From one veteran to another, I sincerely thank you for your service to our country. Good luck and hang in there buddy.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
If you haven't used a veteran's job-hunting firm like Orion International or Bradley Morris, I strongly urge you to sign up. These firms are run by veterans and their sole job is to serve as match-makers for veterans looking for post-military career. They'll take your military and civilian skills and experiences, geographical preferences and other things into account and tailor their job search to that. You'll be invited to hiring conferences where employers genuinely want to hire a veteran. If you haven't been to a job fair, most job fairs involve employers who may not even be hiring but instead are just doing PR while starry-eyed hopefuls wander around to different tables, glance at a billboard, gloss over a brochure and engage in meaningless small talk with apathetic reps who'd rather be somewhere else.

A hiring conference on the other hand, is set up by the job hunting firm and is comprised of spending one day at an Embassy Suites or similar place attending an interview & resume workshop, then the next day you'll attend bonafide interviews with employers looking to hire asap. If you're far away enough from a conference then Orion will pay for your hotel whereas Bradley Morris will not, so take that into account. Because of this, I have no experience with Bradley Morris but I'm told that they run their employers & job search and conferences essentially the same as Orion.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 4,818 times
This is for BarkingSpider "If I felt entitled I wouldn't be working 2 part time jobs placing my Social Security Disability benefits in jeapordy. I would have started complaining a long time ago. I am just feeling that I'm not being treated fairly by the applicant selection process which is due to the employer outsourcing their HR Dept and not specifying Vets as part of their criteria. While I don't feel entitled, I do believe the civilian and corporate sectors has a responsibility over and above a hand shake and a thank you." "Hiknapster, dump the staffing agencies. They only benefit employers or at least set your applicant requirements to include everyone qualified for the position. If it is an entry level position, then don't set a prerequisite for 2 years experience. Staffing agencies are a cost effective alternative, but get a poor reputation because companies hide behind them to provide less to their newest employees, when they need the employers help and guidance the most. Just remember that there are those of us out there that are having to start over and are willing to start at the bottom." DaveC and notes, thanks for your advice and support. I won't give up, but am very likely to travel a different path. I will now always suspect a thank you for my service as insincere instead of heartfelt. Also "BarkingSpider and Hiknapster" thank you for your criticism, it was insightful. Now if the two of you have no solutions please walk a mile in their shoes before you start telling someone what they are doing wrong.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,786,156 times
You are fixated on being a veteran and what that should mean, but it is more likely a function of your age and perceived newness to your field (and concurrent lack of experience) that is closing doors. Being a veteran does not make you a better candidate for a job if that status adds nothing to your abilities to perform the job. The people hiring for a company are fixated on who can do the best job for the least amount of money and can be very choosy hiring someone who is younger and will last a few years. Being a veteran, or not, doesn't even enter into the equation unless the job you did in the military provided you with useful experience to the job. Anyone above the age of 50 let alone 60 can tell you they are being pushed to leave their corporate jobs in some way or another in so many parts of this country. It might not be nice and it may even be a hair shy of illegal but people are constantly reporting about being marginalized, talked down to and otherwise made so uncomfortable that they elect to retire early rather than put up with it for a few more years as they may have planned. The economy in the last 4 years has certainly made it even harder and may older people lost well paid and full benefits jobs only to find even lower pay and no benefits jobs in their field were out of reach. Everywhere it is the same, if you lost your job with the tanking of the economy it was twice as hard to get another if you are part of the boomer cohort than any other age group/generation. As someone new to the field, and old to boot, you already are at a big disadvantage.

It might be true that not everyone is sincere in their thanks to service people, since the pendulum has swung from the time of Vietnam to now, but there are enough of us who do, or who have members of their family currently serving, and appreciate the sacrifices and difficulties that your service entailed. This means that we are are sincere in our thanks. Thanks for your service to your country and best of luck finding the job your seek.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployedVeteran View Post
This is for BarkingSpider "If I felt entitled I wouldn't be working 2 part time jobs placing my Social Security Disability benefits in jeapordy. I would have started complaining a long time ago. I am just feeling that I'm not being treated fairly by the applicant selection process which is due to the employer outsourcing their HR Dept and not specifying Vets as part of their criteria. While I don't feel entitled, I do believe the civilian and corporate sectors has a responsibility over and above a hand shake and a thank you." "Hiknapster, dump the staffing agencies. They only benefit employers or at least set your applicant requirements to include everyone qualified for the position. If it is an entry level position, then don't set a prerequisite for 2 years experience. Staffing agencies are a cost effective alternative, but get a poor reputation because companies hide behind them to provide less to their newest employees, when they need the employers help and guidance the most. Just remember that there are those of us out there that are having to start over and are willing to start at the bottom." DaveC and notes, thanks for your advice and support. I won't give up, but am very likely to travel a different path. I will now always suspect a thank you for my service as insincere instead of heartfelt. Also "BarkingSpider and Hiknapster" thank you for your criticism, it was insightful. Now if the two of you have no solutions please walk a mile in their shoes before you start telling someone what they are doing wrong.
When one posts on this forum one should expect to get a wide range of responses. Some will be liked and some will not. The one great thing is that people take the time to answer your posts. By giving of themselves they have given to you. I am not sure that any response here by anyone will be good enough. I am sorry for your situation, and I wish you the very best. Here is a link to a Google search that may provide some help and or information that is useful. organizations that help veterans get jobs - Google Search

I am closing this thread but anyone can feel free to use their DM's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville