Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 PM

186 posts, read 485,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma123 View Post
I'm new to this forum but I have to say one thing. Why in the world do so many people think Tennessee is so much better than Florida???? I moved up here 2 years ago from Melbourne, Florida thinking it would be so much better. Boy was I wrong!!!!!!!!!!! First it took me forever to find a half way decent job. Then I found one and was laid off in August of this year. I have looked high and low for employment and finally have a temp job for a few months. I'm not knocking Tennessee it is pretty. But it's not as great as everyone said it is. Have my house for sale and going back to the sunshine state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If any floridians out there looking to move to East Tennessee you should really check out the jobs, and weather in the winter. Winter up here is grey and gloomy for weeks on end. I don't care what they say about florida. Give me back the sun and beach!!!!!!!
What line of work are you in?
There are no guarantees in life, especially when it comes to moving to a new city. Unless your current job is transferring you there, or you are retired or independently wealthy, it's always a gamble. Then again, life would be boring if you don't take a risk once in a while. There are very few states that I feel comfortable being in. Tennessee happens to be one of those states where I feel comfortable being in. It's one of those states that feels like I can make a home there. The people that I've come in contact with in Tennessee have all made me feel welcomed. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, momma. You need to be where you feel works best for you and your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Cool I don't think it just getting a bargain on a house that is to be considered.

Actually, the price you pay being steep, as you mentioned, GBH, isn't just the cost of living.

I think that the steepest price to be paid will be for all of those reasons that Floridians say are why they want to leave the state - over-crowding, increased cost of living, congestion, crime, terrible traffic conditions, etc.

To me, that cost would far outweigh the cost difference in a house. It isn't the house that makes a place a home.

I think that you were referring to all of these things if I inferred correctly. Is that right, goodbyehollywood?

Best of everything to you momma123. I am sorry it hasn't worked out for you, but it doesn't for everyone. That is why there are 50 states and not just one!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Well, GBH probably inferred the other stuff, which I am too obtuse to realize at this moment.

A brain dead state does that to you.

Yeah, well, there are those other things to think of, regarding Florida, and the reason we are not going back there.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, GBH probably inferred the other stuff, which I am too obtuse to realize at this moment.

A brain dead state does that to you.

Yeah, well, there are those other things to think of, regarding Florida, and the reason we are not going back there.
That's the second best news I've heard all day. Hey, both things involved hiknapster! (I meant the moving back part - not the brain dead part!)

Last edited by gemkeeper; 12-14-2007 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: clarifying

Old 12-14-2007, 11:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
That's the second best news I've heard all day. Hey, both things involved hiknapster! (I meant the moving back part - not the brain dead part!)
I'm thinking we cannot do much about the brain dead part. After all, there is only so much organic food and vitamins that you can imbibe.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:06 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Yes, sorry, I was being metaphorical and rolling all the undesirables into one big pronouncement. The traffic, overcrowding, etc. is doing its part to drive people away. I think Miami's still really overpriced, though, isn't it?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Smile I caught your drift, GBH. I think most of us did.

That is exactly what I assumed from your post, goodbyehollywood.

Hey, I think that means I am getting to know some personalities and the thinking of my forum friends, GBH!

That makes me soooo happy! It warms me up on a cold rainy day like this. Yum, my English Teatime is helping too.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:45 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:

Hey, I think that means I am getting to know some personalities and the thinking of my forum friends, GBH!

Gem, I'll keep ya guessing......

Old 12-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Gem, I'll keep ya guessing......
Ah, Bones, we all have had you pegged for a long time! Why do you think we let you hang around? Because we LIKE you - we REALLY like you!!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Ah, Bones, we all have had you pegged for a long time! Why do you think we let you hang around? Because we LIKE you - we REALLY like you!!
What can I say - it's nice to be loved....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville