Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 06:43 PM

22 posts, read 56,589 times

Advertisements

Have learned some about JC/Kingsport/Bristol area and now seeking information about areas south and up to Knoxville. Does the winter ease much between JC area and Jefferson City and down to Maryville? How hot does it feel in summer and for how long? I have seen the stats but wanted to know from someone living there if the summers make you wanna go inside to the AC more often than not, and if so, how much of the summer, say in weeks? Does anyone have pics of the Morrisville or Maryville areas, downtown and is there much of a job market. What about drugs, meth labs in that "out of the big city" type area, heard it could be problematic in some areas. I am retired AF so job market isn't an issue for me but I have my sr mother and a upper 20s son in the computer networking field who is considering moving also but would need job market...I love my seasons but orthopedic disab make taking care of mother difficult in such long hard winters up here. Gotta have fishing, camping, trees, rivers, etc. but trying to get some break on winter. Mother has breathing issues so need to be aware of industry that would antagonize that more than the humidity already does. Also, I have a mixed family of kids adopted from different races and though grown now and some with kids of their own, I would like to know what the attitude of cooperation between races is generally down there, and is it considerably different between city and country life. What is the regional "spirit" toward transplants? Bible Belt mentality? A source of pride and distinction or trying to genuinely love in the name of Christ? Judgement or Compassion? Obviously that is broad and surely both exist but would like to hear different perspectives from what people have experienced. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:23 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,824,556 times
This is our 8th year here and this past winter was the worst we've had as far as being the coldest and having the most snow. Snow was never a bad thing, but it is here because they don't plow the roads. If ice is under the snow, you won't get out of your subdivision. So my advice is, the closer you live to a main road, the better (and no hills!) Most of our summers have been on the dry side. I usually have to do a lot of watering so the plants don't die. Last summer wasn't like that though, it was great. We always get a few weeks in the 90s, and it does get very humid, so yes there are about 2 months where I just want to stay inside.

As far as drugs and jobs, it's gonna be worse if you're outside the metro area (Knoxville/Maryville). Morristown and Jefferson City are very rural, small towns.

I've met hundreds of transplants over the years and we all say the same thing, it's hard to make friends here, even if you go to church. The natives have their friends and family and aren't looking for more. Everyone is friendly, they will talk your ear off, but they take no interest in you. Your friends will most likely be other transplants. There is both judgment and compassion as I think there is everywhere else. Some people will help you and some will walk away. If you are in the metro area, your mixed family will not be a problem. I can't speak for the rural areas. The majority of people avoid confrontation of any kind, if they have a problem with you, they will talk about it in the privacy of their home, or maybe with their drinking buddies.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,662 times
I have lived in Jefferson City and surrounding small towns since 1987. I moved here from Florida and before that Northern Indiana. Half-back is what they call me. Moved south then only went half way back to the north. I find the climate better than both the north and the south. The mild winters are good. Most years the weather swings from warmish to colder about every week. With January having mostly cold. December is fairly mild and by March its spring with lots of rain. Winter seldom goes into the teens and only a couple times has it gone below 0. Generally it only snows a couple of times and some years not at all. If it snows and the ground is warm it melts, if the ground is cold and it sticks then usually only lasts a couple days. NJDevil is right If you need to go to work stick close to a main road and watch how steep your driveway is. I worked in Knoxville and I dont remember not being able to make it to work. Maybe a time or two. You dont want to drive in it much even though you do know how to drive in snow. The roads are made so water flows off. That means in snow and ice you will slide off and there is likely a ditch you will need to be pulled out of. I stay home and make excellent use of an extra day off by baking, reading, and making a snowman or going sledding. Its a treat rather than the norm here. I lived in Elizabethton for a short time. I thought there was more cold and more winter in that area than the Knoxville area.

The summer is hot and humid but cooler than FL and I have seen the same weather in No IN but it doesnt last as long. By August and Sept I am over it and cant wait for fall. I have managed summers with a fan and closing the house during the day but same thing by Aug the humidity has ramped up and it isnt cooling off as much at night. I need air conditioning then early mornings are the time to get out to do things. Ill still take a bit of heat and humidity for the much milder winters, the trade off of living in the north. October comes with wonderful fall weather, beautiful scenery, and it is great to live here. Spring is the same, fairly long periods (a couple months) of mild beautiful weather.

NJ is right on about the friendliness. I know tons of people but I have never made a great friend of a native. They are great and hug you, talk your ear off but you wont be invited to Sunday dinner with their kin.

I find Jefferson City a nice quiet place to live. I have always felt safe here. There is a small college so in the winter there are a lot of young people and activities. It also brings all nationalities to this area as foreign students and some stay. It is a short drive to Knoxville (about 20 miles) easy enough for entertainment, shopping, and work. The smaller towns are a bit red neck and strongly Baptist but I dont think they impose their beliefs on others. It is certainly easier and safer to live with than lawlessness of some big city areas but I believe Knoxville to be a good place to live as well. We raised 2 children in FL, after rough teenage years we chose to move to TN hoping for an easier time with the last child. In Fl people say 'You go to Church?' In TN they say 'where do you go to church?' I think that pretty much sums it up because people tend to live what they believe.

Jefferson City is scenic and has fishing/camping places. It is just a jump from Sieverville and you might want to look at that area. There are a lot of outdoor things to do there. Dandridge is a lovely little town close to water and woods. Newport is not a place I would chose to live but there are great outdoor areas there. I like to go there for white water rafting. Beautiful mountains and waterways.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I firmly believe that the small towns and rural areas are far different than living in Knoxville. There are a lot more transplants here but the locals are very friendly and I promise you that you can make friends here.

People make friends if they have something in common. The locals aren't stupid, either. If they think they are looked down upon, they won't cozy up beyond being superficially friendly.

But places like Jefferson County can be less welcoming from what I've heard from people I've worked with. If you aren't born there, you may not be included into their circle.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM

148 posts, read 305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I firmly believe that the small towns and rural areas are far different than living in Knoxville. There are a lot more transplants here but the locals are very friendly and I promise you that you can make friends here.

People make friends if they have something in common. The locals aren't stupid, either. If they think they are looked down upon, they won't cozy up beyond being superficially friendly.

But places like Jefferson County can be less welcoming from what I've heard from people I've worked with. If you aren't born there, you may not be included into their circle.

I live in Jefferson County and its more country. I see people are more laid back. Ofcourse, being country it has less population and less services, however, I do see an older generation as a whole, than I see in Knox County or the City of Knoxville. However my take they are just as friendly as anywhere around here, just a bit slower in accepting new people to the community. I consider my little neighborhood, being the average type in Jefferson County, I find them to be friendly and helpful. Its just depends on the lifestyle you are looking for and the services you want in your life.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,007 times
Good Luck Meadow1958, interesting comments and as long as you reach out, friendships are developed between people that have common things they like. Building and trusting is best when you have the common bonds and you can find great people everywhere you go and to suggest that different areas are less, is not fair, as it all depends on reaching out and as the old saying goes, to have a friend , you have to be a friend!
Several groups meet up for introduction and pm me and be happy to help introduce you to many and again, building is a two way street, and you want have a problem, not matter where you choose, if you open up and work on it. Try Knoxville and you want be disappointed!

Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Beware of wolves in sheeps' clothing. Also, there are lots of groups to make friends in, but be forewarned that the group that one person wants you to meet is actually business people hoping you'll part with your money. Some people know how to make friends and some people only use others for monetary gain.

Also be aware that if an agent sends you a personal message wanting to help you with their real estate needs, it is NOT allowed on this forum. Notify moderator beretta or JMT.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 56,589 times
Thanks out to all - NJDevil, Meg 42, hiknapster, Richard and oldmanbob - greatly appreciate your comments and information, and the civility with which everyone delivered them. Wow, sometimes these forum posts get quite, um, "harsh" I'll say for lack of a better word. It was nice hearing different but courteous responses. I do think I am narrowing down to TN for sure. Have exed off N FL and probably NC but now it is just a matter of the job market areas in TN. One last question is concerning the air quality/breathability in areas around Knoxville, in particular Sevierville. Some reading and stats showed that area between Knoxville and the Smokies can be problematic, does anyone know anyone or have personal experience with respiratory issues regarding that area? Also, if anyone has recommendations 1st hand on good places/people to start looking for land. We are thinking of setting my mother up in an apt. and then my son and I staying in our motorhome at a nice park for a short season while we look for a house or decide to build. It would be great to find an improved piece of property that we could use and then build on. My contact lrb.578 at gmail dot com Thanks again folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville