Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,963 times

Advertisements

I have read past post but hope some new answers might arise. We are moving..well we don't know yetwhere. Either Maryville or Knoxville. We'll be driving up in about a month to choose. My question is this. What are the pro's & con's of each place???
Looking for a home w/ 4 bedrooms around 210 to 240. Can we find something that has at least 1 acre with woods in the backyard. Don't want anything like cookie cutter home or anything where there is a fee. Something more out in the countryI guess is what I'm trying to say. Also have look into Alcoa,Friendsville & outside Knoxville. We have kids too.
Thanks for any info given
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 PM

156 posts, read 493,393 times
I was born and raised in the Knoxville area. If I were to move back, Maryville would be my choice. It is beautiful small town located at the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. The school system is rated as one of the best in the state of Tennessee. Maryville and Alcoa High are state powerhouses in football (if you like football). Maryville College (where I met my wife) is one of those 'hidden gems' in post secondary education. Finally, I believe you will have more options to purchase a house on a 1 acre lot in your price range in Maryville. My opinion.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:26 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBrat View Post
I have read past post but hope some new answers might arise. We are moving..well we don't know yetwhere. Either Maryville or Knoxville. We'll be driving up in about a month to choose. My question is this. What are the pro's & con's of each place???
Looking for a home w/ 4 bedrooms around 210 to 240. Can we find something that has at least 1 acre with woods in the backyard. Don't want anything like cookie cutter home or anything where there is a fee. Something more out in the countryI guess is what I'm trying to say. Also have look into Alcoa,Friendsville & outside Knoxville. We have kids too.
Thanks for any info given
Do you want Maryville in the county or Maryville in the city? There are tons of previous posts similar to your request that you can pull up by using the Advanced Search tab. Please tell us a little bit about what your family likes to do, what is important, etc. so we can help you more. Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Thank you both
Maryville the city. I see many houses in north Knoxville or way out East but we prefer near the Smokey Mountains..ie Alcoa--Maryville. We have 5 kids ages 11 to 19,they like anything outdoors. Fishing,Football,Hiking,Skateboarding..anything outdoors.
I did have a new question,what cell phone service is the best in Maryville? Oh,one more question. What is the weather like in May,are there many thunderstorms? Ive looked online for past weather & can't seem to find a thing.
Thanks for the welcome too

Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
Quote:
Thank you both
Maryville the city. I see many houses in north Knoxville or way out East but we prefer near the Smokey Mountains..ie Alcoa--Maryville. We have 5 kids ages 11 to 19,they like anything outdoors. Fishing,Football,Hiking,Skateboarding..anything outdoors.
I did have a new question,what cell phone service is the best in Maryville? Oh,one more question. What is the weather like in May,are there many thunderstorms? Ive looked online for past weather & can't seem to find a thing.
Thanks for the welcome too
Friends in Maryville area have Sprint, US Cellular and/or Verizon. From personal experience AT&T does not work well for cell service. Welcome to the Forum and Maryville if you should decide this is the place for you and your family. Outdoor activities abound in this area for kids and adults.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Verizon!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks,we have Alltel which Verizon is buying so I guess that will work. Surprised about AT&T though.
Anyone have any advice on Hotels in the Maryville Area? When we visit next month we have to stay somewhere. I looked on Trip Advisor but that's a story for a different day.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks,we have Alltel which Verizon is buying so I guess that will work. Surprised about AT&T though.
Anyone have any advice on Hotels in the Maryville Area? When we visit next month we have to stay somewhere. I looked on Trip Advisor but that's a story for a different day.
Any of the Marriott, Hampton, Fairfield, Holiday Inn Express, etc. by the airport or the "split" in Alcoa will be fine. Stay away from the Days Inn or Family Inn there. These are just minutes from Maryville.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
I would also like to add Jamison Inn at the split. We stayed there while on our Maryville search and were received by courteous and attentive staff. Just my two cents.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,508 times
Default Moving to Knoxville/Maryville

First I want to say Hi to everyone,Ive read over past post and have some questions answered but I couldn't find a few.
We are going to visit Knoxville/Maryville & Alcoa & West Knoxville to look at areas to move to but we don't want to waste what little time ( 3 days ) we have to just drive around.
1) What areas/zip codes should we look at in these areas?
2) What is the weather like the 1st week of June or the 1st week of July? ( I don't like driving in bad thunderstorms..ha ha...)
3) I think we are staying at the Hilton in Knoxville and would like to know where the best burgers are at? Or other places to eat & drink
4) If we have time to go sightseeing where should we go?
We are looking for a 4 Bed with finished basement & maybe an office up to 240,000.00. We have 5 kids, a grandbby & well me & my hubby,that's why we ned a home with a finished basement & extra room. Oh and no cookie cutter homes.
Any help would be great..
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville