Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the forest heights section of Knoxville? Saw a house on finer living tonight and it looked like a very nice, wooded neighborhood. Can anyone tell me what the zip code is so I can do a little research on realtor.com ?

Just when we thought were were settled on Navarre this show comes on and it looked nice. I wonder how costly it would be though in comparison to the Navarre Fla area?

Can anyone name other neighborhoods that are wooded, hilly but not too hilly, and not over the top in terms of price? Can a nice 4 bedroom house be bought in the 200-300K range with maybe .75 acre or more ( wooded)

Who is the cable provider and do they offer internet?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 02:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Is this my Mr. Tudo, from the Florida forum?

Yes, Forest Heights is nice. It's close to where my daughter took dance lessons. The zip code is 37919. Yes, there is cable, internet and phone, all provided by Comcast. I work for them!

There are LOTS of lovely areas in Knoxville in your price range.

This link will give you a great start.

http://public.kaarmls.com/property/s...?AreaID=1&pt=1

Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Hiknapster: Is this my Mr. Tudo, from the Florida forum?

Way to go Hik, recruiting from other states!! You get the C-D Chamber of Commerce seal of approval for your efforts!!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 PM

I like a lot of people on the Florida forum, but MrTudo is one of my favorites! He would be a great addition to this fine city!

Do I sound like I'm running for mayor, or what?

Old 12-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Is this my Mr. Tudo, from the Florida forum?

Yes, Forest Heights is nice. It's close to where my daughter took dance lessons. The zip code is 37919. Yes, there is cable, internet and phone, all provided by Comcast. I work for them!

There are LOTS of lovely areas in Knoxville in your price range.

This link will give you a great start.

http://public.kaarmls.com/property/s...?AreaID=1&pt=1
Hi Hiknapster,

Yes it's me! Comcast is the best! Forest Heights isn't listed on that search.

We saw a heavily wooded neighborhood of nice homes. Help!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:42 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
Forest Heights is in the Westmoreland/Riverbend sector on the MLS map. It's very nice, very well-kept, quite desirable-- the only negative is that it's in the city, so you'll pay both city and county taxes. You will receive city services, however.

There are a lot of older, wooded neighborhoods in the 37919 zip. That's old West Knoxville, so most of those neighborhoods are established and the lots tend to be larger and more private. The houses, however, are generally smaller (some very small) and not always updated. Some are renovated, some aren't, and the price generally reflects that.

A .75 acre lot is considered large by Knoxville standards, especially closer in. Most newer homes (and many nice older ones) won't have that-- even in the elite neighborhoods-- so you might want to consider .5 acre lots, too. Otherwise, your search will be limited and you might miss some lovely properties.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 PM

Thank you! I don't have anything against half acre properties at all if fences are allowed .

We originally looked at western NC. Spent a lot of money going back and forth there. Beautiful countryside and some of the areas we felt like we were driving in the middle of a postcard, like in Hickory Nut Gorge in Rutherfordton Cnty, Lake Lure to be more precise. Troubles there were an almost total lack of cable internet. The realtors ALL told stories about "we have the dish" and other garbage.

Our business's absolutely depend on our ability to stay connected all the time and have a fast, reliable connection. That's not possible with the dish, and our experience shows us it's not possible with DSL either. That left us with getting a custom T-1 line but we couldn't get a better price on that than 500 bucks a month which is just out of the question. That was 1 major issue in WNC. Finally found a place that indeed claimed to have it ( charter ) and we put in an offer, contingent on high speed cable being installed ( at our cost ) and when working to our satisfaction we would proceed, buy the place and move. Long story short, the realtor from beverly hanks was less than honest and it turned out to be an impossibility to get what we wanted ( charter claimed that the local node would need to be replaced and they no intention of doing that ) The last straw was a number of questionable experiences we had........lots of stares from locals ( I'm a Caucasian Man and my Wife is from Vietnam ). That really was the last straw. My Wife who is pretty tough broke down one night and cried after several experiences back to back in Hendersonville and in the general area of Fairview. So kiss off WNC .

We've pretty much decided to stay in Fla. We own a little house in Port Charlotte which has of course depreciated more than 100K in the last 18 months. We are OK with Port Charlotte....er my Wife is OK with it at least. Great Oriental market in Ft Myers ( Kims on Boy Scout Road ), one new one here in Port Charlotte, a very good sushi/Japanese restarant in Punta Gorda. That's about it for anything near authentic. Publix sells fresh mozzarella which I like. There is no such thing as pizza anywhere here so we make our own. Wife is a near gourmet cook and as long as we have access to a good fish market, butcher, fresh fruits and vegetables we're happy. An Italian Market, Oriental Grocery are all VERY welcome to both of us.

We found something pretty close in Navarre Fla up in the "redneck riviera" ( lol) Great big houses at much less than 100/sq ft on half acres. The area is almost devoid of trees I guess because of ignorant and greedy developers and the hurricanes. But some serious landscaping should eliminate that issue.

Tenn has always been somewhat on the radar screen and my accountant recommended a place called Maryville but based on what I saw on the net, it didn't look like WNC and it also frightened me to think of similar experiences we had in NC so I blew that off too.

Then saw a house in Fine Living in the neighborhood I mentioned where it was described as being in a "progressive" well established area, with hills and heavily wooded.

Heavily wooded turns me on. Wife likes it too but don't like big prices. Quick search on realtor.com showed some nice places but I don't know exactly where to look to find those hilly, heavily wooded neighborhoods/areas, hence the posting of this thread!

I am sorry for writing a book here and hope y'all don't mind. I'm ready to make an offer on a house in the panhandle unless I can obtain substantive information on this area of Tenn that would get us to once again change our focus and go and look.

Thank you very much for your open mind after reading my post here.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 AM

This comes from a student UT website:

# Asian Restaurants

* Asian Chao
7600 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: (865) 769-5656

* Fuji Japanese Grill
10508 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37922
Phone: (865) 690-6163

* Ginja Japanese Restaurant
1612 Downtown West Blvd
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 694-1688

* Hongkong House Chinese & Malaysian Restaurant
8079 Kingston Pike # X
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 670-8819

* House of Dragon Restaurant
1907 Cumberland Ave
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 546-2565

* Kaya Korean Restaurant
7818 Montvue Center Way
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: (865) 691-0237

* King Tut's Grill (Middle Eastern Restaurant)
4132 Martin Mill Pike
Knoxville, TN 37920
Phone: (865) 573-6021

* Korean House
1645 Downtown West Blvd # 37
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: (865) 693-3615

* Miyabi Japanese Steakhouse
8207 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 691-3121

* Sitar Indian Cuisine
6004 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: (865) 588-1828

* Szechuan Garden Chinese Restaurant
4211 Chapman Hwy
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 579-0889

* T Ho Vietnamese & Oriental Restaurant
815 Merchant Dr
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 688-5815

* Tomo Japanese Restaurant
7315 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: (865) 588-1161; (865) 584-0047

* Wasabi Japanese Restaurant
226 Lovell Rd
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: (865) 675-0201

# Asian Grocery Stores

* Apna Bazaar
8078 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 691-8003

* Asian Farmers Market
8027 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 531-6204

* Dae Do
7819 Montvue Center Way
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 539-9700

* Far East Market
9111 Executive Park Dr.
Knoxville, TN
Phone: (865) 694-8317

* Korean Oriental Market
3800 Sutherland Ave
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: (865) 588-9411

http://web.utk.edu/~permias/students.html

Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 AM

http://www.shrimpdock.com/store/comersus_newsPageExec.asp (broken link)

http://www.grassorganic.com/

http://www.laysmarket.com/index2.shtml

http://www.freshmarket.com/index.html

http://www.earthfare.com/

I've read in the Florida forum about how the people were so hurtful in North Carolina. I never said anything, but Knoxville is a city, albeit a more homey city than what you are used to. You should check it out.

For those wondering, I really like MrTudo, because he is a small business owner and an inspiration.

By the way, MrTudo, my husband just started his own business!

I'm running late, so off to work I go!

Last edited by mbmouse; 12-31-2007 at 08:51 AM..

Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Tenn has always been somewhat on the radar screen and my accountant recommended a place called Maryville but based on what I saw on the net, it didn't look like WNC and it also frightened me to think of similar experiences we had in NC so I blew that off too.
Very interesting post. I see why you are one of Hik's favorite posters in the Fla forum.

As to your comment regarding "blowing off" Maryville I cannot let it go without commenting. Maryville is my home. I feel as though Maryville was pre-judged in some way. Maryville is a lovely town at the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. We are not right in the mountains as you will find in WNC; but we see them in the distance with beautiful pastoral land in between. What's nice is we live on flat land, and that makes life easy, but we get the benefit of the mountains as well! The actual mountains are 15 minutes away. As far as "experiences" I assume you are meaning the "looks" that you and your wife got due to her being from Vietnam and you being a Caucasian. You might be interested to know that there is a large manufacturer in Maryville, Denso, that is based in Japan. Many of their executives and management have relocated here from Japan so there is a familiarity here with those that aren't caucasian. I realize Japan isn't Vietnam but just wanted to share. I find that attitude and willingness to acclimate are huge in finding happiness in relocation. I hope Forest Heights works for you and your wife!

By the way, at home I have Charter internet and also a Verizon Wireless Broadband National Access Internet Anywhere card. I can always get online. At home I have two choices and can take my laptop with me anywhere. I have posted on this board while in the car with hubby driving. Perhaps that might be an option for you?

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-27-2007 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: fixing a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville