Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM

36 posts, read 87,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Dayton's claim to fame is the Scopes Monkey Trial that was held there in 1925.
NPR : Timeline: Remembering the Scopes Monkey Trial
I knew that sounded familiar. What's it like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM

11 posts, read 36,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-RetireTN1959 View Post
Chestnut Hill actually was on my short list of towns, but I'm having trouble finding any information outside of C-D. Tried searching for real estate agencies near there...and even trying to find a zip code for it. Mapquest finds it but gives no ZIp code for it. Must be a well kept secret, now I'm really intrigued. Any ideas how I could find some real estate listings for it? Yahoo Maps found three of them in Jefferson County, Benton and Sumner Counties.
Chestnut Hill is on Hwy 411 between Newport and Sevierville with English mountain views. There are some new developements close to that area and
yes, shhhhh. we try to keep this area a secret. lol

Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogmusic8 View Post
You"re dreaming. We"re overpopulated now. Our farms are gone, turned into the same "cookie cutter" subdivisions you"re talking about. Forget about it, especially if you"re just another yankee moving here and trying to tell us we are all backward and you have a better way to tell us how to run our lives and our government. GO HOME!
This is rude. I would rather have a polite, courteous yankee as my neighbor than a rude, arrogant native southerner. Home is where a person hangs their hat; none of us has more rights than any other to a certain location.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:15 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
This is rude. I would rather have a polite, courteous yankee as my neighbor than a rude, arrogant native southerner. Home is where a person hangs their hat; none of us has more rights than any other to a certain location.
Good point. Some people, to be candid, just show judgemental stupidity with some posts.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:21 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Smile You know the adage about the "rotten apple spoiling the whole barrel"? There are not many bad apples!

PreretireTN, I hope you find a lovely spot to hang your hat and not take offense from an individual post. You will, in general, find kind accepting people anywhere in the country, but I think particularly in this part of the country.

It is easy to feel like a welcome neighbor when one moves into a new home state and enjoys being there for the culture, attitudes and traditions of the area. When we adapt ourselves to blend in and enjoy our new home, we can be sure that we will always have friends and neighbors who welcome us.

A few may not demonstrate this kindly good-hearted nature, but I believe you will find that they are in the minority. And, you will find these few attitudes no matter what state you are in. Enjoy Tennessee. I love it.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 01-26-2008 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Will I ever learn to spell? Hmph!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 PM

172 posts, read 476,068 times
Good luck to you. Pre-goodbye-to-all-that-1959. Assuming that's when you arrived on the planet, you and I are on the same page (though I'm on the very bottom, with but a couple of weeks left on the calendar). I also came from elsewhere and lived in Knoxpatch for 7 years. Have been back in NYC for the past 10, so the tranquility takes some remembering! But it takes no effort to recall the mixed aroma of coffee and peanut butter outside the JFG plant in the Old City there.

One thing I'll always think of, as I get a little creaky, is those old-timers who made something of a ritual and almost a contest out of scaling Mt. LeConte in the Smokies. These folks were in their 70s, 80s, and even a few past 90. They was feeksin' to go up that mountain most ever day, as they say. Some of them logged 400-500 climbs! And this was no little hill ... it's about 6,500 feet high, and a 3,000-foot+ ascent from the trailhead, 3 times the height of the Empire State Bldg, which no aging Archie Bunker or Brooke Astor would dream of scaling once. But it kept em goin', if not exactly young. I went up there maybe half a dozen times, but hope to make a few more trips later on. And you don't need to shoulder a pack, neccesarily, or even climb as far as that (one can start higher on the Newfound Gap-Clingmans Dome road), to stay at the lodge up top. When you take your road trip, consider taking in the view from up there LeConte Lodge - Home Page (broken link)

Many a night I spent in a tent in those mountains, sometimes alone, or with a few pals, then hiked out and got to work in Knoxville by afternoon. And I was no real outdoors guy before I went down there. Now I'm looking forward to going back this spring and taking my 4-year-old twins on their first backpack.

Just hope you'll put yourself in a position to take advantage of the mountains, who surely don't care about your age, work history or paint job. The best part of the Smokies, I always thought, was the higher, eastern end, nearer to Cosby. But another wonderful place to get outdoors is in the Slickrock/Citico Creek Wilderness areas just to the south of the park. Tellico Plains is an odd little town down that way ... never hung around it long enough to say whether it's inhabitable for outsiders.

Anyway, I hope you'll find what you seek, even if it's not exactly what you might have thought you were looking for over there.

Last edited by keith talent; 02-02-2008 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 16,591 times
hey check out Johnson city tn its close to everything and the prices are right on land and homes i lived in dc for 10 years i am in asheville now but the cost of living is high

Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 34,876 times
The city of Newport proper is an ok place. Areas around it are not so fancy. Del Rio and Chicken Hollow are the main suppliers of pot for the entire state. Moonshine stills and meth are big too. Stear clear of these areas...the cops do! They'll leave you alone if you leave them alone...don't risk it though! Stick closer to Knoxville. Dandridge is a pleasant place...especially on Douglas Lake when the water's up. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Thanks SmokyMtnGal. I've been in Tennessee for almost a year and it has been a very pleasant experience. There are a lot good people here, there are rude people every where unfortunately that's a sad reality of life....but their life, not mine. Ya know.

I visited Knoxville area this weekend and the people were very nice and friendly, just good people. I hadn't lost my accent yet so people were surprised when I spoke but welcoming. It is beautiful country...peaceful.

I'm not looking for subdivision, just a little bit of land...and peace of mind.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
PreretireTN, I hope you find a lovely spot to hang your hat and not take offense from an individual post. You will, in general, find kind accepting people anywhere in the country, but I think particularly in this part of the country.

It is easy to feel like a welcome neighbor when one moves into a new home state and enjoys being there for the culture, attitudes and traditions of the area. When we adapt ourselves to blend in and enjoy our new home, we can be sure that we will always have friends and neighbors who welcome us.

A few may not demonstrate this kindly good-hearted nature, but I believe you will find that they are in the minority. And, you will find these few attitudes no matter what state you are in. Enjoy Tennessee. I love it.

This so very true,unfortunately. Thank you GemThornton!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville