Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 22,191 times

Advertisements

I didn't know a nicer way to phrase the question and I don't mean to offend anyone. I have heard so much about how big religion is in the Knoxville area and I know how much of a small percentage of that is Jewish. My husband is Jewish (I am not), and I am just wondering how the residents would take to that? Not only to him being Jewish, but to us being in a "mixed marriage." Neither one of us practice our religion regularly.

I just want to make sure it wouldn't be something that we would take flack over or anything like that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber8173 View Post
I didn't know a nicer way to phrase the question and I don't mean to offend anyone. I have heard so much about how big religion is in the Knoxville area and I know how much of a small percentage of that is Jewish. My husband is Jewish (I am not), and I am just wondering how the residents would take to that? Not only to him being Jewish, but to us being in a "mixed marriage." Neither one of us practice our religion regularly.

I just want to make sure it wouldn't be something that we would take flack over or anything like that.

Thanks!
There would be no problem fitting in at all. Our beloved UT Mens Basketball coach Bruce Pearl is Jewish too! I don't think that anyone that matters will give your so-called "mixed marriage" an extra glance. If you're happy, we're happy! Welcome to Tennessee!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
I would be surprised if you had any problems at all. There are several temples in Knoxville and a very active Jewish community. The Hadassah for one of the temples has a big fundraiser every year, or used to, selling corned beef sandwiches at West Town Mall.
Unfortunately, we're lacking in Jewish Delis. The one downtown closed when the owner retired after 60 or so years.
Religious Organizations

Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM

190 posts, read 743,189 times
I too don't think you would have a problem. I know a Jewish couple who have lived here forever and I don't think they've had any problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Now, if you tell us that one of you are a VOL fan (of course!) and the other a Gator fan, thus a "mixed marriage" then that might present a problem!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Now, if you tell us that one of you are a VOL fan (of course!) and the other a Gator fan, thus a "mixed marriage" then that might present a problem!
LOL...actually, my husband was born and raised in CT but he detests the UConn Women's Basketball team and loves the Lady Vols! He is a sports writer and actually did a story on the rivalry a while back and spoke to Pat Summitt, he really liked her a lot. On the other hand, I used to work for a non-profit company that dealt with Geno and the reviews of him are not as kind!

I love college basketball, haven't watched the women's side of it much, but enough to know that I did not like the Lady Huskies either....so my fanship is up for grabs!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I would be surprised if you had any problems at all. There are several temples in Knoxville and a very active Jewish community. The Hadassah for one of the temples has a big fundraiser every year, or used to, selling corned beef sandwiches at West Town Mall.
Unfortunately, we're lacking in Jewish Delis. The one downtown closed when the owner retired after 60 or so years.
Religious Organizations

Thanks! That is no problem at all, we do not like kosher food, so we wouldn't be seeking it out! But we do want our son to have the opportunity to know both of our religions, so it's nice to know that he would have the opportunity there.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM

36 posts, read 99,446 times
A Jew unhappy in Vol land? Say it ain't so! While I personally advocate (and look forward to) a real life Larry David situation, I can say without reservation that when the topic of religion comes up, you should refuse to enter any discussion whatsoever with the local Baptist contingent.

I'm only a Catholic and judging by some of the things I've heard, I would say a member of the organization that "killed my Lord and savior" wouldn't fare well when the topic arose....... unless you're a coach in the beloved Vol organization

Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Hmm, I dunno, I disagree, sort of. I mean, sure, there are a small number of amazingly intense hardcore fundamentalist Baptists here in east TN, but even in smaller cities like JC, being Jewish (religious) wouldn't be a problem, even talking about it. Being culturally Jewish is a non-issue at this point.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hmm, I dunno, I disagree, sort of. I mean, sure, there are a small number of amazingly intense hardcore fundamentalist Baptists here in east TN, but even in smaller cities like JC, being Jewish (religious) wouldn't be a problem, even talking about it. Being culturally Jewish is a non-issue at this point.
I agree. I work and interact daily with hundreds of people. Many of them Jewish, many not. It is a non issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville