Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,176 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to TN from AK in four years. I have been using this site for several years now and am still clueless of where we should settle in or around Knoxville. So, I am posting my own thread and hope that helps.

I am looking for a clerical/administrative/patient services position in the medical field for employment. My child will be 18 then and will be looking for college and first job. I will need to find an apartment close to my job for the first year. At least two bedrooms in a quiet decent apartment about 800 plus sq feet. I expect to pay around $600-800 a month for this.

I will also need to find a reputable car dealership with used cars immediately upon arrival. Any suggestions?

After a year, we would like to move within 30-45 min outside Knoxville if it is too big of a city for us. We are spoiled with no traffic to mention here. We like privacy, trees, land, and aren't too picky. The thought of a gated driveway sounds wonderful. Would be highly interested in a 3 br ranch house to rent or, if the job works out to purchase. The only requirement we have is a grocery store and Walmart within 30-45 min away. We are self-sufficient and can entertain ourselves.

We would appreciate any help anyone can give us with this. It is a big move for us and I believe in doing research. I know the first step would be a job, craigslist had 2.5 pages of new jobs the other day in the biggest town around here Anchorage, Alaska. The same day Knoxville had 6 pages. Kind of amazing! Thank you so much, we've been dreaming of Tn for years and counting down the months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 06:34 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Four years is a long time as far as jobs and apartments go. Apartments that are good now, could change in four years, or get better.
I think you will find Knoxville a nice size city. I moved from the Los Angles area, so traffic here has never been an issue for me. I find it funny when people complain about it.
That said, if someone is coming from a town of 5,000, then Knoxville is going to seem huge and crowded.

There are several Walmarts in Knoxville, so it would be pretty difficult to be more than 45 minutes away.

Its probably going to be difficult to get a job long distance.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:30 PM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
Four years is a long time. Why the wait? I don't think you will have problems finding an apartment but who knows if the rents will be what you are currently looking for. As for car dealerships, there are several. Whether or not they'll still be managed properly, who knows what it will look like in four years?

Anyway, unless you have a very high demand skill set, finding a job remotely here will be difficult. While my skills were in high demand and a lot of recruiters from agencies and companies called me a lot, only four would enter a phone/facetime interview and two of those still requested an in person interview once I arrived in town. I did end up getting several offers after I arrived in town so jobs are here.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,176 times
Thanks for all your help! Yes, I kind of thought we would just have to show up and find a job once there. Stressful. But, I came to Alaska with nothing but a $20 in my pocket, but had family here then. If you can make it here you probably can make it anywhere.
Wondering where we live in the meantime once there, I wonder if apartments would take us with no job, but we paid six months in advance? Never heard of it before, but never been in this position before either.
Waiting four years for youngest to graduate. I grew up military and don't want to move my shy child anymore than necessary as I had to do often.
Thanks again!!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I'm in Alaska now so could possibly make some relational comparisons between Knoxville towns and Alaska towns culture-wise and amenity-wise. Sounds like you might want to think through what type of living you want in Knoxville. Could range from fairly urban neighborhood to way out in the sticks on the side of a big hill.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
In your situation a landlord might consider looking at a healthy savings account and evidence of job skills that could be in demand in Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: