Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:53 PM

8 posts, read 11,298 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are preparing for the 'next chapter' of our life now that our kids are grown and gone, and I am retiring this December. We currently live in SW Florida, but have finally had enough of the year-round heat! We are looking to relocate somewhere near Knoxville at this time, but open to suggestions!!

Things of importance will include finding work for my wife. She's an outstanding and highly recommended Physical therapist, here. Her employers are really doing all they can to talk her (us) out of moving from here, but our research has shown that there are many possibilities for her in our target area. I am retiring from law enforcement after 20+ years of service, so my income will be modest, yet secure. I may consider a return to part time work, but would like to take a year off so I can readjust and acclimate to a more normal/less stressful lifestyle. "Deprogram", as my wife calls it! I presently work for the Port Authority police department in our area, so work in the airport (TYS) is a likely option when that time comes (non-law enforcement ).

Anyway, we are in our late 40s/early 50s, but still fairly active and love the outdoor activities. My wife is an avid rower/sculler, and we love kayaking and hiking. She wants to be close to water, but its not a necessity. She would like to join a local rowing club if one existed.

As for a place to call 'home', we are unsure of what our actual budget will allow us, but assume somewhere in the $200k range. We will have to sell our home, here to free up more possibilities. We have gone back and forth over the idea of buying land or buying an existing home. Like most, we'd love to have some acreage, upwards of 5 acres, but really we want enough land to allow us some space and breathing room. We feel the rent-first idea will likely not work for us, however, as we have 3 dogs. One of which is my retired K9, and the other 2 are older rescues from homes they were left abandoned to die. Can't seem to find places where renting to dog owners is a possibility.

So. With this info in mind, we would be interested to hear what the consensus is regarding towns to look in. Also, and almost forgot, reasonable distances to local shopping and restaurants would be nice as well. Don't really want to be so far removed from civilization that simple grocery shopping is an hour-plus drive away. -TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:53 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
It's pretty easy to get near water within your budget, but probably not ON the water. I live in Karns and can get to water in 10 minutes.
I hear a lot of people say they want acreage, but honestly I wish I had less to take care off. I have less than an acre, and the upkeep is getting to be more than I really want. But, to each their own.
I would suggest you plan a trip and spend a week in Knoxville. Drive all over the place, talk to people, and get a feel for the area, and what seems like a good fit for you. You may want to contact a Realtor and see what is available in your price range.
We did that in 1994, and it really worked for us.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:29 PM

363 posts, read 482,462 times
OMG... if she is a PT, she shouldn't have a problem at all finding a job. I used to work with a company that focuses on PT work and we couldn't hire fast enough and keep them long enough, so much demand!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
OMG... if she is a PT, she shouldn't have a problem at all finding a job. I used to work with a company that focuses on PT work and we couldn't hire fast enough and keep them long enough, so much demand!
This is great to hear. She has already started the TN state licensing process, and will sub her paperwork in late November. She is currently in home health, but she will likely seek clinical to get medical benefits for us. Kinda depends upon which would afford her full time. Unfortunately, my pension has no such provision. Would you be willing to provide the company name you mentioned? It would be nice to have a starting point. I appreciate the optimism, nevertheless!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
It's pretty easy to get near water within your budget, but probably not ON the water. I live in Karns and can get to water in 10 minutes.
I hear a lot of people say they want acreage, but honestly I wish I had less to take care off. I have less than an acre, and the upkeep is getting to be more than I really want. But, to each their own.
I would suggest you plan a trip and spend a week in Knoxville. Drive all over the place, talk to people, and get a feel for the area, and what seems like a good fit for you. You may want to contact a Realtor and see what is available in your price range.
We did that in 1994, and it really worked for us.
I have honestly no knowledge of Karns, but will look into it after I post. I like your suggestion to come up and spend a week. I have a friend who is getting married in a month, and he's doing so in Sevierville. We are hoping to get that opportunity, then. As for living on the water, been there, doing that now. My home is waterfront, and its quite over rated. Its just too hot to get use of it unless you get up at 6am to get started. Only plus for me is the baby alligators that linger on the bank in my back yard.

As for acreage, I have little expectations. I'd like to have the space to let my dogs run, and maybe get a couple goats, lol. Big thing for me is the privacy/space. Here, a standard lot is 1/4 acre (10,000 sq ft). Homes have a tendency to get built close to one another. We like to socialize, but when home we like it quiet and private. You make a valid point regarding the maintenance of a large property. I presently have the best situation by having no neighbors on either side of my house. I cleared those lots and maintain them as if they were my own, which translates to around 3/4 acre. Its decent, but its an all-day event for me to cut my grass. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:53 AM

What's the typical commute time from Karns to McGhee Tyson airport in Knoxville? Any real travel issues throughout the year from Karns to the airport? We have family all over the country, and this would likely be a common trip for us.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM

284 posts, read 362,472 times
For those of you familiar with the area, what about Lenoir City? It seems to be growing including medical and is so close to Ft. Loudon and Tellico Lakes. It's right off 2 interstates and reasonably close to the Turkey Creek area and the airport. Could that be a good choice?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:13 PM

My wife came home from work today and she told me about one of her patients that used to live 'somewhere near Seymour'. Apparently her health forced a move to FL about 10 years ago due to family living here, but she spoke of how nice it was there, suggesting it as an option to my wife. Anyone willing to chime in regarding their knowledge and experiences with this area? Again, focus is on what areas are best suited to our wants: privacy but close to shopping/restaurants, close to water, housing budget of around $200k, commute to/from McGhee Tyson Airport and Knoxville in general. We may be making a trip in 2 weeks to the area, but will only have 3 days. Hoping to narrow our focus a bit to get in as much as we can. Thanks all!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:16 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Karns is kind of north west part of Knoxville. Hwy 62 (Western Ave/Oak Ridge hwy) runs east west into downtown, and hwy 162 (Pellissippi Parkway) runs north south (kind of) into Oak Ridge (10 minutes away for me) all the way to the airport (about 20 - 25 minutes). Since I drive to a different location every day, its a great location for me.
Seymour is a nice area for your property needs, but not exactly near water.
Lenoir City is not a bad choice either.
A lot would depend on where the work was. If the job was in West Knoxville, the commute from Seymour would get old pretty fast. Same thing if the work was on the East side, driving from Lenoir City would not be fun.

Even if you only have 3 days, you can get a really good idea what the Knoxville area is like by just driving around. It would be great if you have someone to guide you to different areas.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:46 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
If you are working at the airport the Louisville area of Blount county is a good option. That's the south side of Ft Loudon lake. There is plenty of shopping in Maryville or you can take I-140 to Turkey Creek for more varied shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville