Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 702 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband should be getting a job offer soon in Knoxville. We will be moving from the Dallas ft worth area. I have found tons of helpful info on the area.
I've visited quite a bit, but it's been awhile. We are planning a trip once he officially receives the offer.

We have 3 small children and I'm very into natural living. We use dye free products, no harsh cleaners, Etc.
Our home now was built in the 30s and i about had a nervous breakdown when I researched the possibility of lead paint. We used paint sealers etc to encapsulate the lead. Over the 4 years here I have relaxed on that worry a bit.

Now ... My main 2 concerns are power lines it seems everywhere. And radon.

I know power lines are a must to have electricity but a home I'm interested in backs up to a large wooden pole line. The lines are in the backyard of the homes at the end of the culdesac and the house I want is right before the cul de sac begins. I'll attach a picture of the lines. Any one familiar with these? Are they high voltage/high tension? When I follow them it seems they run for miles and miles. But they aren't on the silver towers.

Radon. What do you locals do? Will people think we are crazy for requesting the test? Is it most likely in all homes??

Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Power line question. Relocating to Powell area-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 AM

320 posts, read 541,190 times
Not sure about the power lines, but you can request a free radon test here.

https://tdec.tn.gov/radon_online/frmRADON_Online.aspx

Old 02-11-2016, 09:14 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Those look to be the supply lines for the neighborhood which will also carry lines for cable and phone. High tension lines are typically on large metal pylons.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM

257 posts, read 489,695 times
It is fairly easy to test for radon when you have a home inspection. If levels are over recommended levels, it is easily remediated for under $3,000. I don't consider it a deal breaker.

I would only be concerned if you have high voltage power lines near the house or yards. Overhead lines for residential electric service should be fine.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:54 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Yes radon is a issue in this part of Tennessee. In fact, for new construction in Knox County, they are required to install a "rough in" for a radon mitigation system.
That said. it is a very easy "fix", and once the mitigation system is installed, you should have no worries of elevated levels.
As a home inspector, I test for radon in probably 30% of the homes I inspect. There are some areas that are very likely to have elevated levels, some have little to no radon.
The free test kits are OK for a screening, but to get a better result, you really should have a professional test. The difference between the equipment I use (and most home inspectors), and the free test kit is like the difference between a photo snapshot, and a HD movie. The free kits or canisters will give you a final result number only. An electronic continuous monitor gives you hourly readings, as well as tell you if the monitor has been moved (tampered with), or had a power loss.
Of course, there is a fairly large difference between FREE and what home inspectors charge.
To give you an idea, I charge $150 if I do it with a home inspections, and $175 by itself. Other home inspectors may charge less, or more.

Hope this clears up the radon issue.

The pole you showed, does not appear to be high tension power lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville