Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 PM

15 posts, read 16,040 times

Advertisements

We are a self employed house cleaning husband and wife from IL. Been cleaning homes for over 25 yrs. Since we are settling into semi retirement and love our vacation time in the Smokies, we are considering moving out there, buying a manufactured home on a 1/2 to an acre or so and picking up a couple rental cabins to clean for a little extra income. Looking at Dandridge area so far. Is this a good area or are there other areas near by that we should consider? Also wonder how it works during bad winter weather to get up to cabins to get a job done! One more question is, about how much can we charge for cleaning a cabin$ I'm guessing $100-$125 for 2-3 bdrm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts | Reservations, Deals, Room Rates & Rewards

http://jobs.wyndhamworldwide.com/

I have noticed many of the locations have less physical jobs filled by what looks like retirees. There are at least two Wyndham resorts in the area you are looking in.

http://jobs.wyndhamworldwide.com/job...ssee-1515833-0

Last edited by NCN; 02-10-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Hoping to stay self employed if we continue cleaning. but thanks for the link as it might come in handy.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 AM

24 posts, read 58,137 times
During bad weather (snow, ice) everything stops - if you value your automobile/life. The terrain here in Sevierville is hilly. The main thoroughfare, Hwy 66, is often passable, but to get to Hwy 66 you must take "side" roads from your house. Those side-roads are usually two-lane, steep shoulders. Only good ol' boys with jeeps or 4 wd travel, and usually for fun, not safety-conscious. Side roads are seldom salted or plowed. So, the general recommendation from authorities is, "stay home if you can". Most everyone stays home, and makes arrangements to get the job done when weather clears up. Venturing out is risky to vehicles & life.

Dandridge is not accessible in bad weather (only small rural 2-lane roads to Sevierville or interstate), but there are plenty of places in Sevierville that are what it sounds like you're looking for.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetinIL View Post
We are a self employed house cleaning husband and wife from IL. Been cleaning homes for over 25 yrs. Since we are settling into semi retirement and love our vacation time in the Smokies, we are considering moving out there, buying a manufactured home on a 1/2 to an acre or so and picking up a couple rental cabins to clean for a little extra income. Looking at Dandridge area so far. Is this a good area or are there other areas near by that we should consider? Also wonder how it works during bad winter weather to get up to cabins to get a job done! One more question is, about how much can we charge for cleaning a cabin$ I'm guessing $100-$125 for 2-3 bdrm.
Look towards Maryville, Seymour or So Knoxville. easy access to Sevierville without the traffic issues and there should be plenty of work as I have friends doing it and having no trouble finding work.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM

Thinking I might like apply for pt work at Dollywood too. Anyone know what its like working there? wages/seasonal? Is it true that there are plenty of part time jobs available as that way employers would'nt need to cover your insurance? How about the shops along the strip in Gatlinburg? Are they open year around, maybe with fewer hrs?

Old 02-13-2016, 03:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetinIL View Post
Thinking I might like apply for pt work at Dollywood too. Anyone know what its like working there? wages/seasonal? Is it true that there are plenty of part time jobs available as that way employers would'nt need to cover your insurance? How about the shops along the strip in Gatlinburg? Are they open year around, maybe with fewer hrs?
Friends working at Dollywood and enjoying it, but part time. Pay seems to be OK. Gatlinburg has a lot of shops, as does Pigeonforge, but most of the year the traffic is horrible.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM

How bout consignment shops? I frequent them here in IL for furnishing our home and buying lightly used clothing. Also I love to sew and bake. Last yr. we came across an area with a ton of little craft shops, maybe just outside Sevierville. We were out looking for a cool covered bridge we saw once and it was getting late so we didn't stop. But thinking i might like to get hooked up with them also. There were signs posted everywhere around there advertising the area as a craft community. Anyone know this area/ do business with them?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:21 PM

What can u tell me about Strawberry Plains and New Market? Like how far to hospital, shopping and even good hotels. We are liking a few double wide manufactured homes in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville