Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 01:21 PM

147 posts, read 215,594 times

Advertisements

My husband and I lived in Sevierville TN for almost a year about five years ago and have wanted to move back ever since we had to leave. I am so jealous of all the folks moving there! I keep searching for decent paying jobs down that way with benefits but so far have found nothing for someone like me with no degree.
Currently we are living in ME and making decent money with great benefits but what I wouldn't give to be back in the mountains or near them.
Maybe I will find a job there that pays $17 an hour with benefits but somehow I doubt it. I did notice it was way different when we took our vacation and stayed in Gatlinburg instead of Sevierville. It seemed to take lots longer to drive anywhere than I remembered. If we ever do move back we will not look to live near Gatlinburg but closer to Knoxville instead. Have a great day all and be happy to live in a beautiful and friendly place!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
What kind of work experience do you both have?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:53 AM

I have always worked retail until the past two years. Now I take care of laboratory mice used for medical research. I have taken a college level Genetics class and am learning more all the time. I love my job but that is really the only thing holding us here.
My hubby is a contractor and can work anywhere. He has tons of painting and drywall experience and is going some more carpentry experience now.
The benefits at my job are very good so we haven't been able to leave but I hate being stuck way up in Maine and didn't want my daughter to feel the same way when she is older. Our state is a very old state with most young people leaving to make lives elsewhere.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:24 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I would try looking in Knoxville proper. Other than tourist related work, not much in Sevierville.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:33 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
You might want to try Nashville and Knoxville. Both are close enough for day drives, obviously Nashville is a lot more miles in distance but still you can take weekend trips to East TN every weekend if you wanted to. I miss TN as well, I love that state, its my adopted home state, I love TN people they are very kind and welcoming people indeed.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:18 PM

377 posts, read 470,393 times
KellySou, If you're open to some training look into medical coding. For around $1200-1500 you can take a 3 month class and when you complete it, the money is pretty good and you can work from anywhere. If you weren't scared by the genetics class, coding may be a breeze for you.

Just a thought.
Kathi

Old 09-12-2016, 07:50 PM

363 posts, read 482,462 times
I believe we have some research facilities in the Oak Ridge area that may be looking for people familiar with lab work.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:01 AM

Thank you for the ideas. I have given some thought to Oak Ridge before. I was thinking they were more technology focused there and my current job is more medical research focused. I have a few more certifications to get and then more options will be open in Veterinary positions as well. I may give medical coding some serious thought as well. Thanks again. I loved TN when we were there but we lacked the focus and experience to make it work for ua. Now we have a better understanding of what it takes to truly live somewhere and contribute rather than just eek out an existence.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:35 PM

363 posts, read 482,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySou View Post
Thank you for the ideas. I have given some thought to Oak Ridge before. I was thinking they were more technology focused there and my current job is more medical research focused. I have a few more certifications to get and then more options will be open in Veterinary positions as well. I may give medical coding some serious thought as well. Thanks again. I loved TN when we were there but we lacked the focus and experience to make it work for ua. Now we have a better understanding of what it takes to truly live somewhere and contribute rather than just eek out an existence.

Well, we do have one of the best Vet schools (ranked 21st according to US News) and there is the Johnson Animal Research Institute, the East Tennessee Research and Education Center, Radio Systems Corporation, the Knoxville Zoo and the dozen or so animal clinics in the area. I hope you find what you are looking for! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville