Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdic View Post
hey , sun just broke through some .. i am getting the hell out here. its 1pm , we might squeek a half day of partly cloudy out yet.. wow..! yeppee i might have to hit the course.. but i am so tired because i have been sleeping so bad because i have no sun... i think i have to force my self to take soem sun. even if tired exhausted
Good for you! I hope you enjoy it and feel better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 AM

16 posts, read 26,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Does your lot have a lot of trees on it? I've lived in two places in Knoxville. The first one had trees, but all at a distance. The second one, the one I now live on, has 24 trees on it. Most of them are very, very large. I have a lot of moss. And it is like that drought or rain. It is just the trees.

I don't have any algae, though. Do you mean moss?

there is lots of moss in the lawn and on some ornamental rocks i have.. but no, i mean algea. like the stuff you have in pond or pool if you dont chlorinate. though i guess u will still get that in sun light but it has to remain wet for that..

and yes i have trees on one side.. the south side.. sucks.. but they have no leaves at this time so from fall till about last week of april i get good sun.. if it were there. early summmer i dont get much sun because of the trees but once the sun is high enough .. again i get it if its there .. and then again in the fall i dont get it when it gets low again till leaves fall. so yes i get pretty good shade for about 2-mos of th year -- but i have this problem all the time.. even on the sunniest part of my yard whcih is the back deck though not as much mold/agea/moss or what ever. i have black, green and even red...i use bleach even to keep things under control.. and we have association that blows all the leaves every week so they are not lingering on the ground

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Do you have some standing water in your yard? Mine is on top of a hill and it is nicely sloped so I don't have that problem.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
Quote:
hey , sun just broke through some .. i am getting the hell out here. its 1pm , we might squeek a half day of partly cloudy out yet.. wow..! yeppee i might have to hit the course.. but i am so tired because i have been sleeping so bad because i have no sun... i think i have to force my self to take soem sun. even if tired exhausted
Wow, I'm glad you know more than the 50 year averages! To think I was looking at "data" and stuff when I could just have been asking you!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Over a 53-year period through 2008, Knoxville averaged 97 clear days, 107 partly cloudy days, and 162 cloudy days a year. On an annual basis, Knoxville receives 56% of total possible sunshine.

For the period 1971-2000, Knoxville averaged 48.2" of precipitation a year, which was less than what Daytona Beach, Fort Myers, Orlando, Miami, Pensacola, and Tallahassee received. During that same period, Knoxville averaged 127 days annually with at least 0.01" of precipitation.

I question the fact that Oak Ridge reports 109 sunny days and Knoxville reports 97. Considering that we receive less rain than Nashville(102) and Chattanooga (104), I tend to lean more towards the Oak Ridge number. And yes, Knoxville had more sunny days than Houston, Texas.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM

117 posts, read 366,817 times
Y'all don't know from rain. I grew up in Knoxville but have lived most of my life in sunny So Cal, except for 3 MISERABLE years spent in Portland, Oregon. We moved back to So Cal because we couldn't take 9 months of the year in black clouds dropping water day in and day out, read again, day in and day out! We lived in rain hell - Knoxville is assuredly not that!

Living in Cali, I miss the spring thunderstorms of my youth (we don't have them here except in the desert.) The clouds don't tune up and cry on a warm summers day to bring a respite from the heat like back home. I miss a vibrantly colored fall Knoxville evening while warming by the fire and reading a good book to the tinkling of droplets of rain outside. In East Tennessee, it didn't rain too little, and it didn't rain too much. It rained just enough to keep us from having weather boredom and support that beauty Tennessee is known for. We are known as "the greenest state in the land of the free," without having to go through miserable and protracted Portland/Seattle days of rain torture.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 15,743 times
Quote:

I don't know where you're coming from but you are not portraying Knoxville accurately... seems like you're a glass half empty (or all the way empty) kind of guy. Yes, this winter was unusually snowy/rainy/cloudy, but that is not the norm. We have just had almost an entire month of sun and warm weather and it's only the middle of April!!! Heck, there's only one day with rain forecasted in almost 2 weeks.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM

16 posts, read 26,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Do you have some standing water in your yard? Mine is on top of a hill and it is nicely sloped so I don't have that problem.

i am on a very steep grade all pitches to one side = no standing water problems at all but - all wet always and never drys unless we get a full day of sun - which is almost never till the ultra hot unbareable summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville