Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,322 times

Advertisements

My parents are still both living but getting elderly. My sister and I wanted them to get closer to one of us, it didn't matter which one as long as one of us got them close. Our parents had Quitclaimed their house to us about 10 years ago to protect the home from any medical issues that might arise where the state could come after the house. My parents house sold this past summer and my sister and I were advised, by attorneys, to have both our names as well as my parents on the sales contract. Out attorney also gave us a Actuary table and advised us to report the proceeds of the sale per the "Lifetime Estate" values based on my parents age. The actual NET proceeds from the sale of the house were almost exactly the same as the basis my parents had in the property. By advice of attorney, we turned those proceeds into the purchase of another property for them in mine and my sister's name with a "Lifetime Estate" for our parents. They are now living in the house independently of me or my sister. Now my sister and I have received a 1099-S for the split of the proceeds on the sale of the house. Since we turned around and purchased another house with the proceeds PLUS another significant investment should there be any tax issues on the sale of the original house? How should this be handled on our income tax forms.

The reason we handled it this way, as advised by attorneys, was to prevent any 5 year look back period from the state should medical issues arise. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM

363 posts, read 481,915 times
I would talk to a tax advisor.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You should be talking to your attorney, and not taking advice from an internet forum.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:56 PM

11 posts, read 23,586 times
CPA better safe than sorry.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,322 times
This is a very unusual situation and I have talked to 2 different CPA's with differing opinions. Much like the 4 different attorneys we talked to before selling the property.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:31 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You could keep trying CPA's and attorneys until you get the answer you are looking for. Or, listen to one of the attorneys that has already giving you advice on this matter.
Asking an online forum for legal and tax advice is just not a very good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville