Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:28 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkspangl View Post
Hey All,

Thanks for the replies. My family and I have been researching and looking at the Knoxville area for sometime now. I also have family that lives in the Kingston area and they just love it there. They are the reason we started looking at this area. Based on all the research I have done the Knoxville area seems to be a more favorable place for us for many reasons. Yes the cost of housing is less and there is no state income tax, but I know that is balanced out by the higher sales tax. But it is more than just the cost of a house for us. It is also about a lifestyle and living environment that we know we just are not going to get out here in Phoenix. As for my job search. I have been given a job offer from Siemens Medical Solutions USA Group that is within my salary requirements at $50,000/year. We have not yet decided wether we are going to accept the offer, but we are leaning towards accepting it. If we do accept it my wife will then be looking for teaching jobs in the area teaching K-3rd grade. So any input on teaching jobs will be greatly appreciated. Our preference for a location to live is Maryville/Alcoa area and then probably the Oak Ridge area next.

Thank You

Kevin
Don't know anything about teacher jobs or if this is a good time to look for one but the searchable state database for public school teaching jobs is here:

https://www.k-12.state.tn.us/teachingjobs/search.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:24 PM

25 posts, read 58,246 times
Hi All,

First I want to thank LauraC for the schools link, my wife has gone ahead and put in her application and started the job search process. Now it is time for us to really decide on a place to move to and settle in. Our most likely choices are still Maryville/Alcoa, then Oak Ridge, Karnes, Clinton. I have read a lot of the forums posted and I really here good things for the most part about Maryville/Alcoa. I am sure this area would be a good fit for us. But I was looking for more input on the other areas. We are not sure yet where we are going to be able to find a house we can get into within our price range. Our price range based on what we know so far is up to $150,000 with a $1000-$11000/month mortgage payment. We have found houses in this price range in all the areas I listed above. So I am looking for feedback on all these areas around schools, lifestyle, attitudes, safety, crime rates etc.

Thanks

KKSPANGL

Well we have actually found a house that we are very interested in, but it is not in the areas we had really been researching. So I am asking all ya on the forum to provide any info in regards to schools, crime, lifestyle, acceptance of transplants etc. for the following Knoxville zipe code: 37918.

Thanks

kkspangl

Last edited by mbmouse; 03-20-2008 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
That's Fountain City. It's mostly older homes. It has a lot of traffic going through the main drag, which is Broadway, but has a very nice park.

It's not for everyone, but I like it.

However, if you are going to be working in the Oak Ridge area, that would be quite a drive. In your case, I would look in Clinton. I like Clinton, but it's too far from our jobs!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,142,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkspangl View Post
Well we have actually found a house that we are very interested in, but it is not in the areas we had really been researching. So I am asking all ya on the forum to provide any info in regards to schools, crime, lifestyle, acceptance of transplants etc. for the following Knoxville zipe code: 37918.

Thanks

kkspangl
I suggest you rent for a year to learn the area. It is large, and until you understand the commuting and shopping patterns that suit your workplaces and lifestyle, it is easy to pick the wrong area.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,461 times
Default Delurking ...

... to toss out a couple links/DBs.

(I'm in a similar boat as KKSPANGL ... but I work on this here interbunny thingie, and some friends pointed me to a few rabbits tucked in hats.)

Tennessee has a decent searchable DB on school enrollments, test scores, etc. Full caveat: No Child Left Behind is mush, and succeeding only in teaching our children how to take tests, etc., etc. But the data on enrollments, class sizes and demographics is always useful:

https://edu.warehouse.state.tn.us/pl...4020709689::NO

Dunno about other districts, but Knox County also has very good data on its site about school enrollment zones, etc.:

(Punch in an address; the school stack will show): KGIS School Zone Search School Zone Search

And while I'm at it: Major kudos to Laura for a clear, rational and spot-on description of the differences between median and average ;-).

-tgd

Last edited by Beretta; 03-25-2008 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: fixing links

Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 AM

25 posts, read 58,246 times
Smile Knoxville Relocation

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I will be hitting the road to Knoxville this coming Thursday the 10th. I am very excited and at the same time nervous to finally be making this a reality. I am going to be staying with my sister and her family just outside Kingston for now and relocating my family in July. I really want to thank all of you for your info and help to this point, and once I get there I will getting back on the forum with ya all again.

Thanks

kkspangl

Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 PM

43 posts, read 142,536 times
Default kk on the way

Good luck, i envy you !!!!

please do come back and tell us all how you like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville