Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 03:56 PM

96 posts, read 134,996 times

Advertisements

In doing my continued research for a possible relocation I've been concerned about the weather: too hot and we may as well stay here in Jax; too cold and it would be like going back to CT.

Now, I'm sure more seasoned members of this forum already know about the following site but for us relative newbies it may be helpful in not only seeing live-time weather but in also seeing actual past weather for an area. Temps at various times of day, wind, even humidity at different times of day are easily found.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/knoxville
You can easily switch locations for your current or past residences. I've heard a lot about humidity in Knoxville and other places being a factor. But, coming from coastal CT. the heat and humidity in Knoxville should not be a factor and the cold temps do not seem as intense or long lasting as in CT. Hope this site helps others. Remember, though, as is often said: visit the place before you commit.

We'll be in Knoxville and Dandridge later this week and then over to Hendersonville for a quick peek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 05:50 PM

363 posts, read 482,110 times
I wouldn't say it's Jacksonville humid (my ex- FIL lives there, love him but OMG, that humidity had me hating life).

Right now, it's freaking cold. Like teens cold. BUT it was also sunny here for a little here . And it didn't snow. It could be worse. After all the stories about the hail storm of 2009, snow doesn't seem to concern me very much.

As a Southern California brat, Knox is pretty nice.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:20 PM

It's interesting that no matter where one lives there is always some month or season that is not "optimum". CT, along the coast where I lived until 3+years ago, had really humid August and part of September along with upper 80's - to mid 90's temps every day. But it cooled after mid Sept. Winters lasted from late Nov. until mid March or so. Some years only a bit of snow, some quite a bit.

Knoxville weather seems very tolerable (in research at least) for much of the time - warm to hot summers that cool a bit at night and last what, 2 months or so? It's the hot, humid temps here in Jax that last from April to at least November that are difficult for us to adapt to. Christmas week went back into the 80's for a couple of days!

Looking forward to our exploration of Knox and surrounding area.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:10 AM

196 posts, read 259,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCTFL View Post
It's interesting that no matter where one lives there is always some month or season that is not "optimum". CT, along the coast where I lived until 3+years ago, had really humid August and part of September along with upper 80's - to mid 90's temps every day. But it cooled after mid Sept. Winters lasted from late Nov. until mid March or so. Some years only a bit of snow, some quite a bit.

Knoxville weather seems very tolerable (in research at least) for much of the time - warm to hot summers that cool a bit at night and last what, 2 months or so? It's the hot, humid temps here in Jax that last from April to at least November that are difficult for us to adapt to. Christmas week went back into the 80's for a couple of days!

Looking forward to our exploration of Knox and surrounding area.

Weather here is amazing. Not too hot, not too humid, not cold.
This week has been chilly to me lol really cold for me is single digits and freezing is below 0.
I found there were only a couple days over the summer that it was too humid and hot to go outside.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
This week has been chilly to me lol really cold for me is single digits
Thanks, NYS2Tennessee! Looks like you might be gettin' some "really cold" weather...Just in time for us to drive up there from balmy 28 degree Jax!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,535 times
BFCTFL, I'm looking forward to reading your report on Knoxville.

I can take the heat and humidity but the cold just about kills me. I've been looking at the temperatures in Knoxville and reaching deep into my soul to see if I could really handle the winters.... not that where I am right now is much better.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:30 AM

196 posts, read 259,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
BFCTFL, I'm looking forward to reading your report on Knoxville.

I can take the heat and humidity but the cold just about kills me. I've been looking at the temperatures in Knoxville and reaching deep into my soul to see if I could really handle the winters.... not that where I am right now is much better.
This winter is already significantly colder than the 2 before in. Teens and 20's aren't standard here.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:05 PM

Well, at least it kills the bugs!

Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Last night, a meteorologist on the local news said that these temps are at least 20 degrees below normal for here. My little cousins in Cape Coral, FL are all bundled up in sweaters jackets and hats, poor sweet things!

It's all relative. When I lived in Florida, I got used to the heat. Then, when it got down to 60 degrees, I felt like I was going to die! I can remember walking across a parking lot and shivering and it was in the 60s.

Frankly, it's getting up to 27 degrees today (normal high is 47, look it up) and I will feel less cold than when it was 60 degrees in Fort Myers, FL. Tonight, it's going to get down to 37 degrees in Fort Myers. That would have about killed me when I lived down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville