Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:11 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,575 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'd like know if I am on the right track to fitting in in Knoxville because I've noticed somethings that are making we worry a little. I'm hoping that I misread my boss today at work because when I went over everything I did today while he was out, I felt like I irritated him. I don't know if he was surprised that I got everything done or maybe I came off a little too high strung for him. I'm hoping he was just surprised. I thought I made it clear at my interview that I am very ambitious and I'm a go-getter. I told him my goals and he assured me that I could reach them at this firm. He gave me the impression that he wanted someone like me working for him. So far, people have been friendly to me but somewhat distant and there are a few that are exceptionally friendly. I have also noticed some people kind of giving me a wary eye like I'm from another planet and up to no good. I knew going in that I would have to tone myself down and be low-key to acclimate. I'm about as toned down as I can get. I don't try to out perform or show off at work but I know my job and I'm a "git-r-done" kinda girl. I really like to work and I enjoy what I do. But it is also important to me to develop good working relationships and make friends. I am trying to be balanced and I am trying to be aware of how people are perceiving me. So am I on the right track and this initial awkwardness will go away or is there something more I should know? I don't want to alienate myself from people and luckily at work, what do really doesn't impact many other people. So I'm not really a threat to many. Am I worrying too soon?

Thanks! LCG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Wow. That's hard to say.

Everything might be fine and you are just trying so hard to fit in that you are over-analyzing.

It could be that you are being too hyper.

It could be that the people in your office are weird.

I can't tell unless I'm actually standing there!

If it makes you feel better, we still like you!

Here's some words of wisdom that I learned the hard way. Be yourself. If it works out it works out. If not, you'll find another place that will accept you for who you are. I was in this town for over a year, didn't think I would ever fit in, and then found a bunch of people to work with that are just like me.

It will all work out.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,506 times
You rock, lilcabingirl! You'll do just fine!

Maybe if you're being a little hyper, the boss might think you're brown-nosing or something? kwim?

I know at my job they look at anyone who hustles to get the job done, like they're from another planet! lol

Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If it makes you feel better, we still like you!

Here's some words of wisdom that I learned the hard way. Be yourself. If it works out it works out. If not, you'll find another place that will accept you for who you are. I was in this town for over a year, didn't think I would ever fit in, and then found a bunch of people to work with that are just like me.

It will all work out.

Awww, that does make me feel better.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
You rock, lilcabingirl! You'll do just fine!

Maybe if you're being a little hyper, the boss might think you're brown-nosing or something? kwim?

I know at my job they look at anyone who hustles to get the job done, like they're from another planet! lol
Thanks Karen. The impression he gave me was like he thought I expected him to get that stuff back to me just as quickly when in actuality, I just wanted to make sure he knew the stuff was there in his pile. His desk is littered with papers and he seems to lose things easily. We'll see. Maybe I'm just being overly-paranoid. He did just get back from a half day in Kentucky so he was probably tired too.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,438 times
LCG,
Give it time, it will all work out. Give people time to get used to you, poke fun at yourself and just be yourself.
At my last job I had I was in a small office with 2 other women who were really clicky and any chance they got they threw me to the wolves to make themselves look better. I did my job, I ignored them, I poked fun at myself every chance I got. It was a small thing but to me I felt it minimized any faults they could use against me. After all I knew nothing about working in an office, heck I didn't even know how to send a fax. I thought for the first year my boss hated me as did my co-workers. Then after a year it came time for raises, the notice of what my raise was was written in a really nice note from my boss. You know after I made it threw that first year, I really liked my job, but every day for that whole year I really did believe everyone hated me. Just be friendly and soon you won't be "THE NEW GIRL" sny longer and your co workers will like you for you.Give yourself an adjustment period. It will all work out.
I like you if that counts?
Pam

Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Wink You are doing fine and just have new job jitters!

LilCabinGirl, you probably just took him by surprise by your enthusiasm. Maybe he is the kind of boss who is observant enough that he will notice your efficiency without you saying a word about what was accomplished.

That would let you both out of an awkward situation.

Perhaps, he even appreciates you being so organized, since you describe him as not too neat with his desktop, that he will quickly adapt to your efficient system of having all completed work ready for him to handle.

It sounds like you are off to a great start. And, remember, no matter how nice we are, not everybody is going to like or accept us. It is just a fact of life. So, I wouldn't give a second thought to anyone in your office who seems to be a little off to you!

Like Hik said, we like you just the way you are!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks ya'll. I feel better now. I worry too much. I will stop being so worried about it and just let it happen.

And I like everyone too.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
At first, my boss and I butted heads.

As it turned out, we were probably too much alike.

I had gone back to work after having surgery and suddenly had a job that I had never done with a boss that I hadn't really dealt with. I went home and cried a few times, last summer.

I recently received my review, and, to paraphrase, it said, "Heidi gets along with everyone. She is very well liked. And she take criticism well." My boss read that to me, looking me right in the eye.

When I drop dead I want someone to dig out that review and read it at my funeral.

Isn't that what we all want? To be liked and like everyone?

So, my point is, you just never know. You're probably are doing great, and have no idea that you are.

Chin up and relax.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
Is LCG's boss surprised that she is such a go-getter and very efficient? why would he be surprised if every person who lives in TN is the same way? according to everyone on this forum, people from TN work just as hard as people from any other state. I'm not disagreeing with them as far as office jobs go like LCG's. So why would her boss be taken aback by it? perhaps he is just weird as previously mentioned.

No one will even believe me that I am a hardworker. I can't get a job, I am ready to give up. I have so many good interviews, and they don't pick me, so I don't know what's going on. Maybe my teeth aren't white enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville